Your Raspberry Pi Projects

Düber

Would a 12V 1A work? seems to indiciate 7v - 12v.
That should do the job, provided you are not going to draw too much current out of it( your water pulse project obviously won't).

I have read in some places that the regulator gets hot at the higher limit of the voltage but have not had a problem myself, but I don't like putting heavy current drawing devices onto a Arduino so that might be why.

stockton

My SO was bored so she made an alarm system. It has a touch screen to arm and disarm per sensor and globally. It communicates with a linux server on the internet and has her own made app on the phone to control it from wherever we are.

She started 2 days ago and that where she is now. She thinks its very funny to track my movements.

Whats cool about this alarm system is that we can use old legacy PIR's.
How did she connect the old legacy PIRs to the Raspberry?
I believe that they need 12v and the Pi can only supply 5V.

dunkyd

Expert Member
Knowing nothing about PI , is there anybody that could assist/make a receiver for me for Flightradar24. Obviously I'll buy all parts reguired.
I'm on their silver subscription on my phone but due to time I must spend at home would like to go one notch up.
Krugersdorp at Panorama Estate
Thanks
Duncan

Peon

Expert Member
How did she connect the old legacy PIRs to the Raspberry?
I believe that they need 12v and the Pi can only supply 5V.
You power the PIRs with an external psu. Then you use the 3v of the pi through the relay of the pir to one of the input pins

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Knowing nothing about PI , is there anybody that could assist/make a receiver for me for Flightradar24. Obviously I'll buy all parts reguired.
I'm on their silver subscription on my phone but due to time I must spend at home would like to go one notch up.
Krugersdorp at Panorama Estate
Thanks
Duncan
A few months ago I setup my Pi with Flightradar and Flightaware. All the info you need is here:

https://uk.flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/build

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Thanks. Looks easy enough except maybe the bit on my Mac ?
Should I buy the bits and pieces so long and is there a one stop shop or must I get as per that list....ebay, Amozan etc?
The antenna you can build, its easy enough. If you have Pi with a SD card you really only need to buy the usb ads receiver. I got mine on eBay for a few bucks (I'm in the UK so shipping was no issue)
You can also try Amazon

Mac shouldn't be a problem. You just need to write the img file. Once the pi is on the network you ssh to it to configure

ThatOtherDude

I'm currently using an old PC as a media centre, connected to my router via 100baseT & a then to my 42" LCD via HDMI.

We stream DSTV, Netflix, Popcorntime, Kodi, & the odd youtube movie..

With rolling blackouts becoming more frequent, I was thinking of moving to a Pi based media center.
Assuming that it draws MUCH less current than my PC = longer battery life for my battery bank + inverter.

Question: What kind of "media center" experience can I expect?
would it be similar to the Windows 10 PC running Netflix, Chrome, Kodi etc?

I was thinking of installing Rasbian.

Is it a good idea of am I wasting my time?

Düber

We stream DSTV, Netflix, Popcorntime, Kodi, & the odd youtube movie..
You can install OSMC wich is Kodi with a operating system in the background for all intensive purposes. That will give you Kodi and its addons and Youtube easily. Dstv and Netflix can be done but you need to do some work, I'm not using Popcorntime so can't help there, but have seen it as an addon on Kodi.

The way I do it is that the NAS is powered, the pi at the tv with all the network bits.
If somebody wants to watch Netflix or Dstv then they do that on their tablets or phones with the app's, aside from my dad where I have setup Dstv on his tv pi.
Works very well and easily survives 4.5 hours if it is during the day, at night I just start the gen and life carries on completely normally.

Edit- for a remote on the pi's I have used the Dstv explora ones, works very nicely and very easy to do. If you want the .conf file let me know.