Windows 10 is replacing Command Prompt and PowerShell

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Ffs this reminds of linux

That's because you getting Linux to.

“Beginning with Windows Insiders builds this Summer, we will include an in-house custom-built Linux kernel to underpin the newest version of the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL),” explains Microsoft program manager Jack Hammons. “The kernel itself will initially be based on version 4.19, the latest long-term stable release of Linux. The kernel will be rebased at the designation of new long-term stable releases to ensure that the WSL kernel always has the latest Linux goodness.”

More keen on Sandbox feature.

garyc

Expert Member
True.
Bash is the only part of linux that I actually miss when using windows.
WSL will give you a Bash shell while running Windows 10. On one machine I have desktop shortcuts that call batch files which open this shell and carry out things like rsync commands.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Long overdue.

Why Command Prompt even remained after Powershell became a thing is beyond me.

system32

Expert Member
Long overdue.

Why Command Prompt even remained after Powershell became a thing is beyond me.
CMD is still used extensively - IIRC, MS still used CMD to do automated nightly build of Windows.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
CMD is still used extensively - IIRC, MS still used CMD to do automated nightly build of Windows.

Yes, but that shouldn't be the case. They should choose one bloody thing and stick to it instead of half-cocking so many things.

Same way we got this hybrid confused OS with legacy stuff like Control Panel and then new stuff like Settings and not everything everywhere.

I wish when they first went for Metro they just committed and switched fully and completely.

garp

Executive Member
Cool - I've always felt that what's really missing in a terminal window is the ability to display emojis.

konfab

Honorary Master

In 2019, the year of our Lord and Saviour- Donald Trump, Microsoft is applying fancy marketing to a terminal that runs Ubuntu in Windows.. This is the best timeline...

ekske1

Executive Member
Windows 10 is replacing Command Prompt and PowerShell

Microsoft announced at its Build developer conference that it will be launching a new command-line terminal.

The new Windows Terminal aims to deliver a big improvement on the current Command Prompt and PowerShell programmes, and is likely to be used instead of these programmes in the future.

I'd rather use a good terminator like cmder or there is this
https://www.hanselman.com/blog/ANewConsoleForWindowsItsTheOpenSourceWindowsTerminal.aspx