Wifi light switches

phaktza

Executive Member
I can't download the app using my SA Apple store account and I'm not going to create a US one just for that. Guess I'm a weird person, but it's the small things.
Hmmm... for Android we just use the Amazon Underground app. I don't know if there are other suggestions?

ebendl

Expert Member
I can't download the app using my SA Apple store account and I'm not going to create a US one just for that. Guess I'm a weird person, but it's the small things.
Oh ok. I started with a US iTunes account before the App store had Games and a ton of the normal stuff, so I've pretty much always had two of them. Easy enough to switch and the fact that auto-update updates both makes it even easier.

JoE

So I've recently got a google home mini and I'm looking to automate the light switches in my home. I still want to be able to manually turn them on and off but would love to be able to ask google assistant to do so sometimes. Is there a solution (sonoff switches?) that I could wire to my existing switches to ensure that they work in that manner?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
So I've recently got a google home mini and I'm looking to automate the light switches in my home. I still want to be able to manually turn them on and off but would love to be able to ask google assistant to do so sometimes. Is there a solution (sonoff switches?) that I could wire to my existing switches to ensure that they work in that manner?
Sonoff do replacement wall switches...

JoE

Sonoff do replacement wall switches...
Is there a specific name for them like a model number? I could go to my local store and look then.

Also I have just spent money on some really smart looking wall switches so can this sit in the wall behind those switches so that the boss is happy?

phaktza

Executive Member
Is there a specific name for them like a model number? I could go to my local store and look then.

Also I have just spent money on some really smart looking wall switches so can this sit in the wall behind those switches so that the boss is happy?
Just note the Sonoff T1 are EU and UK sizes (the 4x4 switches).

The Sonoff Touch US will fit the SA 2x4 switches. At present this is only 1-gang will be available in 2- and 3-gang later this year.

If you want to keep you existing switches you could fit a Sonoff Basic behind the existing switch - just remove from the casing.

As with any of these Sonoff wall switches, please ensure you have a neutral and a live wire in the socket!

The alternative is Qwikswitch.

Last edited:

Aardvark

Another simpler idea is the Philips hue lamps. Rather expensive but does not require any rewiring. Purchased a few locally and they work well.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
The challenge with the lamps, or putting the sonoff in series with the switch, is training family members to stop using the effin switch.......

rorz0r

Executive Member
The challenge with the lamps, or putting the sonoff in series with the switch, is training family members to stop using the effin switch.......
With a third party firmware you can instead wire up just the sonoff then use the existing switch wired to a gpio input on the sonoff. This way the existing switches will still "work" though more like it's a 2 way switch.

phaktza

Executive Member
With a third party firmware you can instead wire up just the sonoff then use the existing switch wired to a gpio input on the sonoff. This way the existing switches will still "work" though more like it's a 2 way switch.
I like this idea, the manual override is a problem.

Lachdanan

Their servers are probably down again and they removed LAN functionality for whatever stupid reason.

Just by the way - i just bought this: www.bondhome.io (for no other reason than that it looks cool. waiting for amazon and then will share how it works)

Aardvark

I guess so. Really need to flash new firmware and run a raspberry pi.
Thanks
Johnathan

Aardvark

My sonoffs are still offline. Saw there was a message about server upgrades. I tried to add a new sonoff but it also fails.