Wifi help

Nees

My neighbor is kind enough to allow me to use his WiFi to look for work etc but the signal is bad, I have a huawei b315 router and a mobile router, can I use any of the two to extend the signal to me without using a network cable?

Nees

I think he is on Telkom, my WiFi is disconnected, I just have the 2 routers that I want to use to extend his signal to me

Nees

The signal is bad for me to receive but if I go to his house signal is good, he gave me his password to connect to my phone but its bad signal that I received

Nees

Can I use my router as a WiFi extender to extend the signal to me?

bender-bending-Rodriguez

a way to do this would be by means of range extender that plugs into a wall socket for power but it has to be configured correctly other wise they dont work. config the extender by connecting to host router WIFI with the extender. login onto the extender once connected to the host WIFI configure network settings to Same ip range of the router. with subnet and default gateway then disable dhcp on the extender you are good to go.

e.g. host router 10.0.0.2. Extender IP 10.0.0.x (not 2 though, any number onward up to 254) extender subnet 255.255.255.0 extender gateway 10.0.0.2 and disable DHCP then you are done.

dont use the suggested wps pin button as quick install guide suggest this sometimes does not work its intermittent

TheFriendlyGhost

Expert Member
A little more info please:
- Are the houses attached
- if not, how close are the buildings
- how far is his router from that point in HIS house

That portable router will not work as an extender, but there may be a way to configure the router to extend the network

Nees

We are next door to each other in a complex but he doesn't want a cable running through as he has a 2 year old, will my B315s be able to receive his WiFi signal then u just connect to mine? I am trying to avoid the extender due to unemployment and financial restraints.

Park@82

Honorary Master
make and model of the portable router? do you have a spot in the house that the signal is acceptable?

Nees

Ok, I will connect it to my laptop and see if there is a way, thanks

Nees

Checked both the routers and no option to extend a signal, only range extender, does anyone have an extender that they are not using?

TheFriendlyGhost

Expert Member
Checked both the routers and no option to extend a signal, only range extender, does anyone have an extender that they are not using?

You just need to configure it with the same SSID (and password) but one a different channel. google wifi channels and make sure it's not on an overlapping band (this will create a dead spot) ie: 1, 6, 11

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Get a device that has Wireless bridge capabilities (You connect wirelessly from the device to the SSID that his AP is broadcasting) Device like this:
(This is a cheapo, get a decent device, 2.4Ghz would be best as it needs to connect through walls to his AP in his house)

https://www.takealot.com/d-link-dap-1160-wireless-n-150-bridge-access-point/PLID40649826?gclid=CjwKCAjwndvlBRANEiwABrR32K_cTTm_LQtyhE1_8mW-BWWfoBkBVEEkHBm_5wA811LDKSpxLqk7bhoCHoAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Once you created the bridge you plug another AP into the device lan port, in AP mode, and then setup your own wifi in your house on that second device.