Your tenant / squatter nightmare stories ?

Dolby

Honorary Master
Just wondering what your nightmare stories are ?

My girlfriend has rented out her place 01 January 2020 - 31 December 2020 and the tenant stopped paying rent in April due to Covid. But some of the nightmare points :

- Employer confirms she had been receiving full rent until September - so was just using Covid as an excuse to pocked money
- Squatter was offered her deposit back and to seek alternate, cheaper accommodation back in April 2020- but squatter declined that offer
- She wants to stay rent free until 28 February 2021, as she needs more time to look for a property (8 months wasn't long enough, it seems
- She feels that the property is 'only' investment for us and that she will be homeless without it - so it's more important for her to stay there and have a roof over her head
- She has laid two charges against us 1. harassment (because we asked for rent) and 2. spoliation (violated her rights, as we removed fingerprint access)
- Although the squatter laid the charges, she didn't arrived for either court - so case was dismissed anyhow. We lost more money because of the unpaid leave
- Aside from her attorneys, she got the EFF to call us and tell us how horrible we are / illegal we've been / disrespecting her human rights / they'll support squatter
- We gave up and decided to sell the property - but she refuses to let an agent in the house to take photo

The lawyer feels she does this all the time, as she knows her rights and what can/can't be done. Pl

What makes this even worse, is :

- Her Whatsapp status consists her socializing / drinking ./ holidaying
- She'd rather pay her attorneys and fight with us, than pay rent
- It's almost the end of the original lease - yet, she'll still fight (next court case 01 December)
- Home Owners have identified the unit as a problem unit with noise / fightin etc - but we get the fines ...
- She fights with the units around her - so they've all laid complaints as well

Definitely, the worst squatter I've heard of

beefymoocow

Expert Member
What does she do for a living. Renting is a risky business. But landlords are also to blame. They hardly blacklist the tenant when they don’t pay. So other landlords won’t know. I like to rent out my property to professionals who are registered to a professional body. Like saica. The risk are much lower.

supersunbird

Honorary Master

My girlfriend has rented out her place 01 January 2020 - 31 December 2020 and the tenant stopped paying rent in April due to Covid. But some of the nightmare points :

- Employer confirms she had been receiving full rent until September - so was just using Covid as an excuse to pocked money
- Squatter was offered her deposit back and to seek alternate, cheaper accommodation back in April 2020- but squatter declined that offer
- She wants to stay rent free until 28 February 2021, as she needs more time to look for a property (8 months wasn't long enough, it seems
- She feels that the property is 'only' investment for us and that she will be homeless without it - so it's more important for her to stay there and have a roof over her head
- She has laid two charges against us 1. harassment (because we asked for rent) and 2. spoliation (violated her rights, as we removed fingerprint access)
- Although the squatter laid the charges, she didn't arrived for either court - so case was dismissed anyhow. We lost more money because of the unpaid leave
- Aside from her attorneys, she got the EFF to call us and tell us how horrible we are / illegal we've been / disrespecting her human rights / they'll support squatter
- We gave up and decided to sell the property - but she refuses to let an agent in the house to take photo

The lawyer feels she does this all the time, as she knows her rights and what can/can't be done. Pl

- It's almost the end of the original lease - yet, she'll still fight (next court case 01 December)
- Home Owners have identified the unit as a problem unit with noise / fightin etc - but we get the fines ...

I'd move in with her and make her life suck. Just a weeks leave required.

RonSwanson

Executive Member

:ROFL::laugh: I hope that all the budding landlords on MyBB take note. You do not want to be a landlord, regardless of skin colour, in SA today.

beefymoocow

Expert Member

I suppose an agent wasn’t managing the property?

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
If you have a clause in the contract around selling, I suspect you'd be within your rights to have a locksmith open the place and get an agent in there to take photos.

Although, seeing as they have already negated on their obligations in terms of the contract, I'm sure you can start legal eviction process? Or is the covid rule of no evictions gonna bite you there? Also, once you start, you run the risk of them ripping out the wiring, plumbing tiles etc...

airborne

Honorary Master
With this kind of person the regular legal channel's is just a joke for them, they'll stretch it out as long as it possibly can, as you have seen for yourself. You need to get creative to make them uncomfortable as possible, ie get someone to move in with them.

