Will HTML5 unseat Flash?

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
IE 9 supports HTML5 video tag but not Canvas - plus it's probably only gonna come out in 2011 - FAIL!

RoosTa

Expert Member
So far, I really like Silverlight. What makes Silverlight much more attractive is that you can convert it quite easily into an (WPF) application for windows too.

eltherza

Expert Member
Reason for Apple to exclude flash is actually because it's a loophole to produce applications for the i-product without going through the apple store. Ironically the major killing blow to flash is because it's become a treat to normal applications.

But flash is still the best out there for RIA. Almost all car (ford, honda etc) websites use flash and done right flash is really amazing. I don't think html will hurt flash to quickly to be honest, although it will begin to phase it out over the next 10 years possibly.

Polemus

Expert Member
Flash has it's place, i wouldn't say i hate it, but rather i don't know how to use it. For rich client web apps flash used to be your only option, now we have silverlight,

murraybiscuit

Executive Member
here's a good article on the matter:
http://www.infoworld.com/d/develope...lash-and-silverlight-291?page=0,0&source=fssr

"HTML5 faces many challenges," says Dave Story, vice president of developer tools at Adobe. "The browser market remains highly fragmented, and incompatibilities between browsers reign. The HTML5 timeline states that it will be at least a decade before the evolving HTML5/CSS 3 efforts are finalized, and it remains to be seen what parts will be implemented consistently across all browsers. In the meantime, the Flash platform will continue to deliver a ubiquitous, consistent platform that enables ever richer, more engaging user experiences."

murraybiscuit

Executive Member
In the same way, I think it will be a very small and quick step for someone to release iPad apps that support flash. The tech community doesn't wait for hardware manufacturers to provide software solutions.

yes, but we'll see apple's true intentions. their users are clamouring for flash.
will they concede or clamp down further?
are they seeking to bring out their own flash/silverlight proprietary technology?

Joe Average

So far, I really like Silverlight. What makes Silverlight much more attractive is that you can convert it quite easily into an (WPF) application for windows too.

+1 - Can't agree more - Silverlight is faster to develop with and extremely powerful - not only for multimedia but also as a solution to business applications (grids, data maintenance, graphs, etc.). Microsoft has finally seen the light with web development.

In fact, all Silverlight apps can run "Out-of-Browser" then it looks like any other Windows Forms app. So, no need to convert your XAML to WPF, keep it all in Silverlight - the 2 technologies are very similar.

Last edited:

dequadin

Expert Member
IE 9 supports HTML5 video tag but not Canvas - plus it's probably only gonna come out in 2011 - FAIL!

The latest beta of IE 9 scores a pitiful 55% on Acid3, don't bring M$ anywhere near a "web standards" discussion (even if it is to FAIL them), they haven't earned it.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Yes, but at what cost. If silverlight is widely adopted then we are back to square one. MS controlling the browser market & killing conpetitors with constant changes to proprietory "standards" & artificially incompatibilites.

Open competition is crucial to rapid progress. I think the SA internet landscape has demonstrated that well enough.

redarrow

Expert Member
Yes, but at what cost. If silverlight is widely adopted then we are back to square one. MS controlling the browser market & killing conpetitors with constant changes to proprietory "standards" & artificially incompatibilites.

Open competition is crucial to rapid progress. I think the SA internet landscape has demonstrated that well enough.
I agree with this.

Propriety technologies such as Flash and Silverlight are not ideal solutions.

Saajid

Expert Member
All Adobe has to do in order to keep Flash alive is to open-source it, make it an open standard that anyone can develop on. They will have to submit it to the IETF or IEEE or some other internet governing body to make it a standard.

It will be similar to what they did with PDF. It used to be proprietory before, but now PDF is an open standard, and anyone can write software or tools to produce and manipulate PDF documents.

Adobe still makes it's money from selling all it's Flash software and utilities (Fireworx, etc, bought out from Macromedia). It will take time for other vendors to produce competing software suites and tools to develop flash applications on. Also, Adobe's own tools will always be the de-facto standard for creating flash applications and animations...

DarkStreet

Expert Member
In fact, all Silverlight apps can run "Out-of-Browser"

So can AIR, plus AIR apps can run on multiple operating systems.

HTML5 to replace Flash? Not likely. According to Web Browser Standards Report, "As of August 2009, Internet Explorer 8, Firefox 2 and 3 have reasonably complete levels of implementation of CSS 2.1" - keep in mind we are talking about CSS 2.1 here, something that became a recommendation almost 3 years ago (preceded by CSS 2.0 which became a recommendation in 1998). To implement HTML5 in such a way that it "overtakes" Flash, it means all browsers will have to support it AND all users will have to upgrade their browsers to the latest version. As we see by the number of people still on IE6 (which was released in 2001), this will not be a quick switch.

As for the following:

The arguments against Flash are numerous: open source advocates don't like it because it is proprietary; browser makers don't like it because it creates headaches when it frequently crashes; Microsoft dislikes it because it has its own Silverlight platform; and Apple has flat out refused to include it in its products.

1. It may be proprietary but the SWF file format is available as an open specification allowing for development of 3rd party applications to read and compile SWF files. What more do they really want?
2. I've yet to had Flash crash by browser.
3. Microsoft Silverlight? No thanks, although I see why MS will not like Flash. They are already facing possible anti-trust suits if they include Silverlight as part of the OS like they did with IE.
4. Apple... well Apple are a bunch of idiots that make it difficult for developers to create applications and their rules on iPhone apps are draconian. No Flash on the iPad? Why am I not surprised.

SVG has been around since 1998 and became a recommendation in 2001 - from the looks of it, it simply never caught on and I'm not sure if it will this time.

I do agree that new technologies may create a small dent in Flash's popularity, but as for total obliteration - not any time soon.

Venom Rush

Expert Member
In the case of Microsoft - If web developers ever want M$ to comply with standards they must stop developing a separate style sheet for IE.

On a side not, this may force those on older browsers, where the css isn't designed for older browsers, to wake up and stop using them.

I've altogether stopped developing websites for IE6. I flat out refuse. If someone tells me they're using IE6 I slap them (not really, but I'd like to).