• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

Wordpress for my dad

Solarion

Honorary Master
Hi guys, I'm wanting to help my dad put a small site together for his business. Something he can use afterward for customizing and just something straight forward.

I came across Wordpress among others. Anyone here use it? What are your thoughts on it?

Thor

Honorary Master
What are the requirements?
I am keen to take on some smaller projects (PHP)

Last edited:

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Lots of people use WordPress. Wix makes me cringe, so much extra CSS/JS junk loaded. Wordpress gets a bad rep from bad themes, Wix is like a better really bad theme imho.

Are you going to edit/change things yourself? Like adding custom CSS or something like that? I would suggest wordpress instead of wix.

Do you have a budget and would like to get someone else to make a professional one/deal with the hosting as well or is this for you to learn some web development on the side as well?

Solarion

Honorary Master
What are the requirements?
I am keen to take on some smaller projects (PHP)
We've tried 4 web developers (at least they said they were) who couldn't come right so now I'm going to do it myself. It's a long story I might go into it but no now.

Thanks though Thor

Lots of people use WordPress. Wix makes me cringe, so much extra CSS/JS junk loaded. Wordpress gets a bad rep from bad themes, Wix is like a better really bad theme imho.

Are you going to edit/change things yourself? Like adding custom CSS or something like that? I would suggest wordpress instead of wix.

Do you have a budget and would like to get someone else to make a professional one/deal with the hosting as well or is this for you to learn some web development on the side as well?
I think at some point I'm going to need to customize the CSS. I will be changing and editing things myself yes. I have a guy who's going to handle the SEO for me already, he's one of the best. At the end of the day it's to make a Mobile Friendly site with SEO.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I did web development overseas for 5 years so I have a bit of experience.

I think at some point I'm going to need to customize the CSS. I will be changing and editing things myself yes. I have a guy who's going to handle the SEO for me already, he's one of the best. At the end of the day it's to make a Mobile Friendly site with SEO.
If you're based in CT, both Thor and I do web development/work for companies that do.
If you want to properly do SEO, you can't go the Wix route, go the WP route instead.

Solarion

Honorary Master
If you're based in CT, both Thor and I do web development/work for companies that do.
If you want to properly do SEO, you can't go the Wix route, go the WP route instead.
Let me have a word with him ok. so Wordpress it is then. I'm not based in CT, bounce between JHB and Durban a lot. I'll get back to you.

500miles

Hi guys, I'm wanting to help my dad put a small site together for his business. Something he can use afterward for customizing and just something straight forward.

I came across Wordpress among others. Anyone here use it? What are your thoughts on it?
Have you ever checked Linode and Vultr? You will get 1 GB RAM, 20-25GB storage, and 1TB bandwidth from a start plan from them that costs $5/mon, which are more than sufficient for the installtion of a wordpress site for your papa. I would also recommend you to manage the server with VPSrobots, as described in this post: https://vpsrobots.com/documents/how-to-manage-vultr-vps-with-vpsrobots.html. The best thing about this combo is that it is economical yet trustworthy.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

jack_spratt

Dont want to hijack this thread, but what is the best option for accepting payment online via your business website?

Looking at a shopping cart solution with EFT and credit card payment options.

Thanks.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Dont want to hijack this thread, but what is the best option for accepting payment online via your business website?

Looking at a shopping cart solution with EFT and credit card payment options.

Thanks.
Probably PayFast. Other alternatives are e.g. PayGate but it depends on whether your general purchase is a high amount or how much goes through a month, etc.
You can also integrate things like Zapper or SnapScan which has a 3% fee with R250 once-off.

The best solution is according to your volume and number of transactions.

ronald911

Expert Member

If he just wants to write/blog use Ghost.