Xbox price cuts

Nod

Executive Member
From TheRegister:
Credit-crunch stricken gamers rejoice, because Microsoft has finally announced a long overdue European price cut for its Xbox 360 range.

The software giant has confirmed that as of 19 September - this coming Friday - the Xbox 360 Arcade model will sell for £130/€180, £20 less than it costs today.

Microsoft will also cut the price of the Premium model by £20, bringing the console to £170/€240. The flagship Elite model’s price will be reduced by - you guessed it - £20, meaning it'll set you back £230/€230 this weekend.

Neil Thompson, Senior Regional Director for Microsoft UK, said the cut was possible thanks to global sales of over 20m Xbox 360 consoles so far. “We are now able to pass on the rewards of that success to the consumer with a new retail pricing,” boasted Thompson.

PlayStation 3 fans are likely to be pretty peeved at news of the Xbox 360 price cut, because Sony said earlier this year that there’ll be no UK PS3 price cut this year.

Toxin

Expert Member
Does that mean the Elite will drop to R2500? Or even lower?

doobiwan

Executive Member
It's basically R200 across the board, if we see the cut at all. The way the Rands behaving I don't expect it.

That €240 for he Elite is a Typo.

Nod

Executive Member
It's basically R200 across the board, if we see the cut at all. The way the Rands behaving I don't expect it.

That €240 for he Elite is a Typo.
Ah, I see the point about the typo. Probably closer to €330?

Toxin

Expert Member
I was wondering about that Elite price. :) €330 sounds about right.

Hmmmm, so around R2400 for the Premium and R3300 for the Elite......

Other than HDMI (which even the Premium has now if I'm not mistaken) and a bigger HDD, is the Elite really worth R1000 more?

smokey

Honorary Master
I was wondering about that Elite price. :) €330 sounds about right.

Hmmmm, so around R2400 for the Premium and R3300 for the Elite......

Other than HDMI (which even the Premium has now if I'm not mistaken) and a bigger HDD, is the Elite really worth R1000 more?
no

doobiwan

Executive Member
No, and definitely not in South Africa.

The only difference is the extra 60Gb, an HDMI cable and HDMI optical audio adapter. The component cables really are good enough and do the same job just fine.

The Pro 60Gb is really plenty, unless you download tons of HD movies which we can't anyway.

Toxin

Expert Member
No, and definitely not in South Africa.

The only difference is the extra 60Gb, an HDMI cable and HDMI optical audio adapter. The component cables really are good enough and do the same job just fine.

The Pro 60Gb is really plenty, unless you download tons of HD movies which we can't anyway.
Does the Pro come with 60GB now? Wow, I have been out of the loop. :eek:

HDMI doesn't really bother me since I'll probably be playing on my PC's 22" LCD monitor.

Now to see if anyone has stock on those Xbox to DVI cable thingies....

doobiwan

Executive Member
Does the Pro come with 60GB now? Wow, I have been out of the loop. :eek:

HDMI doesn't really bother me since I'll probably be playing on my PC's 22" LCD monitor.

Now to see if anyone has stock on those Xbox to DVI cable thingies....
Yup, the new Pro's come with 60Gb @ R3k, you can still find the 20Gb's for around R2700.

DVI do you mean the Xbox 360 VGA cable?
http://www.take2.co.za/list.php?type=&qsearch=xbox+360+VGA