Worst Vehicle Drivers - Highways

During your travels, which vehicles displayed the absolute worst drivers on the national highways?

• BMW

Votes: 49 44.1%
  • Audi

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Mercedes

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Ford

Votes: 11 9.9%
  • Nissan

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Renault

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • VW

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • Range Rover

Votes: 13 11.7%
  • Other - Comment Please

Votes: 27 24.3%
  • Taxi

Votes: 42 37.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gyre

Expert Member
I find it's always a BMW driver swerving thru traffic like he is in a racing game, or a BMW driver doing 80 in the fast lane

Bigjay84

Any car with government plates , always in a hurry ,esp never knocking off time . Pity they do not perform their duties at the same speed

Jefferson D'Arcy

Some observations after 2 years of daily Ubering and a subsequent 2 years-ish of driving in JHB:
  • Creeping at junctions and red lights: I'd love to understand the psychology here, but there is this idiotic practice of creeping until they're well into the junction itself, blocking pedestrians and being a nuisance to cross-traffic. You'd have thought it was to gain advantage off the line but when traffic clears or the light goes green, they eventually saunter off very, very slowly. If it's an Uber Corolla or similar, they'll have set off in 2nd or 3rd on what's left of their clutch.
  • Lane discipline: has always been awful in SA but is noticeably worse. Even with 5 lanes available, only the 2 to the right are ever used. Every journey will have at least 3 or 4 incidents of someone dawdling in lane 3 at 65kph. No real pattern in car type or profile but generally drivers oblivious to the world and who shouldn't be trusted with the responsibility of driving a vehicle. UK police now charge and fine MLMs (middle lane morons), there is no real traffic policing here so it will never happen in SA.
  • Roundabouts: no commentary required.
  • Turn, turn, turn then signal: people don't understand what indicators are for even if they do use them. You're meant to indicate for lane changes, especially when verging off for a turning lane.
  • Last minute dives for offramps as a norm.
  • Vehicles on their last legs, pouring smoke, crabbing chassis merrily making their way along and causing carnage.
  • Texting, eating chicken, making selfies.
  • Red lights being ignored completely. Probably the worst crime and never policed.
Generally you get the impression people believe traffic should resemble Asian countries or the upper parts of Africa and the concept of courtesy doesn't really exist in local cultures.

Sepeng

Expert Member
Well obviously the answer is - everyone besides me.
I used to be way too impatient as a driver, I'm much better now, I hope. If I'm at an intersection in a lane with 5 cars in front, and the one next to me has 3, I now realise I'll live. Same with tolls.
Still room for improvement though - like on long distance trips I'll automatically calculate where I should be after an hour, two hours, and it still bugs me if I miss my "target". But I'm no longer trying to make up for lost time and we intentionally take pretty long stops to completely mess up all time predictions. Taking longer, even with kids, has made our journeys far more enjoyable.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Some observations after 2 years of daily Ubering and a subsequent 2 years-ish of driving in JHB:
  • Creeping at junctions and red lights: I'd love to understand the psychology here, but there is this idiotic practice of creeping until they're well into the junction itself, blocking pedestrians and being a nuisance to cross-traffic. You'd have thought it was to gain advantage off the line but when traffic clears or the light goes green, they eventually saunter off very, very slowly. If it's an Uber Corolla or similar, they'll have set off in 2nd or 3rd on what's left of their clutch.
  • Lane discipline: has always been awful in SA but is noticeably worse. Even with 5 lanes available, only the 2 to the right are ever used. Every journey will have at least 3 or 4 incidents of someone dawdling in lane 3 at 65kph. No real pattern in car type or profile but generally drivers oblivious to the world and who shouldn't be trusted with the responsibility of driving a vehicle. UK police now charge and fine MLMs (middle lane morons), there is no real traffic policing here so it will never happen in SA.
  • Roundabouts: no commentary required.
  • Turn, turn, turn then signal: people don't understand what indicators are for even if they do use them. You're meant to indicate for lane changes, especially when verging off for a turning lane.
  • Last minute dives for offramps as a norm.
  • Vehicles on their last legs, pouring smoke, crabbing chassis merrily making their way along and causing carnage.
  • Texting, eating chicken, making selfies.
  • Red lights being ignored completely. Probably the worst crime and never policed.
Generally you get the impression people believe traffic should resemble Asian countries or the upper parts of Africa and the concept of courtesy doesn't really exist in local cultures.

I actually miss the "good old days" when traffic cops would fine you per wheel over the stop-line. Traffic cops with such a hate for motorists that they would go out of their way to fine every single one of them. Now it seems like it's just too much effort, and they only go through the trouble when someone really pissed them off.

Crayons

Other: No one. Everyone was well behaved on the road yesterday except for one biker rushing to get home. I could see the rain in the distance and floored it home, my 45 litre coolerbox bouncing about with my Volcano pan strapped to the top. Funny enough all the cars ahead of me swerved into the yellow lane allowing me to cruise comfortably at 150km/h past them, thanx guys :thumbsup:

View attachment 1155172

It doesn't look like there's space for @46Female on that thing. Do you have one of those side carts for her?

Ghost64

Expert Member
Might also be the current influx of very fast automatic cars with turbos....

Aghori

Honorary Master
Interesting that VW is so high up there :unsure:
GTI drivers? :laugh::X3:
/runs

GTI drivers feel "I'm more impotent than you" so they have a mental attitude of "the rules can be bent" for them.

By far the worst drivers I've seen are in cheap SUV's.

duckgray

Land rovers. Damn things are far too wide for most suburban roads. Also most of the drivers of these fat cars tend to have the worst distance judgement so they’re always driving in two lanes.

HumanShield

It's more a specific type of driver that are the inconsiderate ones.
Polo drivers hogging the right lane oblivious to the fact that they've caused a massive tail-back.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
In all honesty, the worst drivers on the highways are those that religiously stick to 60 or 80km/h in the middle lane on a 120km/h highway when ALL the traffic around them is doing 100km/h+..

Aggressive and fast drivers are relatively easy to predict and cater for, but those slow ass drivers are considerably more of a bloody nuisance and can actually be extremely dangerous, and they're completely oblivious to the world around them which makes them even more dangerous in my opinion.

Jefferson D'Arcy

The spectre of the emerging economy new driver being a mobile chicane in their Polo is what you'd expect for a country like this. You can sort of see their predicament and almost sympathise. But not when their cackhandedness and lack of self preservation means death and destruction.

Not that the state will ever place training and road policing at any sort of priority. Vanity horseshit technology projects like license cards make bank, protecting the populace does not.