Will private power generation facilities save the day?

Will private power generation facilities be enough to put an end to load shedding?

• Yes - say goodbye to loadshedding

Votes: 39 19.3%
  • They will help, but not enough to end it

Votes: 138 68.3%
  • No - they won't make a difference

Votes: 15 7.4%
  • Other

Votes: 10 5.0%

• Total voters

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Will amended regulations exempting generation projects up to 100MW from the NERSA licensing requirements be enough to put an end to load shedding going forward?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
For the ones generating the power yes.
Which relieves some of the strain on Eskom's network and my understanding is they will be allowed to connect to the grid and sell any surplus.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Which relieves some of the strain on Eskom's network and my understanding is they will be allowed to connect to the grid and sell any surplus.
That's the only good thing, as large industry is the biggest users, I mean 20% is residential usage.
There is probably going to still be some red tape on the feeding back into the grid thanks to municipalities.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
That's the only good thing, as large industry is the biggest users, I mean 20% is residential usage.
There is probably going to still be some red tape on the feeding back into the grid thanks to municipalities.
Permits will be required apparently.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
It should help reduce load shedding, but could make price increases worse.

As big business shifts to self generation Eskom's sales will likely take a hit, and income a bigger hit. Eskom's big direct customers generally pay their bills, unlike municipalities.

Brian_G

Executive Member
There would have to be incentive for private power producers to create enough of a surplus, if I was one I would be holding back with much caution and distrust given this grabbamint and Eishkom.

TelkomUseless

Honorary Master
It would have helped.. but the BEE requirements will just fck up everything.

And if eskom should fail the ANC will lose a lot of voters...

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
The answer is no because e.g. wind cannot be too localized, you will still need a grid to connect to other sources.

Will it probably help relieve some load shedding? Probably, but I still doubt it as ~15% of Eskom's power usage is just the mines, they will need to be grid tied as they can't not have power for a while, and doing batteries for so much power is probably not financially feasible. Lots of businesses are like that, and once renewable + battery even if renewable is localized becomes cost effective, Eskom debt will cause huge issues.

chrisc

Executive Member
Not immediately no, that is impossible. It takes time to build the infrastructure, but is more than a step in the right direction

I still cannot figure out why minister Mantashe was so against it? You might think he relishes holding the country back

Botha22

The answer is no because e.g. wind cannot be too localized, you will still need a grid to connect to other sources.

Will it probably help relieve some load shedding? Probably, but I still doubt it as ~15% of Eskom's power usage is just the mines, they will need to be grid tied as they can't not have power for a while, and doing batteries for so much power is probably not financially feasible. Lots of businesses are like that, and once renewable + battery even if renewable is localized becomes cost effective, Eskom debt will cause huge issues.
I don't think this announcement is limited to solar and wind plants only. Those companies with deeper pockets could look at other alternatives (gas, waste, hydro etc), e.g.
https://www.power-technology.com/projects/sasol-gas-engine-power-plant/

Johnatan56

Honorary Master

heartbroken

Expert Member
As soon as the mines jump on the new 100mw limit, Eskom will have a bad time. I can see plenty of mines investing in self generation now

wingnut771

Honorary Master
As soon as the mines jump on the new 100mw limit, Eskom will have a bad time. I can see plenty of mines investing in self generation now
and then selling it to the nearby homes, only a matter of time. Eventually IMHO Eskom will be grid only, ie: transmission distribution, no generation because it will be broken.

heartbroken

Expert Member
and then selling it to the nearby homes, only a matter of time. Eventually IMHO Eskom will be grid only, ie: transmission distribution, no generation because it will be broken.
They should have done that years ago, they can just take a margin on too of everything transmitted on their network