Windows shuts down but case stays on issue...

Serene

Expert Member
Morning peeps,

As the title states when I got home yesterday afternoon I saw that my PC was powered on.

Not thinking much I pressed the power button...Windows shuts down,screen goes off,LED off power button goes off...but the whole case is still powered....only way to turn off is to either switch off at back of PSU or at wall socket.

And the moment you switch it on the case powers on...can't switch it on with power button.

Was working fine this weekend..and it is new PSU.

Last edited:

RedViking

Nord of the South
A little bit confused here to what exactly is on or off.... But maybe your are just sleeping/hibernate.

What happens when you select 'shut down'

gamer16

Executive Member
There is a option in the bios that does this, soft off or soft standby something or another, go rummage around the the bios power settings and look at the tool tips, you'll find it.

Serene

Expert Member
A little bit confused here to what exactly is on or off.... But maybe your are just sleeping/hibernate.

What happens when you select 'shut down'
Windows shuts down...screen goes off...Power LED button goes off but CPU fan still spins,casr fans still spin,PSU still powered..

Serene

Expert Member
There is a option in the bios that does this, soft off or soft standby something or another, go rummage around the the bios power settings and look at the tool tips, you'll find it.
Weird thing is Sunday afternoon I switched it off it switch off normally...didn't fiddle with the bios...but yesterday when I got home my PC was on and when trying to switch off I saw that case fans and CPU fan stays on after shut down.

gamer16

Executive Member
Weird thing is Sunday afternoon I switched it off it switch off normally...didn't fiddle with the bios...but yesterday when I got home my PC was on and when trying to switch off I saw that case fans and CPU fan stays on after shut down.
Alright yeah just have a look in the bios, think there is a power state thing as well S3 & S5 or something I just know you can enable the exact thing you are describing there so just need to go turn it off.

Serene

Expert Member
Alright yeah just have a look in the bios, think there is a power state thing as well S3 & S5 or something I just know you can enable the exact thing you are describing there so just need to go turn it off.
But why does the PC do this even though I didn't touch anything in the bios?

And also why does it switch on when I switch on the case at the wall socket or the back of the GPU?

gamer16

Executive Member

And also why does it switch on when I switch on the case at the wall socket or the back of the GPU?
Might have reset to optimized defaults for some reason, irrelevant that.

ambroseg1

Executive Member

Another setting in the bios. "Power on after AC loss" or something like that.

Conack

Expert Member
I had the exact same issue recently.

Reset bios to defaults / Load previous saved config fixed it.

Felt like the old days of Windows 95 where after shutting down you got the "It is now safe to turn off your computer", and only then did you switch the pc off with the power button :)

Serene

Expert Member
But for the life of me I still can not understand how my bios could change the setting while PC was off IF it is the Power on after AC loss..

Got the mobo,ram,psu and cpu friday installed saturday without any issues and now this...

RedViking

Nord of the South
But for the life of me I still can not understand how my bios could change the setting while PC was off IF it is the Power on after AC loss..

Got the mobo,ram,psu and cpu friday installed saturday without any issues and now this...
I would maybe just check all connections again.

wobbie

Check your modem settings, internal & outboard.
A couple of years ago, my PC used to start by itself,
Wake Up on Modem, or something like that, caused the problem
Sorry, it was some time ago, & gthats all I can remember about it.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Check your modem settings, internal & outboard.
A couple of years ago, my PC used to start by itself,
Wake Up on Modem, or something like that, caused the problem
Sorry, it was some time ago, & gthats all I can remember about it.
I don't think that is the case here.

netstrider

My BIOS also did something to itself on the laptop. Would switch on and boot straight into the BIOS. After fiddling I managed to get it sorted. Not sure if Windows pushes updates to the BIOS by any chance.

Serene

Expert Member
My BIOS also did something to itself on the laptop. Would switch on and boot straight into the BIOS. After fiddling I managed to get it sorted. Not sure if Windows pushes updates to the BIOS by any chance.

That is what I was thinking but I'm dumbstruck as to why it would just switch on by itself and cannot get case switched off withou switching off PSU or switching off wall socket.