Windows 10 program window sizes not kept?

howardb

Expert Member
Hi all,

I recently gave in and upgraded my Win 7 to Win 10 OS. The monitor is an LG 34" ultrawide, correct and latest drivers loaded, res/desktop at default of 2560x1080.

Win 10 seems to work well (except for the unfriendly menus and settings), however I have an issue with program window sizes not being retained, especially after I switch the monitor on - I've searched and tried all sorts of possible fixes, however nothing seems to work permanently.

Basically, I've re-sized all the windows to the size I want them to be, when I've finished working, I turn the monitor off. When I switch the monitor back on, some programs (yes, only some) seem to reset back to a smaller default size - screenshot of what it looks like is below for reference - the top window has defaulted back, but the background program has retained the size I chose. I also see that when the monitor is turned on, all the program windows "move" about 5mm in from the left of the desktop... happens on all program windows every time the monitor is turned on.

I've tried:
- resizing, clicking the red X, opening again - done a few times and some programs keep the sizing, others default back again.
- resizing, keeping programs open, restarting the PC - same as above, some seem fine, others default back.
- checked and unchecked all the possible snapping options for the windows.
- disabling the tablet mode
- maximising, resetting and re-sizing - no effect, default back again
- tried using a couple of window sizing programs, but they either don't work, or I can't figure them out to do what I want to do.
Seemingly, nothing I do will allow these windows to remain the size I have set...

Any other suggestions or alternatively freeware/open source programs I could try would be appreciated.

screen_size1.JPG

biometrics

Honorary Master
Hi all,

I recently gave in and upgraded my Win 7 to Win 10 OS. The monitor is an LG 34" ultrawide, correct and latest drivers loaded, res/desktop at default of 2560x1080.

Win 10 seems to work well (except for the unfriendly menus and settings), however I have an issue with program window sizes not being retained, especially after I switch the monitor on - I've searched and tried all sorts of possible fixes, however nothing seems to work permanently.

Basically, I've re-sized all the windows to the size I want them to be, when I've finished working, I turn the monitor off. When I switch the monitor back on, some programs (yes, only some) seem to reset back to a smaller default size - screenshot of what it looks like is below for reference - the top window has defaulted back, but the background program has retained the size I chose. I also see that when the monitor is turned on, all the program windows "move" about 5mm in from the left of the desktop... happens on all program windows every time the monitor is turned on.

I've tried:
- resizing, clicking the red X, opening again - done a few times and some programs keep the sizing, others default back again.
- resizing, keeping programs open, restarting the PC - same as above, some seem fine, others default back.
- checked and unchecked all the possible snapping options for the windows.
- disabling the tablet mode
- maximising, resetting and re-sizing - no effect, default back again
- tried using a couple of window sizing programs, but they either don't work, or I can't figure them out to do what I want to do.
Seemingly, nothing I do will allow these windows to remain the size I have set...

Any other suggestions or alternatively freeware/open source programs I could try would be appreciated.

View attachment 711545
Thought it was only me. Even Outlook does it. Seems to happen when I lock me desktop and turn off the display. When I turn off the display I hear that hardware removed sounds (using display port). I assume that some lower res internal display then kicks in and windows are resized to fit a smaller desktop.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
When you say upgraded do you mean direct W7 to W10 or clean install of W10?

howardb

Expert Member
Thought it was only me. Even Outlook does it. Seems to happen when I lock me desktop and turn off the display. When I turn off the display I hear that hardware removed sounds (using display port). I assume that some lower res internal display then kicks in and windows are resized to fit a smaller desktop.
Exactly this, also using display port.

howardb

Expert Member
When you say upgraded do you mean direct W7 to W10 or clean install of W10?
Upgraded W7 to W10, not a clean install.

Seems the more I read about the issue the more people are complaining and there's no real solution. Will have to keep looking for a fix as it's damn frustrating...

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Upgraded W7 to W10, not a clean install.

Seems the more I read about the issue the more people are complaining and there's no real solution. Will have to keep looking for a fix as it's damn frustrating...
People who upgrade like in your case are always asking for trouble.

Clean install then you wont have the issue.

You can always use a VM to test.

Arthur

Honorary Master
1. Size and position window as required.
2. Press Ctrl while clicking the red "program close/quit" button at top-right.
3. Voila!

Your choice and setting should survive reboots - provided the app developer conformed to Msft programming guidelines/stds.

RedViking

Nord of the South
I have a problem where all my explorer windows keep resizing to a very tiny size whenever I open them. I will resize them again close them, and then later they will just shrink again. Haven't bothered to find a solution yet.

RedViking

Nord of the South
3. Voila!

Your choice and setting should survive reboots - provided the app developer conformed to Msft programming guidelines/stds.
What does 'ctrl' do?

RedViking

Nord of the South
Many different things, depending on context.

In this case it "controls" the setting so it's remembered when the application is next invoked.
Yes of course. Why would I refer to a different context?

So when you press Ctrl and on any exit button it is supposed to remember the window size? What other settings? Is this a global command or does it depend on the whether is it implemented for the application?

Arthur

Honorary Master
Ctrl + quit/exit/close is a standard Windows function to fix app window position. Has been for nearly thirty years.

If you use a PC more than an hour a week you should really take the trouble to learn keyboard shortcuts. It can dramatically improve your life.

rwenzori

Honorary Master
It is a pain in the arse. You need to edit the registry. Try this from MichaelAtOz:

Thor

Honorary Master
Yes of course. Why would I refer to a different context?

So when you press Ctrl and on any exit button it is supposed to remember the window size? What other settings? Is this a global command or does it depend on the whether is it implemented for the application?
Spot a non windows power user.

I think I first learned this on XP when I ran a TN panel and not a crt anymore.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Btw, Power Toys for Win 10 was released a few days ago, on Github.

howardb

Expert Member
People who upgrade like in your case are always asking for trouble.
Clean install then you wont have the issue.
You can always use a VM to test.
I agree and would normally do this, but in this particular case there were a number of things I didn't want to have to reinstall - the strange thing is that everything else seems to work perfectly; it's just this window sizing issue.

I have a spare SSD and will try to load W10 from fresh over the weekend and test to see if it does the same.

3. Voila!
Thx, but also already tried this; used this trick for years - was the first thing I tried. Using CTRL and closing, the re-opening causes the program window to open in full screen - when you click on the Restore Down button next to the red X to get out of full screen, the window size defaults back to what seems like 1024x768 and location defaults to center of the screen. Again, only seems to happen on some programs, not all.

howardb

Expert Member
It is a pain in the arse. You need to edit the registry. Try this from MichaelAtOz:

Thanks!
This looks like it may help; recall using similar on another machine a while back - will change some settings tomorrow and see if it works ;)

rwenzori

Honorary Master
Thanks!
This looks like it may help; recall using similar on another machine a while back - will change some settings tomorrow and see if it works ;)

I found that you need to change EVERY relevant key set - search the registry for PrimSurfSize.cx to find them, and also set the Stride number.