Wine recommendations

icyrus

Executive Member
Please post your wine recommendations for others to try.

To get the ball rolling from my extremely limited experience:

Red:
Meerlust Rubicon
Rupert & Rothschild Classique

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
All time favourite red - Gevrey Chambertin

ConsiderThis

I LOVE any Zonnebloem wine... and if you're a red wine lover - their Merlot and Pinotage is very good, especially 1998...

Nod

Executive Member
Kanonkop Cab
Peter Falke Cab and Blanc de Noir
Allesverloren Port
Slankhoek Cab
Le Bonheur Cab

Note: I like Cab. The estates above also produce other fine wines.

stoke

Honorary Master
The best ROSE i've ever tasted:

From HermanusPietersFontein (In Hermanus) : Bloos (http://www.hpf1855.co.za/)
It's absolutely brilliant, light and fruity while at the same time not being sweet and is just dry enough to get you to take another sip. With a verrry rewarding aftertaste, and when it meets your tastebuds, they smile.

Still trying to make up my mind on the other wines bought there ...

Veroland

Executive Member
I am big fan of Beyerskloof Poinotage and the Fairview rage of red wines

DDV TECH

Expert Member
I second the Rubicon, but too expensive in my opinion.
My weapon of choice is the 2006 Beyerskloof Pinotage and the 2004 Alto Rouge.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
The best ROSE i've ever tasted:

From HermanusPietersFontein (In Hermanus) : Bloos (http://www.hpf1855.co.za/)
It's absolutely brilliant, light and fruity while at the same time not being sweet and is just dry enough to get you to take another sip. With a verrry rewarding aftertaste, and when it meets your tastebuds, they smile.
I always though rose was for people who couldn't make up their minds about what real wine to choose.
Still trying to make up my mind on the other wines bought there ...
Ah . . .ok. :p

Tassidar

Expert Member
I second the Rubicon, but too expensive in my opinion.
My weapon of choice is the 2006 Beyerskloof Pinotage and the 2004 Alto Rouge.
Good choices in the medium range.

If you want to chose a wine for a girl, I strongly recommend the Chardonnay Pinot Noir from Haute Cabriere. For some reasons girls go moggy for this wine. Get you in the good books quickly :D

DDV TECH

Expert Member
Rose? pff, my wife likes it, I cant stand the stuff....but at the end of the day, its up to everyone to drink what he/she enjoys, there is no right and wrong.

Tassidar

Expert Member
Favourite Cab: Le Riche Cab Sav Reserve.
Favourite SB: Springfield Life from Stone (also Steenberg; Klein Constantia and Cape Point)
Favourite Pinotage: DeWaal Estate / Le A'venir / Diemersdal

gifs

Expert Member
I am big fan of Beyerskloof Poinotage and the Fairview rage of red wines
Yes, especially the Reserve Pinotage. The Reserve Synergy blend is also nice.

I once tasted a Fairview Blend, Caldera and it was awesome, any ideas where I can get another bottle?

I recently tasted an excellent cab, its the Mischa Estate Cab, cost about R90. Have only seen it at one shop and went back for the rest of the stock (only 3 bottles left).

I haven't tasted the Kanonkop Cab yet, but I have a 2003 in the cellar (wineboxes laid flat in the kitchen cupboard) which I want to keep for a couple of years.

Another excellent wine is the Beyerskloof Field Blend, Makro currently has them on special for R149 per bottle.

A good value wine to me is also the Alto Rouge which costs in the region of about R50 (have seen it recently on special for about R40)

I once discovered a 1991 Kanonkop Paul Sauer in my grandma's cupboard and she said I could have it. I drank it a while back and it was by far the best wine I have ever tasted. I think it is truly worth buying some good wine and keeping it for 10 years or so.

BTW, next week is Winex at the Sandton Convention Centre.

DDV TECH

Expert Member
Good choices in the medium range.

If you want to chose a wine for a girl, I strongly recommend the Chardonnay Pinot Noir from Haute Cabriere. For some reasons girls go moggy for this wine. Get you in the good books quickly :D
I'm not a expert, so the top quality(and price) wines are usually lost on me, I'm sure there are many I would like, but I tend to stick to what I know and enjoy. My wife likes white also, and we often have some Nederburg lyric 2005/2006 with seafood or chicken dishes, cheap and not half bad for a white.

Nod

Executive Member
I haven't tasted the Kanonkop Cab yet, but I have a 2003 in the cellar (wineboxes laid flat in the kitchen cupboard) which I want to keep for a couple of years.
I had a '77. Damn it was nice. Cork started to leak, so I decided to have a go at it. I've been hooked on Kanonkop since then.

BTW, next week is Winex at the Sandton Convention Centre.
Jip. Go and try the Peter Falke wines if you go.

Tassidar

Expert Member
I'm not a expert, so the top quality(and price) wines are usually lost on me, I'm sure there are many I would like, but I tend to stick to what I know and enjoy. My wife likes white also, and we often have some Nederburg lyric 2005/2006 with seafood or chicken dishes, cheap and not half bad for a white.
When you have a chance, perhaps over December, go and do some wine routes. That way you get to:
(1) Get trashed
(2) In a nice surrounding
(3) Get to ask pseudo-intellegent questions which will give you a much greater appreciation of wine.
(4) Expand your range of wines, and find more wines that you like.

gifs

Expert Member
I had a '77. Damn it was nice. Cork started to leak, so I decided to have a go at it. I've been hooked on Kanonkop since then.

Jip. Go and try the Peter Falke wines if you go.
I will probably go twice next week :D

Will definately try Peter Falke early in the evening, later on everything starts to taste good! :D

DDV TECH

Expert Member
When you have a chance, perhaps over December, go and do some wine routes. That way you get to:
(1) Get trashed
(2) In a nice surrounding
(3) Get to ask pseudo-intellegent questions which will give you a much greater appreciation of wine.
(4) Expand your range of wines, and find more wines that you like.
Have done many of the wine routes, I like delheim (sp?) the most, very nice cellar/tasting room and informed staff, I have a nice collection, but sadly I'm not very adventurous when it comes to wine, so I tend to fall back to the known (to me) ones more often.

Nod

Executive Member
I will probably go twice next week :D

Will definately try Peter Falke early in the evening, later on everything starts to taste good! :D
Twice is good. Remember to start tasting from the other side of the hall, just to prevent your second point from happening (again) ;) :D