Youtube Live streaming over LAN

agentrfr

Expert Member
Easy. Just host is as a stream in VLC as HTTP, remux stream as mkv, and set the input to the YouTube stream's URL.

It'll take 5 minutes to setup, and people can watch in their browsers on phones or computers or tablets over the LAN

PM me if you need help setting it up

agentrfr

Expert Member
No thanks yet.. no one has provided a solid solution if it exists..

We need you to answer some questions some of the folks have posted here....
See above - sorry on phone at the moment

Edit: Whoopsy you are not the OP. Nevermind haha

agentrfr

Expert Member
Good Day,

Any ideas on which software we could utilize on a server to stream YouTube live events over LAN to multiple users to save bandwidth. In other words to use one stream and distribute to multiple users via HTTP etc.

Thnx
Two posts up haha

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Easy. Just host is as a stream in VLC as HTTP, remux stream as mkv, and set the input to the YouTube stream's URL.

It'll take 5 minutes to setup, and people can watch in their browsers on phones or computers or tablets over the LAN

PM me if you need help setting it up
Did you get this to work though? I can get it to work in the above way for a local file, but not for a Youtube video.

Faux_Grey

Unfortunately youtube is unable to be replicated through PIM/IGMP/Multicast features on a network.
I think you'd be better off using OBS to create a stream of the screen, then view that stream on the other devices using VLC.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
why doesnt the 1st guy that watches it just download it and put it on your shared hard drive for others to watch later?

WAslayer

Executive Member
Unfortunately youtube is unable to be replicated through PIM/IGMP/Multicast features on a network.
I think you'd be better off using OBS to create a stream of the screen, then view that stream on the other devices using VLC.
OBS works, as I tested yesterday, other than not having time to figure out why audio wasn't pulling through..

Biks666

Op what is your goal, I know what you trying to do but why?

We have around 1500 users and with COVID our products are launched via live streaming these days - Our local links seems to suffer and the users are experiencing excessive buffering issues. I was looking at Peer5 that's able to stream to a SharePoint page. Regarding VLC its one of our non standard software and could take some convincing to get this approved.

WAslayer

Executive Member
We have around 1500 users and with COVID our products are launched via live streaming these days - Our local links seems to suffer and the users are experiencing excessive buffering issues. I was looking at Peer5 that's able to stream to a SharePoint page. Regarding VLC its one of our non standard software and could take some convincing to get this approved.
Sounds like your company is then in charge of creating and pushing the stream to YouTube yourselves.. I assume that this stream is not sent to YouTube from your office location where the 1500 users reside..?

You could just grab the source stream URL and add it has a source in OBS and then stream that to the local LAN for people to watch over VLC if you can get that approved..

agentrfr

Expert Member
Did you get this to work though? I can get it to work in the above way for a local file, but not for a Youtube video.
Yes I've got it to work before. We did this to watch Dota EDIT: Dota not Donald tf is this spellchecker

I think live YouTube is an HLS stream too, so you could always just parse it with livestreamer to VLC to an mpeg telescene file to another vlc instance to host as an http stream

Last edited:

Divine Master of Unknown

Honorary Master
If you all live together, what's the reason you can't use a media box or laptop and hook it up to a TV?

Or did you not pay your TV licence because I see you dodged @Papa Smurf's question :unsure:

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Thank you donkey
someones paying attention in class today

bashful - GIF on Imgur