Wifi to neighbours

Robone

Bought my linksys router (WAP) today. Have to look at another antenna shortly. Idiot for selling the three antennas I had. Then jawug and link up to who ever, and my neighbours. Still have spare bandwidth to get rid of every month.

arf9999

MyBroadband Member
Razer0 said:
freeek please indicate what your pings are like? Sentech have crappy pings (of late) because its wireless, hence yours should be too? Or do you have the same dsl pings because of the hardware that you use?
"Wireless" is not the only reason for the crappy pings on Sentech. The main reason for latency is within the IPW network system and also the shaping and BW (mis)management. Signals travel at the same speed through the air as they do down wires: the speed of light.

WiFi setup shouldn't add majorly to ping time..I'm running a D-link AP on ADSL and my pings are almost identical if I connect via ethernet or via WiFi from the bottom of my garden (about 50-60m). If I move around, I get a few lost packets (2% or less).

TheRoDent

Expert Member
troll-op said:
Daffy that might be a nice idea, but I have now emailed lemon on 18/02, phoned him on his cell on 21/02, have emailed encrypted on 22/02…. I’m still waiting on a reply from either of them. :(
I’m on top of a hill, with a view of the Magaliesburg and PTA on a clear day. I thought Jawug was looking for backbone or transnodes … obviously the request was not meant to be taken seriously.

I made the offer attempt thrice… What’s the saying, 3 strikes you’re out. :rolleyes: I’m going the same route as Obelix, share to my neighbours, forget the rest.
It is a not-for profit effort, so you have to understand that we all have lives too and that threats of three strikes aren't all that important. Joining up with Jawug is a mentality, and an agreement to share. Not a right... We're paying for the network out of our own pockets, and donate our time to it.

Are you near Pretoria? This is the Joburg Area Wireless User Group after all? Regardless, the best way to get hold of us is via admin@jawug.za.net or irc.jawug.za.net if you have questions.