Your Raspberry Pi Projects

Düber

Are there any Pi projects that don't need rocket science to make work?
There are, the key is to start with more basic things first and the to build up to the more ambitious ones.
I agree with you about the coding, some of the code the guys post make my atrocious code look good!:) And sometimes I wonder if their project ever worked at all.

Many of my projects have been made from stuff that broke that I dismantled, but when I decide to buy something I make sure to have 3 or more different tutorials using the same thing to have some options.

chrisc

Executive Member
I have wasted another two days trying to get this device to do something other than boot up into a Linux-looking screen

One Australian fellow has a YouTube page where he says it will receive Netflix. All that happened to me was that I got a snotty email from Netflix saying I was logging on using an illegal device

So I will sell it

Pi 3B, acrylic case, 5V psu, 32Gb SD card and HDMI cable - is it worth R500?

RonSwanson

Expert Member
I have wasted another two days trying to get this device to do something other than boot up into a Linux-looking screen

One Australian fellow has a YouTube page where he says it will receive Netflix. All that happened to me was that I got a snotty email from Netflix saying I was logging on using an illegal device

So I will sell it

What exactly is it that you are trying to achieve?

HeftyCrab

Expert Member

So I will sell it

Id say depending on how old it is, thats a fair price if you dont need the updates from the Pi4.

I still have a Pi2 running 24/7, that is running Pihole (blocks adds and trackers), SAMBA with harddrives hooked up to share media accross my home network, script controlling a smart power switch hooked up to a wall panel heater in my babies room, and some other stuff. In its earlier life I had it working as a security camera running "motion".

Im really impressed that this thing is still running as its been going since I got it about 4 years ago or whenever the Pi2 was released.

Pseudonym

The release of the RPi4 spurred me into action on a couple of projects (even though I only have a 3B+).

I built a football score monitoring website with a couple of goals
  • Build it in NodeJS with a MySQL backend
  • Clean functional front-end that can
    • On-board new players
    • Track goals and assists and tie them to a time and match
    • Display calculated historical stats
    • Sync goals in real time across devices using WebSockets
  • Containerise the project so it can be spun up on MacOS, x64 Linux and ARM
Here are some screenshots:
1565783748981.png1565783785752.png
It's functional, I would like to add deeper analysis but at the moment I am happy with it.

I then also stumbled across https://parsecgaming.com which despite the fancy looking website is freeware that allows you to stream your screen from device to device with the RPi fully supported. They support both local and cloud streaming (I think they make revenue from renting cloud compute for gaming?) and setup is super simple. Install the package on the RPi, install the client on the PC, register and bang it's done, my RPi connected to my TV was suddenly mirroring my gaming PC. I hooked up my cloned Xbox receiver, the controller was recognised right away (which doesn't even happen natively on windows) and I could fire and Rocket League and start playing.
The latency seems perfect for controller based games (doubt you could play a twitch shooter as well as you can natively) and the stream quality is really good. If things get busy on the screen you can see some blurring but nothing terrible. So much better than my experiences with Steam In-Home streaming and not tied to hardware like nVidia's streaming tech. My devices are all connected to a 100Mbps switch so I can't talk to its wireless performance or whether 1Gbps would improve it even more (not that there is much further to go).

Spiderman_RT

I did thanks, i think the issue was that it was still scanning all my files, causing the server to be slow.
It does take a long time depending on your content, but once its done it works fine. I just need to check but the add-on suggested to install an additional add-on to scan media every time on startup. There is a setting that you can enable after the "second" ? add-on is installed on jellyfin to scan for media, as far as I understand updating libraries is still manual at the moment without that setting. Do you know anything about that?

bar1

Expert Member
library settings: (enable advance settings)

1565788056756.png

and you can schedule a full scan under schedule tasks.

SykomantiS

Expert Member
I have a question for you guys running pihole.
How much latency does it introduce? Would it for instance, impact on gaming appreciably, which is rather sensitive to latency? And does it impact throughput (mbps) at all?

Yeah, sorry for the stupid questions nê, :laugh:

AdrianH

Expert Member
I have a question for you guys running pihole.
How much latency does it introduce? Would it for instance, impact on gaming appreciably, which is rather sensitive to latency? And does it impact throughput (mbps) at all?

Yeah, sorry for the stupid questions nê,
No impact at all. Any DNS requests will be done once and then cached by your PC/console/etc for a period of time.

AdrianH

Expert Member

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Building a Raspberry Pi addon board that emulates a Commodore 1541 disk drive of Commodore 64/Vic-20 etc. Boards designed and waiting for PCB's to be completed.

Screenshot from 2019-08-16 08-16-31.png
Screenshot from 2019-08-16 08-16-53.png