Windows 10 missing Internet APN

Hi guys

Recently installed win10 on three laptops..
Hp probook 650 g2 which are embedded with SIM card slot...
Pc can detect sim...but under cellular options, when I try to add the apn manually there's no options to add internet apn...there's only properties and use sim pin...
Is there an update I'll need to run in this particular machine as the others connected and had all options under cellular

sajunky

Honorary Master
I don't know this laptop, in most cases you can't change default profile but you have an option to create a new profile, so look there.

Stokstert

Executive Member
In Win 10: Settings>Network & Internet>Mobile>Advanced Options

@catman37.I'll try installing the hp connection manager...
@sajunky and stokstert when I >advanced options> The only options that appear is "sim pin" and "properties"...there's no option to add internet apn on this 1 pc...

sajunky

Honorary Master
I didn't mean Windows settings. Such option is typically present in the software which comes with embedded cellular modem, in this case most likely in HP Connection Manager as indicated earlier.

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
Recently installed win10 on three laptops..
Hp probook 650 g2 which are embedded with SIM card slot...
Pc can detect sim...but under cellular options, when I try to add the apn manually there's no options to add internet apn...there's only properties and use sim pin...
Windows 10 recently introduced some changes to how 3G Mobile works, and it's affected a lot of older modems that don't interface with Windows' options at all, removing some of the options and settings needed to work on mobile networks.

HP Connection Manager download

Mobile Connect settings metadata

You need to install Connection Manager first, and then update the metadata.

If you're using Vodacom's network, I would first try using the Mobile Broadband app before fiddling with Connection Manager:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-za/store/p/vodafone-mobile-broadband/9wzdncrfj32d

Noob-Noob

Executive Member
Necro.
I'm really struggling with Windows 10 & APN settings.

For some or other reason some of the laptops just forgets the APN settings then you have to reconfigure it, other scenarios the APN is set but it still says "Cannot connect to APN". Then you put the very same sim in a Windows 7 laptop and it works 100%.
Other laptops asks for the sim pin each and every time you connect, whereby others does not.

There is no HP connection manager available for Windows 10. The Vodacom software does not want to install form the windows 10 store.
The VMB software I got by accident which works on Windows 10 does not detect the build in 3G unit.

Lets also not forget Windows 10 shuts down the device without warning the clients. Ooooo, and windows 10 and its automatic updates...FFS....You can disable and stop the automatic updates, disable it in GPedit. Uninstall & delete Windows Anytime upgrade, set the 3G connection to "metered connection", stand on your head and whistle Jan Pierewiet out of your butt, Automatic updates still turns itself back on after restart and then I have to explain why the clients data is disappearing....One solution I got for this which is not ideal at all but works, is delete the Automatic update service completely.

Im fcking gatvol struggling with this BS.

Noob-Noob

Executive Member
Brand new issue now.
Sim works perfectly on Windows 7 & APN.
Put sim in brand new Windows 10 machine, configure the APN = Cannot connect to APN.
Put sim in a different windows 10 machine = Cannot connect to APN.
Put sim back in Windows 7 machine, works perfectly.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

FU Windows 10.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Have you installed the drivers for your mobile connection hardware?
If you are using a USB dongle they should install, if you are using something built into your laptop, make sure you download the correct drivers for your hardware.

Noob-Noob

Executive Member
Have you installed the drivers for your mobile connection hardware?
If you are using a USB dongle they should install, if you are using something built into your laptop, make sure you download the correct drivers for your hardware.
Yip, Correct drivers. Its brand new laptops from HP, already pre-loaded & build in LTE modules. It detects the sim card. It just does not connect to the APN (via Windows 10).
Oddly enough when you uninstall the drivers, download the drivers from HP's website it works for a while, then it comes back with the same issue.
But ja im going to try with a dongle. The issue with the old ZTE/Vodacom dongles is, Windows 10 also does not like them :p