Window 10 Pro Data Usage stuck on 0MB.

Over-Dose

I have 3 machines which all have the latest Windows 10 Pro 1803 installed in the same way. One is a desktop that stays home, the other is a multimedia laptop also for home or work use, and one is a work laptop exclusively.

The laptop for work has the data usage stays stuck at 0MB for any type of network connection, no matter what I download via that laptop, unlike the other two machines which has the data usage showing stats for the various apps on the various network connections they use to get online.

I’m just trying to figure out what could have made the work laptop end up being stuck on 0MB and not tally up any data usage, but it’s the same install on all three machines.

I’m not in a position to reinstall everything on the work machine, as I have gotten all the software I need for work setup and authorised, which is a pain to do.

So any solution / ideas cannot include doing a clean install again.

I’m open to explore any other options.

PS. I’ve checked the network settings on the work laptop as well, and they match the other two machines, but the data usage meter doesn’t work on the one machine.

Any ideas will be welcome.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
First the obvious questions:
Is the network cable plugged in?
If wifi is the wifi enabled and connected?

Win+R
cmd
ipconfig

What do you see?

Over-Dose

First the obvious questions:
Is the network cable plugged in?
If wifi is the wifi enabled and connected?

Win+R
cmd
ipconfig

What do you see?
I know it may seem obvious, but yeah, the work laptop has full access to the internet, be it over LAN (in office) or WiFI (at home), and I'm able to do all things internet related on the laptop. Just yesterday Windows 10 performed some updated on all three machines, and they applied just fine.

And I've attached what I see when I type ipconfig from my work connection.

Attachments

sajunky

Honorary Master
0B usage? You give a bad idea for Microsoft, I am sure they picked it up!

Remove network adapter. to do it, go to Advanced option, it brings you to the Win7-style Network connections (part of Control Panel). Then go to the Device Manager and remove this network device. Go to the option Scan for hardware changes or reboot, it will reinstall drivers.

Wait little bit while Windows is battling to restore connection to the mothership. If doesn't help, I have no idea. It could be something in the Group Policy settings, but I am unable to point you to the counters-specific service or system process. If such process (or service) is unable to start (or crashing), you will see it in Event Viewer, check it out.

Over-Dose

0B usage? You give a bad idea for Microsoft, I am sure they picked it up!

Remove network adapter. to do it, go to Advanced option, it brings you to the Win7-style Network connections (part of Control Panel). Then go to the Device Manager and remove this network device. Go to the option Scan for hardware changes or reboot, it will reinstall drivers.

Wait little bit while Windows is battling to restore connection to the mothership. If doesn't help, I have no idea. It could be something in the Group Policy settings, but I am unable to point you to the counters-specific service or system process. If such process (or service) is unable to start (or crashing), you will see it in Event Viewer, check it out.
Yeah, I had just stumbled across two articles online that have started to shed some light on what the issue may be. And they both point to what you're suggesting as well.

But they specifically state that it is most likely older Kernel Filter-Hook Drivers (KFHD) drivers that are installed on the system. I don't have any of the known culprits installed on my system, but I then searched some more, and found a Microsoft article where another poster specifically states that removing the "Killer LAN" drivers (which I do have on my laptop) as having solved their problems.

So now I'm still trying to figure out what will happen when I uninstall the LAN drivers for my work laptop which is connected via LAN to the server, what is going to replace these drivers? Will Windows 10 Pro just update to whatever generic drivers that it can find online, and then I should stick with those, as opposed to what is provided on the Manufacturer's website (in this case MSI)?

sajunky

Honorary Master
So now I'm still trying to figure out what will happen when I uninstall the LAN drivers for my work laptop which is connected via LAN to the server, what is going to replace these drivers? Will Windows 10 Pro just update to whatever generic drivers that it can find online, and then I should stick with those, as opposed to what is provided on the Manufacturer's website (in this case MSI)?
I don't know, it may be sitting very deep in the registry, to force installing the same drivers. Do these killer drivers have uninstall program? Just in case have a WiFi hotspot ready on you phone, just in case when Windows insists to download new drivers.

Over-Dose

I don't know, it may be sitting very deep in the registry, to force installing the same drivers. Do these killer drivers have uninstall program? Just in case have a WiFi hotspot ready on you phone, just in case when Windows insists to download new drivers.
The Killer Lan drivers install a whole suite, but I just read on the Killer Networking site that there is a known conflict between the Killer Lan suite versus the Windows NDU (Windows Network Data Usage Monitoring Driver), and Windows NDU gets disabled by the Killer Lan suite install.

So they said uninstall the suite (or any other driver package that conflicts with Windows NDU), and then install only the networking drivers alone (without a suite) or any other working alternate network driver.

So I'm about to delete the Killer Lan Suite and search for the LAN drivers manually in the driver folder for the Killer LAN, as opposed to running the setup executable, since I have them downloaded on my hard drive.

Let's hope this works fine, because it all sound ok when it's typed out or read out loud. :X3:

Over-Dose

And problem solved. Uninstalled the Killer LAN Suite that was supplied for my MSI laptop, and then checked Device Manager to see for any unrecognised devices, and funny enough the Killer LAN driver remained even after uninstalling the software suite.

I did uninstall the driver, but seemingly Windows 10 Pro recognises the exact needed driver for the hardware, and promptly re-installs the Ethernet driver.

So I did a test download (as per screenshot) and it's now monitoring the data usage as per the other machines. Although I did read somewhere that the Windowso 10 NDU does not monitor all internet traffic accurately, so one should not rely on it to help keep track of data usage of a Windows 10 install.

There are some decent 3rd party apps that can be installed to monitor the data usage to the last byte.

Attachments