Then the good time faceplants and things suddenly get very real. They will with all probability move out shortly thereafter because it's clearly not a legit case just a freeloader looking for a good time on easy street. 2 big dudes living in the lounge will make that happen lickety split.

As far as I understand if you do that in the right manner it's perfectly legal and there's nothing they can do.

ProfA

Honorary Master
Being a residential landlord is not for puss1es. I had a property with a tenant that stopped paying. Gave them 7 days notice in person to be out or else I come in move their furniture into the streets. Basically he knew I would do it (by my demeanor). On the 7th day, I reported to the local police station to report what I intend to do and write it in their incident book should the tenant call them (basically convincing them its a civil matter they shouldn't attend to). Pitched up at the house with my brother and a friend to help move the heavy stuff, to discover the house empty. I realise what I did was perhaps not correct according to the law, but i would rather fight it out in court with him out, than fight it out with him still living there. I was also more than willing to sabotage the house and tenant knew this. Was truly willing to make his life a living hell. Never will I let my family suffer because the actions of a freeloader.

now05ster

Expert Member
With this kind of person the regular legal channel's is just a joke for them, they'll stretch it out as long as it possibly can, as you have seen for yourself. You need to get creative to make them uncomfortable as possible, ie get someone to move in with them.

Then the good time faceplants and things suddenly get very real. They will with all probability move out shortly thereafter because it's clearly not a legit case just a freeloader looking for a good time on easy street. 2 big dudes living in the lounge will make that happen lickety split.

As far as I understand if you do that in the right manner it's perfectly legal and there's nothing they can do.
What happens if she were to phone the police advising them that the guy/s raped her? Otherwise a good idea...

beefymoocow

Expert Member
Being a residential landlord is not for puss1es. I had a property with a tenant that stopped paying. Gave them 7 days notice in person to be out or else I come in move their furniture into the streets. Basically he knew I would do it (by my demeanor). On the 7th day, I reported to the local police station to report what I intend to do and write it in their incident book should the tenant call them (basically convincing them its a civil matter they shouldn't attend to). Pitched up at the house with my brother and a friend to help move the heavy stuff, to discover the house empty. I realise what I did was perhaps not correct according to the law, but i would rather fight it out in court with him out, than fight it out with him still living there. I was also more than willing to sabotage the house and tenant knew this. Was truly willing to make his life a living hell. Never will I let my family suffer because the actions of a freeloader.

Did you atleast impair his Tpn record?

ProfA

Honorary Master
Did you atleast impair his Tpn record?
AbsoFCKinglutely. He was a private business owner. I fcked up his credit rating 6-love. And he was just in the process of buying a new truck (he was in the trucking logistics industry) which according to my contact at the bank he was applying for a loan at, was DECLINED! Fck him. And he was two days late with rent. That is unfortunately the secret to handling tenants. You need to be on it immediately. No excuses. And you need to act very decisively. The moment you let a week or more go by with no action, you are fcked.

etwylite

Spent 6 months subsidizing not only no rent but also utilities for a guy and girlfriend because there was a young baby involved. Never again. Heart strings and all that. Ended up at Rental housing tribunal to get them to move on.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Gotta get a court order to throw her out. No other legal way afaik

Can you not remove the front door and move into the unit yourself?
Not allowed & likely to harm future legal proceedings. Basically can't do anything to actively help things along

airborne

Honorary Master
What happens if she were to phone the police advising them that the guy/s raped her? Otherwise a good idea...
That's an interesting angle and I wouldn't knowingly use that as a method but why would the owner be held responsible for that, they didn't rape the person, the rapist did it on their own volition?
Gotta get a court order to throw her out. No other legal way afaik

Not allowed & likely to harm future legal proceedings. Basically can't do anything to actively help things along
For interest sake what are the legalities of the owner moving in to the property themselves with the defaulting tenant?

Let's say the owner was flat broke as a result of the non paymeny and decided to rent out their own home to cover expenses and move in with the tenant.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
For interest sake what are the legalities of the owner moving in to the property themselves with the defaulting tenant?
Well if you can't even change the locks then presumably a cuddling session in their bed is legally not OK either.

Unrelated...seem to recall a DJ thread from years ago with same issue that was solved in similar style as ambroseg1.