Windows 10

rambo919

Executive Member
In that case, enjoy the coffee. :p
Nah, you just in the morning walk through the office and turn everything on before opening the doors and putting the kettle on etc..... the wait has never been a problem. There is no PC in the office running an SSD.

v3n0m0uS

Nah, you just in the morning walk through the office and turn everything on before opening the doors and putting the kettle on etc..... the wait has never been a problem. There is no PC in the office running an SSD.
Can't imagine my life without one ever again. That little circling circle while waiting to open a program, the infamous "Program not responding"? Not for me :)

rambo919

Executive Member
Can't imagine my life without one ever again. That little circling circle while waiting to open a program, the infamous "Program not responding"? Not for me :)
I could be more productive with a second screen..... neva gonna be approved

v3n0m0uS

I could be more productive with a second screen..... neva gonna be approved
Luckily, we were blessed with dual screens before SSD's, makes the support life so much easier. If there was space for a 3rd, I'd have sent a request..

rambo919

Executive Member
@v3n0m0uS

BTW

120GB is way too small for a windows install, they allways balloon and my current office one is sitting at 111GB..... 250GB is a better minimum SSD

rambo919

Executive Member
Luckily, we were blessed with dual screens before SSD's, makes the support life so much easier. If there was space for a 3rd, I'd have sent a request..
I don't even have a table large enough for a third

Bobbin

Executive Member
And what if people can't afford it? Or their PC's don't meet the other minimum requirements? You want someone to buy a whole new PC even though the old one still functions just because Win7 is EOL? Is that not a waste of money in many cases?

There are still many PC's running P4 CPU's and nothing is wrong with them.
When moving to Windows 10 I will typically recommend an SSD first if the rest of the hardware is fine.

A lot of people don't know this though, but the "free" Windows 10 upgrade that is often mentioned on tech blogs is also technically not free and is illegal to do - even if it activates. So one can be flagged in an audit and be held liable. I've done the research, read the EULA, read community discussions, got the email from a senior MS exec and also had discussions on MS discord community on this topic :)

So unfortunately what that means is not only do you have to fork out money for an SSD (Needed in majority of cases, particularly 5400k RPM 1TB laptops, plus HDD's are wear and tear), you also need a Windows 10 Pro license (If using Active Directory). So at this point you're looking at *thumbsuck* R4k + IT labor cost and support issues on old hardware. So you start wondering about getting a new PC anyway with a Win 10 OEM license.

There's no easy answer in all of this mess :(

If you can get away with running old hardware I am all for that 100%. But rule of thumb seems to be whatever hardware and infrastructure you buy in IT, budget as though you need to do it all over again in 5 years. I cringe at the thought, but I'm seeing the negative effects of poor IT maintenance too often to ignore it. :( Particularly with servers/storage, I suppose it's this reason that subscription costs of moving to cloud is becoming so attractive, people don't want to fork out 80k or more for their next production server even though it is time. But the cloud can be an expensive beast too.

Maybe donate old stuff to students and labs or something :/ I dunno.

Last edited:

rambo919

Executive Member
This is SA, the majority of small business and home PC's were running cracked w7's anyway. The age of w10 might change audit practices at some point who knows.

Cloud is generally a nono because of internet instability/uncertainty/cost of connection.

As an aside, I am currently having to troubleshoot a P4 with 512MB RAM and 80GB IDE HDD..... the thing randomly fails to boot and the XP bootlog is useless...... someones home PC. There are a LOT of these PC's still running but thankfully the number is declining, the thing is too slow to run any AV at this point but replacing it is beyond their budget.... of course it seems to me that the HDD is failing so they are probably gonna have to chuck it anyway at some point.

Bobbin

Executive Member
This is SA, the majority of small business and home PC's were running cracked w7's anyway. The age of w10 might change audit practices at some point who knows.

Cloud is generally a nono because of internet instability/uncertainty/cost of connection.

As an aside, I am currently having to troubleshoot a P4 with 512MB RAM and 80GB IDE HDD..... the thing randomly fails to boot and the XP bootlog is useless...... someones home PC. There are a LOT of these PC's still running but thankfully the number is declining, the thing is too slow to run any AV at this point but replacing it is beyond their budget.... of course it seems to me that the HDD is failing so they are probably gonna have to chuck it anyway at some point.
Yeah I think we tend to turn a blind eye for home use and very small businesses.

Unfortunately in my line of work though, as a certified Microsoft partner who also does a fair bit of small business IT support, I have to be strict in all cases. Could lose my license and/or job so to speak :) So I am sort of obligated to let go of customers who aren't willing or able to keep in line, which includes Win 10 licensing. That's tough for both parties :/ I'm also obligated not to take on too much risk with customer environments that are out of warranty/support, because they will point at us should anything major fail.

The core competency for the place I work at is cloud though (Azure and M365/Office365). So I'm also incentivized to steer companies in that direction. Bandwidth-wise we're getting there slowly but it is still a challenge.

Cloud also becomes somewhat attractive when considering the cost of server OS upgrade and user CAL's, plus backup/storage infrastructure, plus power/UPS/aircon etc... And moving to cloud could mean ubiquitous access, no requirement for local AD and user VPN's etc... But there isn't a one-size-fits-all.

I've often wondered how I would act as an IT Manager or company owner though - in terms of what technologies and strategies I would invite into the business with cost/productivity in mind, and which vendors I'd use. Fun thought :)

Last edited:

rambo919

Executive Member
I have noticed there is an outright wastage in big business where machines are simply chucked as soon as the warranty expires. If they all donated the stuff to a national charity which would then resell the perfectly hardware a lot more people could in turn save money and get their hardware from a reliable source.

Instead the best we have are companies like PartServe that resell at inflated prices compared to what you get on the informal second hand market. The common joe in my experience is either scared or does not understand second hand buying.