Will Cell C LTE-A sim card work in a 3G only area?

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Does anyone know if a Cell C LTE-A fixed wireless sim card from Axxess or Afrihost will work in a 3G-only area? I want to get one of these packages but intend to use between between 2 different sites, one in an LTE-A area and one in a 3G-only area. I know the standard Cell C prepaid LTE sim cards will fall back to 3G if no LTE is available, but does the same apply to these special fixed wireless sim cards?

Hempiz

Doubt it.

For me, It never connects to the 3G. It's 4G or nothing. Tried it when the 4G network was having issues and it's the same as trying to force connect to a MTN or Vodacom network.

mkhululi.mm

Does anyone know if a Cell C LTE-A fixed wireless sim card from Axxess or Afrihost will work in a 3G-only area? I want to get one of these packages but intend to use between between 2 different sites, one in an LTE-A area and one in a 3G-only area. I know the standard Cell C prepaid LTE sim cards will fall back to 3G if no LTE is available, but does the same apply to these special fixed wireless sim cards?
Collected my cell C LTE sim card from Afrihost yesterday. It's a standard cell C prepaid LTE sim. The package is being offered as LTE and not LTE-A.

hackerjargon

Nope, I've tested with my LTE sim from CellC. Its' LTE only. 3G does not work as a fall back.
I have only 1 bar at times with it at the window and some times 2 bars if I'm lucky in my area.
So its a hit and miss on the LTE side with the tower being a distance away, but it works for what I need for it.
I could get extral antenna's etc, but can't be bothered and present. Like I said, works for what I need at the moment.

Last edited:

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Company Rep
Hi deweyzeph

Thank you for contacting Cell C.

Please note that the LTE-A SIM card does not default to 3G if not in LTE-A coverage area.

^NZ

itshpro

Just an add-on to this question will a Cell C Fixed Wireless LTE-A SIM card from Afrihost work in a standard LTE mobile router like the Huawei E5770 or E5573?

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Company Rep
Hi deweyzeph

CELL C LTE-A Plans offer LTE only access with no fall back to 2G/3G. Should your LTE coverage be weak or fail, you will not have any 3G/2G coverage.

^NS

itshpro

Hi deweyzeph

CELL C LTE-A Plans offer LTE only access with no fall back to 2G/3G. Should your LTE coverage be weak or fail, you will not have any 3G/2G coverage.

^NS
Just an add-on to this question will a Cell C Fixed Wireless LTE-A SIM card from Afrihost work in a standard LTE mobile router like the Huawei E5770 or E5573?