Why mobile data on Cell C keeps disappearing

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Why mobile data on Cell C keeps disappearing

Tests for disappearing data by MyBroadband Insights reveals that mobile data on Cell C’s Home Connecta Flexi package disappears over time, even when mobile data is switched off.

For this experiment, MyBroadband used Nokia 5 smartphones that run a default version of Android.

Our test devices were reset to their factory defaults and were updated over Wi-Fi to ensure no minor updates happened during the test.

Leno

Expert Member
“As previously advised, under the 3GPP LTE standards, data traffic is possible across the 4G mobile network even when the ‘mobile data’ setting is turned off,” explained Visser.

scary thought when you are roaming internationally and think turning mobile data off will protect you

CmdrTrix

It seems like the phones are validly using data if that was VCs response. All they could do was make the data used free. They cant stop the phone from attempting to use the data.

Vodacom’s response to our queries at the time provided curious details.

Data was being deducted due to connections to Google services such as “connectivitycheck.gstatic.com” and traffic to resources that belong to Amazon, HP, Time Warner Cable, Verizon, China Telecom, and MIT.

Vodacom appears to have addressed this issue as data is no longer disappearing on its network when we tested it in August.

CyberMatix303

So they stole 1.36 Mb, Last month they stole 50 Gb from me, and there is nothing I can do about it. And I have tried.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Why does Cell C still exist? (this is not intended to be a rhetorical question)

She can disappear with my data anytime.

It seems I incorrectly assumed her gender:
Cell C chief technology officer Schalk Visser said that this could be due to various conditions,

Were you perhaps referring to the stock photo in the article?

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
Why does Cell C still exist? (this is not intended to be a rhetorical question)

It seems I incorrectly assumed her gender:

Were you perhaps referring to the stock photo in the article?
Only reason I looked at the article was because of the photo.