Windows 7 : Software

SUPERMAN89

Expert Member
Sup ppl was wondering what software is best suited to use on Windows 7.

- > Windows kept giving me a message when I installed AVG Free edition that avg was sending the operating system a wrong message

-> A good free Firewall?...PC TOOLS doesn't seem to work that all grand, doesn't start up, if it does it freezes the whole os.

So im in wonder as to what in the world to do in terms of software...:erm:

:rolleyes:oh but games and office works wow

quovadis

Expert Member
Use Avast for antivirus- its free for home
Windows Firewall in Win 7 is more than adequate

rudirautenbach

I use AVG (paid version) in W7 with no problems, cannot say for the free version. You certainly do not need PC Tools (or do you have a specific requirement for it?) as W7 is more than adequate to manage your filesystem.

I also use Daemon Tools V4.30.4.0027 with no problems in W7, if you need an ISO mounting tool.

DAP (Download Accellerator) also works well in W7.

Skype messenger also works without problems.

What else do you need these days?

Cheers rudi

Big Kriss

Avast for me and Win 7...Went from AVG subscription to Avast home and Im chuffed. No more AVG for me.

rambo919

Executive Member
Anyone know of a file manager that lets u turn auto arrange off? That little permanent feature irritates the living u-know-whats out of me. Ive tried a few already (e.g. XYplorer) but could not find such a option in any of em

SUPERMAN89

Expert Member
I use AVG (paid version) in W7 with no problems, cannot say for the free version. You certainly do not need PC Tools (or do you have a specific requirement for it?) as W7 is more than adequate to manage your filesystem.

I also use Daemon Tools V4.30.4.0027 with no problems in W7, if you need an ISO mounting tool.

DAP (Download Accellerator) also works well in W7.

Skype messenger also works without problems.

What else do you need these days?

Cheers rudi
Well I need a firewall to control what uses the internet connection of mine, cant let stuff update and use all my cap. So far iv found PC TOOLS to do that(Well not the updated version coz that just allows everything and kills my cap)

rudirautenbach

To be honest, although I have been using AVG (paid) for years now, I have never liked its firewall. I have always used the built-in firewall from the OS.

I myself prefer to limit program internet access from within the program itself. My culprits are usually the OS itself and Adobe (which loves these HUGE 100something Mb updates at a time) with MS Office a close third. I find it the best to disable updates when I'm low on bandwidth and then installing the updates as standalone installations (which I usually get from our IT department - they have to download these and deploy them through the work LAN).

Keep us posted on your experience with Windows 7 and PC Tools if you decide to use it. I remember PC Tools being the program of choice in the days of MS-DOS, it was a real little jewel! Must say I have not used it for years!

All the best, Rudi

anger786

i had big problem with installing win 7 on a laptop, it just went to a blue screen so now just went back to window vista

rudirautenbach

i had big problem with installing win 7 on a laptop, it just went to a blue screen so now just went back to window vista
Perhaps a botched installation from a faulty installation disc? We have tried by now several old and new lappies and desktops with W7 and (touchwood) every installation is perfect.

anger786

Perhaps a botched installation from a faulty installation disc? We have tried by now several old and new lappies and desktops with W7 and (touchwood) every installation is perfect.
i think it was a program that was the problem so could not check what it was because was not my laptop