Wifi light switches

Joeboy69

Expert Member
Thanks
Mine just started working ok.
Must really move them off the server and run a raspberry pi.
Just not reliable enough for me.
Is this complicated to do if the RPi is running Kodi at the moment for streaming purposes?

Dolby

Honorary Master
Keep in mind you'll require a neutral the wall for it to work. Most houses don't have - I was lucky enough to have though. I installed a Sonoff Basic behind my light switch and left the switch on. You can operate the switch manually by selecting your Power On State to on - but not the most elegant solution.

[video=youtube;giBpx7xZdzQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giBpx7xZdzQ[/video]

Aardvark

Keep in mind you'll require a neutral the wall for it to work. Most houses don't have - I was lucky enough to have though. I installed a Sonoff Basic behind my light switch and left the switch on. You can operate the switch manually by selecting your Power On State to on - but not the most elegant solution.

[video=youtube;giBpx7xZdzQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giBpx7xZdzQ[/video]
Playing up again for me. Google Home controls it but not the app.

Aardvark

Playing up again for me. Google Home controls it but not the app.
Another idea is to replace the switch with a bell press type switch and wire it across the sonoff contacts.
Testing that now and it seems to work ok.

Aardvark

Still having sonoff problems.
If I toggle them from the switch I get the notification of a state change. The google home is able to controll them. The app also displays the changed state but I am unable to change them from the app.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Still having sonoff problems.
If I toggle them from the switch I get the notification of a state change. The google home is able to controll them. The app also displays the changed state but I am unable to change them from the app.
Same. I've pretty much decided I'm going to reflash and go openHAB

richjdavies

I actually just had that stopped working.
I can't imagine anything more annoying than a light switch that occasionally doesn't work. Give me an old fashioned bit of copper any day! Wifi light switches... why!!!

Dolby

Honorary Master
I can't imagine anything more annoying than a light switch that occasionally doesn't work. Give me an old fashioned bit of copper any day! Wifi light switches... why!!!
In fairness - it's electronic and that's the nature of anything electronic or mechanical - they break eventually. Radios, TVs, car, phones etc. This was the first I've had of 400+ units.

I also think the benefit of them being 'smart' outweighs the small chance is breaks