Wireless Access Point device advice

hyperian

Expert Member
Like a fool I managed to pull off my D-Link 2640u wireless ADSL router's antenna (I thought it might have an RP connector). Needless to say, the router no longer transmits a wireless signal with any strength to speak of.

Instead of buying a new wireless router I thought of getting a wireless access point so that I can restore wireless connectivity at home, and get a better signal distribution (where the router is isn't where most of the wireless devices are - so there's mostly a weak signal).

Will this work? As far as I understand, all that I would need to do is connect the router to the access point using a LAN cable. Can anyone recommend any decently priced (+- R 400.00) wireless access points?

Thanks!

Last edited:

DanH

Expert Member
Will work perfectly yes.

I'm also undecided on which AP to get though.

hyperian

Expert Member
Awesome, thanks for all of the responses. I'm eyeing out the TP-LINK WR841ND - on special for R 299 at www.dbg.co.za

Anyone order from them before?

zubeb

Not sure, best bet is to go to their premises in Bedforview (or somewhere there) and chat to the sales guy. They will give you the options.

hyperian

Expert Member
I ended up buying the TP-Link WR841ND, but haven't been able to configure it correctly. I connected it to my ADSL router using the WR841ND's WAN port, and connected my machine to the WR841ND and ran through the setup. But I can't for the life of me manage to connect to the Internet from my PC, or via the wireless network. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Pada

Executive Member
Hey,

If your D-Link and TP-Link subnets are the same (eg. both being 192.168.1.x, and not like 10.0.0x + 192.168.1.x combo), then that would be your problem. You either have to bridge it, or you'll have to setup static routes and ensure that the 2 routers have different subnets.

Are you trying to dial a PPPoE connection from your PC via the TP-Link AP, or are you dialing it from the D-Link?

hyperian

Expert Member
I ended up buying the TP-Link WR841ND, but haven't been able to configure it correctly. I connected it to my ADSL router using the WR841ND's WAN port, and connected my machine to the WR841ND and ran through the setup. But I can't for the life of me manage to connect to the Internet from my PC, or via the wireless network. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Managed to fix it. The WR841ND's default IP address is 192.168.1.1, which is the same as my router, causing an IP address conflict. I changed the WR841ND's IP address to 192.168.2.1, which seemed to do the trick.

Pada

Executive Member
Well done in solving it yourself - like I suspected that the issue was related to the subnet :)