Windows 8 versions and South African pricing explained

gconey

There's an easier way to determine which version to buy: None.

RaptorSA

Executive Member
WTF is this? So from now on if you want to do a system re-installation the cheapest and easiest way is to install Win7 first then upgrade? Not cool man, not cool at all.

Was really looking forward to the launch but starting to get a bit annoyed now with all this RT/Pro and Upgrade/OEM confusion going around.
I think I'll stick to the RTM Version on my Desktop for now and just hope that there's a decent way to activate/crack it in future. I don't pay for "upgrades", screw that.

Last edited:

RaptorSA

Executive Member
I can understand why they'd try to make it easy for existing Windows users to upgrade, but they need to include both options in the installation. I mean WTF?!?! Any Power users will tell you that when you upgrade you're now going to have Windows 7's big ass installation on your HDD, including the Win8 files and a ton of Patch Cache folders and godknows what else.

This at a time when SSD's are starting to penetrate the market and OS size actually becomes an issue again for a lot of users.
Maybe my issues are a bit premature, I'd like to see the space requirements after an actual Win7 upgrade.

Zyraz

Expert Member
The big problem with is that the majority of non-work related laptops and desktops will be running Win7 Home premium.
This means the majority of purchases for home users will be +- R1000 on the Retail version. (although not that big a pricetag , still pricey for the average Joe)
Businesses are probably going to be the majority ones going for the digital upgrades anyway since all computers running Win7 logging onto a domain will run Pro or Ultimate .
"Setup download" Stored on a server for multiple installs or deployment via scripts

Last edited:

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master
WTF is this? So from now on if you want to do a system re-installation the cheapest and easiest way is to install Win7 first then upgrade? Not cool man, not cool at all.

Was really looking forward to the launch but starting to get a bit annoyed now with all this RT/Pro and Upgrade/OEM confusion going around.
I think I'll stick to the RTM Version on my Desktop for now and just hope that there's a decent way to activate/crack it in future. I don't pay for "upgrades", screw that.

Let the pirating begin :p

This brings an interesting question. How will the new Windows Marketplace Apps work on pirated Windows? Also how long does The pre release versions (Developer and customer previews) have before they time out.

And we don't even comment on the fact that dam Windows 8 maps know where I stay on a PC with only Wi-Fi and no 3G/GPS, or the fact that you have to use a Windows Live Account to logon(Because of the market)

bigboy529

Expert Member
Ok I'm a bit confused here, firstly if I update from my windows 7 ultimate now I'll be fine, but what if I want to format my HDD in 6 months or so, or what if I upgrade my motherboard? What's that thing of a licence code lives and dies with a pc?

Gambit

Expert Member
So for the people with Macs that want to run windows 8 using bootcamp or a virtual machine, the only option is to buy the full version of windows 7 AND the windows 8 upgrade if you want to be legit or will the OEM/DSP version be easily obtainable, I thought these licences were only for new pc purchases?

Also if you buy a new motherboard you need to buy an OEM/DSP windows licence with it?

Last edited:

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
Ok I'm a bit confused here, firstly if I update from my windows 7 ultimate now I'll be fine, but what if I want to format my HDD in 6 months or so, or what if I upgrade my motherboard? What's that thing of a licence code lives and dies with a pc?

If your Win 7 is OEM,yes the license died with the board,if it's retail,you can install the 7 Ultimate then upgrade to 8 on a new rig

bigboy529

Expert Member
My win 7 is retail but the shlep of first having to install win 7 and then update to 8 is just stupid. Why can't they just allow you to build a disc for a fresh install, it's after all about the licence.
To update to the latest windows software is finally afordable and I want to keep my nose clean and keep it original but if Microsoft makes this entire thing too complicated, the average joe will find it easyer to just download a pirate ISO file for a easy full install.

RaptorSA

Executive Member
Jees, the Microsoft site says you need 20GB's worth of space.
My C:\Windows (no user folders etc.) is already sitting at 38GB on my machine. So if I were to install the upgrade on my existing Win7 we're looking at +-58GB just for the OS? Ouch.

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master
Woot, I have no issues to upgrade for Freeeeeeee. Legally.

MSDN FTW....

RaptorSA

Executive Member
I likeee WIN7 so, i will need a whole bunch of reasons to change....

A faster version of Windows 7 with improved network performance, major task manager improvements, Windows Explorer enhancements etc. ?
That's essentially what Win8 is when you ignore the Metro part of it. Not saying it's enough reason to upgrade, but still, it's not a bad upgrade given the fact that Win7 already kicks ass.

Last edited:

XperiAnce

Let's just pretend I'm talking about 'my friend' here.

He feels bad for pirating past versions of Windows and wants to purchase Windows 8. He currently has Windows 7 Ultimate using the Windows7-Loader / OEM fix in order to have his copy considered valid and licensed. Would be be able to purchase an Upgrade and get Windows 8? Or does he have to purchase a full license and probably go 'meh' and continue using Win7?

Kull Warrior

just bought Win 8 Pro from microsoft site = R380.30 at current exchange levels..
downloading now to pc..
i thought i would get an option for an .ISO file download so i can install on multiple PCs..

EDIT: the ISO option appeared after the download was done.

Last edited:

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
I am surprised that people complain about price and medium of Windows 8. Wait until you install it and really see how crap it actually is ;-)

grim

Expert Member
Jees, the Microsoft site says you need 20GB's worth of space.
My C:\Windows (no user folders etc.) is already sitting at 38GB on my machine. So if I were to install the upgrade on my existing Win7 we're looking at +-58GB just for the OS? Ouch.

No it cleans out the Win 7 installation. Also if your Win7 folder is 38GB you probably still have the WinSXS for unistalling SP1, you can clean it out by running "dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded" in an administrator command prompt

My Win 8 Enterprise folder is 16.5GB

grim

Expert Member
just bought Win 8 Pro from microsoft site = R380.30 at current exchange levels..
downloading now to pc..
i thought i would get an option for an .ISO file download so i can install on multiple PCs..

You bought the upgrade for one PC only