Why you love your ADSL ISP

Necuno

Court Jester
Why you love your ADSL ISP
South Africa’s top ISPs reveal what their secret is to creating happy customers and keeping them happy
That might be their perception, but I for one use them out of necessity and not out of love.

Currently as as a customer you have to make due with what is available, that which is the least inconvenience, but gives you close to what you want. There is hardly an isp that can at present realistically offer actual services in terms of what we really want.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
I am happy with my ISP because it just works. Openweb gold.

snugglez64

That might be their perception, but I for one use them out of necessity and not out of love.

Currently as as a customer you have to make due with what is available, that which is the least inconvenience, but gives you close to what you want. There is hardly an isp that can at present realistically offer actual services in terms of what we really want.
Yep, I'd have to agree.

Bern

Expert Member

I think they kind of make the point that since Telkom is the largest part of the chain the ISPs are doing a lot more with the smallest part. Sure they could do a little bit more, but unfortunately since Telkom determine price and service levels for the whole national loop they are kind of hamstrung. I just think of my ADSL experience and roughly 95% of all issues I have had are Telkom related, the ISP could do nothing - this includes downtime, disconnects, congestion, jitter and so forth. In fact I am being conservative in that figure, it is probably higher.

It is possible to connect to some ISPs directly, Neotel Fibre is a great option for a quality link at a somewhat reasonable price and seems eveyone using them (not the wireless stuff) is very happy.

MartyMarts

Spontaneous Interruption

^ exactly. You're paying for a service. Love's got nothing to do with it.

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy

Sums it up nicely.

km2

Expert Member
Telkom's making it difficult for me to love my ISP with their congested exchange problems. Even though I know that it's (probably) not WebAfrica's fault, whenever my speeds drop or I have lots of packet loss, I still wonder if it's something wrong on WebAfrica's network. It's made me go from someone who could recommend them as "the best ISP if you paid the extra cash", to having enough bad experiences on my own connection that I'm no longer sure.

Valis

Expert Member
Currently as as a customer you have to make do with what is available, that which is the least inconvenience, but gives you close to what you want. There is hardly an isp that can at present realistically offer actual services in terms of what we really want.
TIFI

brentmin

I just cannot understand what makes people stay with Mweb. I had continuous frustration with their tech team and eventuially pulled all web hosting and adfsl accounts away from them. I am with Afrihost for four years now and love them.

biometrics

Honorary Master
This article should have been titled: Why you hate your ADSL ISP

WebAfrica, I'm thinking of you!

Bern

Expert Member
I just cannot understand what makes people stay with Mweb. I had continuous frustration with their tech team and eventuially pulled all web hosting and adfsl accounts away from them. I am with Afrihost for four years now and love them.
Because some head to head testing proved MWEB was generally faster, in my case anyway. I love what Afrihost are doing, but MWEB were/are providing a better service for my needs. Their telephonic tech team does need some sprucing up I will agree on that.