Windows XP is well and truly dead

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Windows XP is well and truly dead

Windows Embedded POSReady 2009, the last supported operating system based on Windows XP, stopped being supported as of Monday.

TechRepublic reports that although Windows XP stopped being supported five years ago, the use of POSReady 2009 allowed users to receive security updates through the use of a registry hack.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
What's with all the WindowsX is dead posts today? :rolleyes: It's almost like you are following some kind of script?

geezer

Expert Member
win XP? with its frequent crashing?
at least say win 7, that could at least do everything, XP is simply too ancient to be useful anymore.
We have an online analyser that's PC based and running on Windows XP. Runing 24/7 365.25. Never ever crashed in more than 10 years, never had a need to be rebooted. Only breakdown we had in all these years was the failure of the CPU cooling fan. Still running without any problems since it was replaced.

gamer16

Executive Member
win XP? with its frequent crashing?
at least say win 7, that could at least do everything, XP is simply too ancient to be useful anymore.
Always ran flawlessly for me, even when keeping the same installation and switching hardware constantly over a long period of time, never let me down as win7 did.

We don't even speak of how bad Win8 and 10 are.

BTTB

While security updates for Windows XP Embedded stopped as of April 2019, it is not dead at all for some people.
See here and here on recent forum posts, the MyPal browser kept current for XP plus Kaspersky Free works on XP.

I dual boot XP and 7 and find XP uses less resources and works flawlessly, running old programs I still use.
My XP install is coming a long way > 04 November 2005, 03:25:42.
I'm on my 2nd identical motherboard and 3rd Power Supply if you were wondering how I kept it going so long.
I posted this reply using XP with the Mypal browser.

OutsiderZA

We have an online analyser that's PC based and running on Windows XP. Runing 24/7 365.25. Never ever crashed in more than 10 years, never had a need to be rebooted. Only breakdown we had in all these years was the failure of the CPU cooling fan. Still running without any problems since it was replaced.
We have a Windows XP PC we're using as a print server for an old ERP system. Been running for about 12 years and I don't remember ever having an issue with it. Will be decommissioning it in the next month or two