WiFi - Laptop and router

LiamRG

Hi

I hope someone can help out with this problem.

I have a Dell Latitude D830 laptop which is WiFi enabled. At home i make use of the Telkom router Bilion [model number i can not remember].

When connecting to the router using WiFi, I get disconnected. The WiFi indicator on the laptop goes off.

When i restart the laptop, i am able to connect again.
The router is in the bedroom and i use the laptop in the lounge.

What could cause this problem? The laptop of the router?

Regards
L

McGuywer

Executive Member
Have you tried connecting to other routers?
Is the correct up to date drivers installed?
Do you have encryption on the router?

acidrain

Executive Member
Sounds like the laptop if your indicator light goes off. That is, of course, if you referring to the light that comes on to show your wifi device is enabled.

First try connecting with the router next to you, if it doesn't disconnect, it could be a signal issue. If it does still dc then either the pc is stuffed or the router. To check use another router, if the problem persists, then its the laptop. If the problem goes away then most probably the router is buggered.

just-a-nerd

hey,

acidrain pretty much summed it up. I'd like to add:
Notebook side:
Usually between the windows zero config, the 3rd party wifi software and the physical on/off switch for wifi, something screws up. Try re-installing drivers, settings to default, use windows zero config instead of 3rd party software client.

Router side:
Check that there is some sort of pathway for the signal to travel to your notebook, 2.4Ghz signals suffer going through walls, so they bounce around alot. Think bouncing from room to room. Check that the router and notebook use the same security settings, downscale to WEP if need be, set the routers data rate to a constant, like 54 or 36 mbps.

Even if the signal is strong, there's alot of setting that can mess it up..