Xenon/LED headlight replacements?

gamer16

Honorary Master
It’s not just alignment. If you don’t change the projectors it’s nothing but a horrible spotlight.

And actually quote useless to the driver as well, but you know it mos looks cool.
I know, didn't feel like writing the guy a book.

It's best to go for a complete light unit change where everything was done and sealed properly and you diy swap the whole unit, like these for example, instead of just changing the bulb and bits.

rh1

So I have to replace my wifes bulbs. H4 halogen. As it is a 2006 car which we bought second hand and have it now for quite some time. I am thinking of upgrading the lights. I dont want cheap but I dont want something I have to replace annually. What would your recommendation be? I tried reading reviews, but this thread already discussed issues which the reviews does not mentioned. I have ordered from Amazon the following:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XBC15D6/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_xokbDb88BT11K
But now I am wondering if I just bought lights that would needs to be replaced in 12 months.

braniac

This is to be expected and they even state it themselves.

It’s like overclocking a light basically.
The "overclocking" may explain why my one premature light bulb failure was on a road trip, where the bulbs were on for an extended period of time. Best to carry spare bulbs on a road trip, cos I learnt that the non standard bulbs not stocked by the smaller shops.

thechamp

Honorary Master
So I have to replace my wifes bulbs. H4 halogen. As it is a 2006 car which we bought second hand and have it now for quite some time. I am thinking of upgrading the lights. I dont want cheap but I dont want something I have to replace annually. What would your recommendation be? I tried reading reviews, but this thread already discussed issues which the reviews does not mentioned. I have ordered from Amazon the following:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XBC15D6/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_xokbDb88BT11K
But now I am wondering if I just bought lights that would needs to be replaced in 12 months.
No they are fine, I have the Philips type and I don't even remember when I fitted them on the car.

The_MAC

Executive Member
The Osram product data sheet does give you the expected lifetime usage of their Night Breaker range of halogen bulbs, which indicate that the expected lifetime of these high-output Night Breaker bulbs is less than that of a standard halogen bulb as well.

View attachment 672887
Makes complete sense. But those lifetime graphs look the same, lol

Colin62

Executive Member
The "overclocking" may explain why my one premature light bulb failure was on a road trip, where the bulbs were on for an extended period of time. Best to carry spare bulbs on a road trip, cos I learnt that the non standard bulbs not stocked by the smaller shops.
When I upgrade to a high output bulb, I put the existing bulbs in the tyre well, and they’re there in case I need them.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
Just be careful when changing or adding light bulbs or lights if your car is still under warranty. Make sure you get authorisation, it in writing, from the dealer beforehand.

Düber

Just be careful when changing or adding light bulbs or lights if your car is still under warranty. Make sure you get authorisation, it in writing, from the dealer beforehand.
:) Like a few years back when the guys where getting those hefty 100/130w globes, fitting it to their cars designed for 60w only to have the plastic melt if they stood still for too long!
Never mind the wiring and fuse issues...

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
Never mind the wiring and fuse issues...
Mainly the canbus is the problem. The next time you take your car in for service, the canbus will report unauthorised replacements and/or errors. You could lose your warranty because you are interfering with the system. I asked about fitting a light bar to my suv. The dealer said that they can have it installed for me by one of their agents, but if anything goes wrong later with the wiring or anything electrical, I'm not covered under warranty, even though they had it done for me.

Acid0

Expert Member
Thanks will read up on all the suggestions.

If I do decide to change the light technology I would get it installed by a professional and not DIY.

I have the Osram lasers already in the car but due to my car's height (very low) I realize I wont have any gains really by replacing to any other technology

thechamp

Honorary Master
Thanks will read up on all the suggestions.

If I do decide to change the light technology I would get it installed by a professional and not DIY.

I have the Osram lasers already in the car but due to my car's height (very low) I realize I wont have any gains really by replacing to any other technology
It's the same thing really, installed by a DiYer or a professional, fancy aftermarket lights are generally a problem on the roads.