Why South Africans replace iPhone batteries instead of upgrading

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Why South Africans replace iPhone batteries instead of upgrading

Apple recently began blocking its Battery Health feature for iPhones that had their batteries replaced by a third-party repair company, responding to criticism by saying that this change was implemented for safety reasons.

“We take the safety of our customers very seriously and want to make sure any battery replacement is done properly,” said an Apple spokesperson.

system32

Expert Member
Planned obsolescence and locking.
Miss the days when batteries were user replaceable.

neoprema

Expert Member
I agree 100% with Apple.

Because when, and it WILL happen - that an iPhone turns into a burning inferno from a dodgy chinese battery, its not going to be "let's blame the dodgy battery company" its going to be "Apple phones are terrible!"

LCBXX

Honorary Master
All reasons given as to why options to replace the battery speak to this: Apple wants you to buy their new, ridiculously expense, devices.

Hellhound105

Expert Member
I agree 100% with Apple.

Because when, and it WILL happen - that an iPhone turns into a burning inferno from a dodgy chinese battery, its not going to be "let's blame the dodgy battery company" its going to be "Apple phones are terrible!"

Daruk

Honorary Master
I agree 100% with Apple.

The environment trumps Apple's reputation.

noxibox

Honorary Master
All reasons given as to why options to replace the battery speak to this: Apple wants you to buy their new, ridiculously expense, devices.
Apple offers replacement batteries. It's not even really that expensive when compared to buying an original battery for something like a camera. So they're not trying to force anyone to upgrade.

I don't agree with them disabling the battery monitor for 3rd party batteries though.

randburgred

randburgred

randburgred

Went to Apple for a new battery. Told it would be over R1000 and would get it back the next day Went to Fix Northgate cost R300 and was ready in less than an hour