Your Raspberry Pi Projects

Sukkafool

so anyone bought the 4Gb version yet?
Became available around lunch time, stock is dropping quick, I'm very tempted.
Placed my order a few minutes back. Never used one before but have wanted to fool around with one for ages because........gadgets you know. Ordered the 4gb version.

Ares1000101

Placed my order a few minutes back. Never used one before but have wanted to fool around with one for ages because........gadgets you know. Ordered the 4gb version.
I'm gona make up my mind tomorrow. No PSU's in stock.... They say ETA 02/08/19.

I had the original model B when it first released. Eventually sold it cos I never used it. But I'm keen to try again, now that the hardware, and more importantly the software, is more mature.

Last edited:

Sukkafool

I'm gona make up my mind tomorrow. No PSU's in stock.... They say ETA 02/08/19.

I had the original model B when it first released. Eventually sold it cis I never used it. But 8mbkeen to try now that the hardware and more importantly the software is more mature.
I queried the power supplies after purchasing a Pi3 power supply when I saw that the official ones for the 4 are different, their reply to my query was as follows:
"Good day

The Pi 4 power supplies should arrive early next week.

The Pi3 power supplies do work on the Pi 4s as long as you do not add too many usb devices. We have tested 2displays with one HAT and one flash drive and all went well. We would not suggest going higher than that without the official power supply"

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
I have been running my home automation from a 3B+ for a few months and was hoping the 4 would have a SATA connector. I know you can run an SSD off USB3 but the OS version I need doesnt support booting from USB.

As anything other than a small server I dont really get the point of the higher end PI's though and generally Arduino'ESP are better for IoT type stuff.

K3NS31

Expert Member
I have been running my home automation from a 3B+ for a few months and was hoping the 4 would have a SATA connector. I know you can run an SSD off USB3 but the OS version I need doesnt support booting from USB.

As anything other than a small server I dont really get the point of the higher end PI's though and generally Arduino'ESP are better for IoT type stuff.
Why don't you boot off sd card and then put temp files, swap, and so on, on the USB connected SSD?

Ares1000101

I queried the power supplies after purchasing a Pi3 power supply when I saw that the official ones for the 4 are different, their reply to my query was as follows:
"Good day

The Pi 4 power supplies should arrive early next week.

The Pi3 power supplies do work on the Pi 4s as long as you do not add too many usb devices. We have tested 2displays with one HAT and one flash drive and all went well. We would not suggest going higher than that without the official power supply"
Yea but then I have to purchase a USB micro to USB C adapter. Also, I want more amps cos I would like to overclock the thing plenty. Need to decide on a cooling solution too....

PsyWulf

Executive Member
Yea but then I have to purchase a USB micro to USB C adapter. Also, I want more amps cos I would like to overclock the thing plenty. Need to decide on a cooling solution too....
The extra amperage is for passthrough to usb and hats,the core itself should fare fine

SabzTheIceCreamMan

Hi Guys!

I'm planning to use the Windows IOT core with a breadboard to possibly create an RC Car. Has anybody had experience installing and configuring Windows IOT on the Pi Platform?

I've used my Pi Model B2 for a number of applications including OpenElec, making it a Web Server and also running Windows with WINE (ARM). I've also managed to run a Frankenstein version of Android.

Thor

Honorary Master
I wrote a python script on my Pi that takes a speedtest every hour, been running for 2 years now.

Average Ping: 28.58ms
Average Download: 36.60Mbps
Average Upload: 9.49Mbps

2019-08-01_11-07-07.png2019-08-01_11-09-49.png

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Why don't you boot off sd card and then put temp files, swap, and so on, on the USB connected SSD?
The main issue is the / and related docker volumes, they have a lot of DB activity on them so they just eat SD cards as a result. Im going to probably just end up virtualizing the whole setup, will keep the PI around for when I need to flash 3rd part hardware by masquerading as an official update mirror.

Tinuva

The Magician

I have had similar issues.
Have a orange-pi zero on a SD card. Had to restore image to new card this past weekend because the previous sd card got destroyed. Luckily it run very little and was super old sd card.

For my main home automation, I have a Minnowboard-Turbot with a WD Green SSD as the main storage, and the SSD is natively supported by the Turbot.

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
I'm using 2 of my Pi's to view my security cams on monitors.... took me a while to piece it all together from different tutorials, but works very nicely.