Your Raspberry Pi Projects

Düber

First and foremost, storage server. I have been waiting for a pi with USB 3.0 for years.
Yes, me too, but what I wanted more (and that's why my server is an Orange Pi ATM) is for them not to share the network and USB ports, which the Pi4 does not. :)

Spiderman_RT

No active cooling? The Pi4 *needs* active cooling.

the case my in my sights, until I watched a review where it dies not fit properly, the top layer of perspex gets in the way of some components.

my wants included the coupe ninja case, the fanshim, and the large heatsink.

I have now changed my mind to the ice tower cooler. Not sure which case though.

Made this custom design case for my pi3 from a picture I saw on the internet, just need to reverse the Ethernet, and usb ports for pi4, should have enough space for active cooling

Attachments

Last edited:

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
Any of you guys running nas/plex server on the PI4?

Considering getting the 4gb version with an external hdd to run my media/download server. I need to know if it will be able to run codec without buffering.
Im doing that with my Pi2. I doubt Plex will work 100% due to the CPU (not enough CPU grunt for on the fly transcoding), but what will definitely work is if you share the media via SAMBA, and use Kodi/VLC/whatever to play it elsewhere. That way the transcoding happens on the client side, not server side (pi). Even my Pi2 can share 8GB media files without breaking a sweat.

Tinuva

The Magician
Im doing that with my Pi2. I doubt Plex will work 100% due to the CPU (not enough CPU grunt for on the fly transcoding), but what will definitely work is if you share the media via SAMBA, and use Kodi/VLC/whatever to play it elsewhere. That way the transcoding happens on the client side, not server side (pi). Even my Pi2 can share 8GB media files without breaking a sweat.
I am pretty certain on my setup, if the plex client device can play the file, no transcoding happens on the server. So its only an issue if client devices cant play the files.

Zuner

Expert Member
If you're just saying you wanna either buy a Pi, or an nVidia 1030, no other expenses and you don't care about how much space it takes up, then I'd say go for the GPU.
Correct, its either or. no other expenses, and don't care about space, electricity usage on the PI and ability to mess around would be a plus though. I have a pi zero w for that though.
However i'm getting real fed up when noticing frame drops on even 720p60 YT videos.
Upgrading my gaming pc soon and will use the old one as a media server with a 1030 for the 4k60.

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
I am pretty certain on my setup, if the plex client device can play the file, no transcoding happens on the server. So its only an issue if client devices cant play the files.
That is how I understand it as well.

K3NS31

Expert Member
I'll be installing Emby server on mine to link to Kodi on my Android TV (Skyworth). I used to use Emby on my mini ITX (very slow CPU) with Kodi on a Pi 3b and that worked very well.

Spiderman_RT

I'll be installing Emby server on mine to link to Kodi on my Android TV (Skyworth). I used to use Emby on my mini ITX (very slow CPU) with Kodi on a Pi 3b and that worked very well.
Got the same setup with mine. The nice thing is that emby also populates the thumbnails of the movies and shows even on my ps3 and kodi

K3NS31

Expert Member
Got the same setup with mine. The nice thing is that emby also populates the thumbnails of the movies and shows even on my ps3 and kodi
AND, it seems that Emby is much lighter than Plex on server resources. (I think).

Spiderman_RT

Try Jellyfin
I had issues on windows 10 to connect it to the raspberry pi with kodi on, could not get the samba working. Thus the emby workaround, does jellyfin also pull through the tumbnails of movies and shows to kodi?

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
AND, it seems that Emby is much lighter than Plex on server resources. (I think).
Does emby need an application running on the server as well? Or can I locate a network drive like on Kodi.

K3NS31

Expert Member
Does emby need an application running on the server as well? Or can I locate a network drive like on Kodi.
Emby is a server much like Plex.
Yes, Emby manages your library on your server and does indexing and sharing, then you access and play it from Kodi as a front-end. (Although it seems we should probably move to Jellyfin now)

dualmeister

Honorary Master
My LG Smart TV comes with Emby app.

Have a Plex Pass to get the multi user feature. But, may as well cancel and use Emby for second user :unsure:

Plex for Adults
Emby for the Kid

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Yeah I get the Plex and emby setup.

With Kodi, I don't need to install anything on my PC to turn it into a server. And this clean approach is what I like.

K3NS31

Expert Member
Yeah I get the Plex and emby setup.

With Kodi, I don't need to install anything on my PC to turn it into a server. And this clean approach is what I like.

Not sure if your definition of server and my definition of server is the same thing. I mean a central repository for your media library so you can access it from multiple Kodi instances