Windows 8 freezing at logo screen

lucifir

Expert Member
Ok, just thought I would try and see if anyone here can help me with this.
I recently installed an update to VS2012 desktop edition(free) and it caused my system to freeze/stop at the blue logo screen.
I tried going into safe mode to restore to a point before the update, and while the restore seems to indicate it worked, the problem still persists.

It seems like the problem is related to some hardware that it is expecting, but is not finding. It does not tell me what that is, and I have not added any new hardware recently!!

I upgraded windows 7 to windows 8, so the install media does not want to boot into the setup to allow me to try and fix the install.

I have no idea how to fix this other than to refresh/reinstall.
Anyone else have an issue like this or know of how I can get pass this??

NomNom

Executive Member
Have you tired going into save mode and uninstalling all Visual Studio programs listed in Programs and features?

lucifir

Expert Member
Have you tired going into save mode and uninstalling all Visual Studio programs listed in Programs and features?
yes. It would not let me :(
says I need to be in normal mode to do it, but will try again, as all the restarting seems to have corrupted the drive as well.
Or possibly its the drive thats the problem all along!!
Spent the whole night running chkdsk, and while its comes out clear, it seems to take a long time on the win8 drive at the 29% mark.

Lycanthrope

Honorary Master
Had that problem with an older drive. Seemed the boot sector became corrupted. Formatting and reinstalling only helped temporarily. Turning off and turning it back on, boot sector would screw up again. Replaced the drive, problem sorted.

NomNom

Executive Member
yes. It would not let me :(
says I need to be in normal mode to do it, but will try again, as all the restarting seems to have corrupted the drive as well.
Or possibly its the drive thats the problem all along!!
Spent the whole night running chkdsk, and while its comes out clear, it seems to take a long time on the win8 drive at the 29% mark.
Option 1:
Try this: http://www.raymond.cc/blog/uninstall-programs-packaged-with-windows-installer-in-safe-mode/

Option 2:
Go into safe mode and open msconfig and select Diagnostic Startup, Apply and Ok, then restart and see if Windows loads.

Option 3:
Otherwise the only other thing I can think of is to try a program called Revo Uninstaller: http://www.revouninstaller.com/download-freeware-version.php

Then go into save mode and install it and see if you can use it to uninstall the Visual Studio.

This is a untested theory and can cause more damage, only try this if you are absolutely desperate.

Last edited:

lucifir

Expert Member
Thanks for the suggestions NomNom.

Already tried option 1 and 2, with no luck.
May give option 3 a bash, or might have to reinstall, but since its an upgrade version, probably have to install win7 first and then win 8 .... thats gonna be a long day :(

NomNom

Executive Member
Thanks for the suggestions NomNom.

Already tried option 1 and 2, with no luck.
May give option 3 a bash, or might have to reinstall, but since its an upgrade version, probably have to install win7 first and then win 8 .... thats gonna be a long day :(
Eish that sucks, I was able to install my Windows 8 upgrade as a fresh install, it picked up that it was a fresh install and then I did something to it to make it work anyway, sorry I can't remember what I did, but that goes to show that it's possible.

lucifir

Expert Member
just managed to make a bootable usb and trying that, seems that there is also a prob with my DVD player/writer as it does not allow for running bootable disks ... very strange, as it starts up fine, but then just stalls ...
anyways .... trying the automatic repair option now ... holding thumbs this works :)

lucifir

Expert Member
the automatic repair did not work, so I tried the refresh, which basically reinstalls windows while keeping some settings and windows 8 specific apps. That did the trick, but now I am stuck trying to reinstall all my apps :(
Still very strange that the restore points did not work. Wonder what they put in that VS2012 update that affected windows so badly!! That will teach me to trust MS and there updates :)