Xenon/LED headlight replacements?

Acid0

Expert Member
Hi there,

My vehicle has halogen bulbs and I am thinking of replacing it.

I know LED are a popular choice these days.

So the question is what after market shop can I use and would you go with LED or xenons for the conversion?

I see autostyle has some nice xenon conversion kits but not sure on the quality

in Gauteng area please for recommendations

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
You need to replace the entire housing and projector setup for Xenons and they are generally out of fashion these days for being too expensive and inefficient...and that's when it is even real xenon. Even then it's a kak idea without the built-in washers to keep the lenses clear.

Personally I would just import all of it and go LED....or just replace the halogen bulbs with better ones.

Please don't be that **** that blinds everyone else because of fitting lights incorrectly.

The_MAC

Executive Member
Just replace the halogen bulbs with better ones.
I bought brighter Phillips bulbs for my Corsa, visibility is improved and I don't get flashed - when I look at the beam height, it hasn't changed to the old bulbs, its just a different bulb.

namzsteve

Expert Member
I bought brighter Phillips bulbs for my Corsa, visibility is improved and I don't get flashed - when I look at the beam height, it hasn't changed to the old bulbs, its just a different bulb.
Which Philips did you opt for?

Ivan Leon

Expert Member
I currently also have Philips XtremeVision H4 halogen globes in my headlights - they definitely have a whiter, brighter & longer distance illumination when compared to regular halogen bulbs. I have also used Osram Night Breaker H4 headlight & H7 foglight globes on my previous car - they're pretty much on a par with the Philips globes as well.

braniac

My experience is that the Osram night breakers don't last as long as the Osram standard halogen bulbs. I needed to replace them annually. After second set just went with standard.

The_MAC

Executive Member
My experience is that the Osram night breakers don't last as long as the Osram standard halogen bulbs. I needed to replace them annually. After second set just went with standard.
Noticed the same with the Phillips. I used to drive with the main lights on in the day, I now only drive with the "parking" lights in the day to spare the bulbs. Used to replace annually, will see now how long they last.

Ivan Leon

Expert Member
The Osram product data sheet does give you the expected lifetime usage of their Night Breaker range of halogen bulbs, which indicate that the expected lifetime of these high-output Night Breaker bulbs is less than that of a standard halogen bulb as well.

Night_Breaker_Family_Overview.jpg

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
This is to be expected and they even state it themselves.

It’s like overclocking a light basically.