Windows 10 Offline Updates Possible?

IceQB

Expert Member
Is it possible to just download the updates for Windows 10 & have it installed offline eg.. from a network share?

Solarion

Honorary Master
Would I then have to run setup as per normal OS install again?
No idea. All I know is the ISO is 4gig. What to do with it after you've burned it onto a DVD maybe someone else can explain.

You do get an initial Setup screen after the update as been applied. I did all of this last night however I downloaded it online via Update.

sajunky

Honorary Master
You can download build 1803 as an ISO.

https://www.windowsvibes.com/387/windows-10-version-1803-download/

If there is another Win10 machine on the network, your operating system is able to retrieve updates from that machine.

Correct. Download ISO, mount it as optical drive (double click), then run setup from the virtual drive. It will update your OS to the initial 1803 version. However it is not the most recent version, just an initial 1803 release. After OS is updated to 1803, it will force all current updates, which can consume a large amount of data (as much as 1.5GB) if you are lucky. If you are unlucky it will download updates, installator will crash during installing updates, all updates will be deleted, then the entire process will resume after couple hours.

It is not what you want, I think.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Well, if one can update at least 1 of the computers to the newest updates, and then set the other computers to update from other computers on the LAN, they will pull updates from the other more up to date PCs till all are on the newest, theoretically.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
Autopatcher

AutoPatcher
Developer(s) Antonis Kaladis & Jason Kelley & TheAPGuyInitial release October 15, 2003; 14 years agoStable release
6.2.22 (AutoPatcher)
1.4.43 (APUP) / April 22, 2017; 16 months ago
Operating system XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10Platform Microsoft WindowsAvailable in English (Other translations available)Type Software utilityLicense FreewareWebsite www.autopatcher.net

AutoPatcher is an offline updater and alternative to Microsoft Update that can be used for installing software patches, service packs and other updates for certain Microsoft Windows systems. It allows these to be downloaded on a different machine or in advance, and then installed without an internet connection. By doing this, system updates can be automated and scripted, time and bandwidth required to download relevant updates is reduced, and exposure of unsecured systems online can be avoided. AutoPatcher also allows installation of some common additional software, registry settings, and patches for other Microsoft software, notably Microsoft Office.[1]
AutoPatcher currently exists for Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10 and some server equivalents (Windows 2003 and 2008)
AutoPatcherEngine.jpg

IceQB

Expert Member
Well, if one can update at least 1 of the computers to the newest updates, and then set the other computers to update from other computers on the LAN, they will pull updates from the other more up to date PCs till all are on the newest, theoretically.
Will give this a go as well!

VooDooC

You can also try something like WSUS Offline. You can download the required updates for your OS, including Office updates, etc. and then use the wsus offline application to install the updates on all your machines.

Download the updates once, then install for all machines. Just update the list of updates once a month and you're good to go.

sajunky

Honorary Master
It won't work, as Windows used to ignore this settings and chose to download from MS servers anyway.

WSUS I would try, but I gave up on win10, so it makes no sense.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
Thanks, @Dairyfarmer will have a look & see if works.
It is exactly what you want. Initially it will take some time to download all the updates but there after it just running the updater and getting the latest updates added.

It is the perfect tool if you are rebuilding computers or have a bunch you need to update.

IceQB

Expert Member
It is exactly what you want. Initially it will take some time to download all the updates but there after it just running the updater and getting the latest updates added.

It is the perfect tool if you are rebuilding computers or have a bunch you need to update.
From website says project has been abandoned.
I just downloaded latest ISO mounted & ran setup from share.

sajunky

Honorary Master
You literally said it won’t work and that you gave up on Windows 10 in the same post.

So which is it?

I’ve seen it work quite happily.
These are dirty tricks, you don't need do that?

In case you are innocent, lets add, these are two different things. The first one is in Windows setting which promise people to update PC's from other PC's. It doesn't work and I said that, but you later wrote otherwise, hence my correction. The other one is setting up WSUS server on your LAN as it is done by IT professionals, perhaps you should try.