Will an SSD make a difference on my office donkey?

FlashSA

Executive Member
So this is my old girl:

CPU.PNG

I only use Excel, run 4x CCTV camera feed on a second monitor and have Chrome with 5-10 tabs open during the day. Will an SSD give me any noticeable speed bump compared to the 5400 3.5 drive I am currently using? I'm trying to run this machine for as long as possible until pain>buying new

gamer16

Honorary Master
Oh yeah definitely, especially with boot up and in chrome as you have so little memory the page file will be used which is slow, on a SSD you really shouldn't have one as its fast enough so you can reduce it to the minimum

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
IMO yes and it will run cooler and use less power.
5400 RPM Drives are so slow and have little cache

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Oh yeah definitely, especially with boot up and in chrome as you have so little memory the page file will be used which is slow, on a SSD you really shouldn't have one as its fast enough so you can reduce it to the minimum
No!
You shouldn't have a page file on an ssd at all if you can avoid it.

The speed of the storage has nothing to do with page file size anyway.

So, yes, ssd, but also double the RAM to minimise swapping.

gamer16

Honorary Master
No!

A: Hence I said reduce it to the minimum, think its 16mb so errors and logs can be taken for obvious reasons.

B: Didn't say the speed of storage has anything to do with the size, I said its slow. Read carefully.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
No!

Can confirm. This is a good way to go.

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
Wife had an old Dell Optiplex from circa 2010. From pressing the power button to the last app running(Skype), it took 8 minutes 50 seconds. I cloned the C drive to an SSD and the boot-up time came down to 45 seconds.

So there alone it will be faster. Up and running, everything else also performed better. Worth every cent if you do not want to replace the donkey.

Ghoster79

"Will an SSD make a difference on my office donkey?" depends on how much of her face it covers;)

Wasabee!

Expert Member
4GB more RAM and an SSD will be like a horse steroid injection in your little donkey.

[XC] Oj101

Expert Member
No!

This was true in the early days before proper TRIM, garbage collection and wear leveling, but I’d debate it today. My Intel SSD has had a 32 GB page file for more than five years and health is still at 99% with no reallocated sectors.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Yeah my media pc has pentuim g4400 and a ssd, feels much faster than i7 laptop with 5400rpm spinner :p

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
Wife had an old Dell Optiplex from circa 2010. From pressing the power button to the last app running(Skype), it took 8 minutes 50 seconds. I cloned the C drive to an SSD and the boot-up time came down to 45 seconds.

So there alone it will be faster. Up and running, everything else also performed better. Worth every cent if you do not want to replace the donkey.
And if you do eventually get a new box/laptop, you can use the ssd in there as well. Win win.