Your post RWC 2011 squad

thestaggy

Honorary Master
This is something new. There have been numerous ''choose your rugby World Cup squad'' threads and questions out there, but I'm going to try something else. The World Cup has just ended and now you must select your first end of year touring squad, sans the old warhorses. Obviously we can't take into account Currie Cup performances, but how you see players now and even on gut feel. Encouragement is on a young squad too.

Players not available are;
Victor Matfield - retirement
Bakkies Botha - heading overseas
Fourie du Preez - heading overseas
Danie Rossouw - heading overseas
John Smit - heading overseas, definite international retirement

1 - Beast Mtawarira
2 - Bismacrk du Plessis
3 - Werner Kruger
4 - Rocky Elstadt
5 - Andries Bekker
6 - Keegan Daniel
7 - Juan Smith(c)
8 - Duane Vermeulen
9 - Francois Hougaard
10 - Peter Grant
11 - Bjorn Basson
12 - Juan de Jongh
13 - Jaque Fourie
14 - Lwazi Mvovo
15 - Pat Lambie

16 - Chilliboy Ralepelle
17 - Coenie Oosthuizen
18 - Flip van der Merwe
19 - Willem Alberts
20 - Dewaldt Duvenhage
21 - Johann Sadie
22 - Gio Aplon

Reserves;
Hooker - Adriaan Strauss
Prop - Dean Greyling
Lock - Gerhard Mostert
Flank - Heinrich Brussow
Flank/No. 8 - Josh Strauss (This guy will be poached from the Lions soon)
Flyhalf - Morne Steyn (Just in case)
Wing/Fullback - Gerhard van den Heever
Wing - Lwazi Mvovo

Devill

Damned
This is something new. There have been numerous ''choose your rugby World Cup squad'' threads and questions out there, but I'm going to try something else. The World Cup has just ended and now you must select your first end of year touring squad, sans the old warhorses. Obviously we can't take into account Currie Cup performances, but how you see players now and even on gut feel. Encouragement is on a young squad too.

Players not available are;
Victor Matfield - retirement
Bakkies Botha - heading overseas
Fourie du Preez - heading overseas
Danie Rossouw - heading overseas
John Smit - heading overseas, definite international retirement

1 - Beast Mtawarira
2 - Bismacrk du Plessis
3 - Werner Kruger
4 - Rocky Elstadt
5 - Andries Bekker
6 - Keegan Daniel
7 - Juan Smith(c)
8 - Duane Vermeulen
9 - Francois Hougaard
10 - Peter Grant
11 - Bjorn Basson
12 - Juan de Jongh
13 - Jaque Fourie
14 - Lwazi Mvovo
15 - Pat Lambie

16 - Chilliboy Ralepelle
17 - Coenie Oosthuizen
18 - Flip van der Merwe
19 - Willem Alberts
20 - Dewaldt Duvenhage
21 - Johann Sadie
22 - Gio Aplon

Reserves;
Hooker - Adriaan Strauss
Prop - Dean Greyling
Lock - Gerhard Mostert
Flank - Heinrich Brussow
Flyhalf - Morne Steyn (Just in case)
Wing - Lwazi Mvovo
On:

"4 - Rynhardt Elstadt" me thinks :p:D

I agree that this should be, more or less, the team that takes to the Isles.

I like the look of it and if they all learn the ball handling skills of the Kiwis / Aussies then we should be a serious nr 1 world contender for the next 4-6 years :)

killadoob

Honorary Master
Really no point picking anything until our tri nations whipping is complete. Boy i hope someone throws that back in my face soon :D

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
Gurthro Steenkamp in front row
Second looks good

6 - Keegan Daniel
Who spoke about his Springbok snub recently? Can't remember but the points were valid. Hard worker

Is there space for Brussow? I should hope so except he is so injury prone it would seem.

I'd take Steyn at 10 any day.

15 - Pat Lambie
This kid is gonna be HUGE!

Reserves:
Prop - Dean Greyling
If we're gonna omit Gurthro, he should be on reserve for sure...

Ja - especially considering their money problems. But who will poach?

He hasn't really impressed of late, no matter how much I like him.

Devill

Damned
I don't agree. In the S15 he was really good. Had some strong runs and was solid under the highball. Also the fact that he played fullback for a whole game impressed me. He is still young and could be one of the greats if he is properly managed, imo.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Gurthro Steenkamp in front row
Second looks good

Who spoke about his Springbok snub recently? Can't remember but the points were valid. Hard worker

Is there space for Brussow? I should hope so except he is so injury prone it would seem.

I'd take Steyn at 10 any day.

This kid is gonna be HUGE!

If we're gonna omit Gurthro, he should be on reserve for sure...

Ja - especially considering their money problems. But who will poach?

For me this was purely rewarding those who are playing like' Boks. Brussow most definitely has the talent to wear the #6, but as he has been injured as well as not up to date on the new ruck laws, I have to go with Daniel right off the bat. Daniel is also the only other player worthy of captaincy material in my 15, so he gets that edge too.

These past two weeks have shown Steyn's limitations. He is just too ''old school'' to play with the Wallabies and All Blacks. He gives you no go-forward momentum, and playing within the Bulls' kick and chase, forward-dominated game will not see him change. Guys like Dan Carter, Aaron Cruden (Carter's likely replacement with the AB's), James O'Connor, Quade Cooper and Kurtley Beale are streets ahead of him and offer real go-forward ball every time they touch the ball. I may even consider shifting Lambie to 10 or even give the one Ebersohn twin a go there.

Bulls may be a home for Josh Strauss. Danie Rossouw is leaving and it is likely - and much to my horror - that the next Bok coach will have a fascination with Pierre Spies. Add that to the Bulls propensity for raiding the Lions talent pool and it all points to a nice opening for Josh. He can also play 7. Bulls are losing a lot of players so his talents and versatility in the back row could be useful to them. And I think he is better than Spies anyway.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
and post RWC are we still stuck with Muir and Div?
Well, I can safely say HELL NO!

Anybody else think P.Divvy is on Prozac? All smiles and saying that he is excited for the World Cup when the players look like they have had their hearts and souls ripped out.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Really no point picking anything until our tri nations whipping is complete. Boy i hope someone throws that back in my face soon :D
That is true. I definitely counted my chickens, but one positive, Jean Deysel has worked his way into my post RWC 30-man squad. Lambie may also shift from my #15 to #10 and Morne Steyn has shifted from the reserves to (forced) international retirement. The Bulls' props have also disappointed me. Struggling against the AB front row is understandable, but getting it from the Wallabies front row is a disgrace. Could John Smit be weakening the front row even at hooker?