Telkom ADSL speed complaint hits the ASA

I should open a bar, and sell Best Effort Double Brandy n Coke. And only pour a teaspoon of brandy. Therefore, I can turn say, R200 profit on a bottle of Klippies, into R1000! GENIUS
 
Ha i love how they say its

"many factors outside of its control can influence the speed of an ADSL connection. These factors include climate, the distance between the customer’s location and the nearest interchange, the quality of the copper cabling, and other geographical factors."

I am paying for the Fastest option, and having to get telkom to limit my connection to a 1mbps to make my line stable
So to save cash i changed my ADSL to the 1 mbps option after that i wasnt getting more then 512kbps!!
they just want your money one way or another!!
 
This is exactly what I stated in a previous post. Telkom's advertised ADSL speeds are theoretical! Subscribe to 10mbps, if budget allows, then use tools like speedtest.net to establish the actual max data throughput. If it's 9mbps fine, stay with 10mbps, but if anything below 4mbps, find the closest ADSL product above your actual line speed... 512kbps, 1mbps, etc. Could save you hundreds a month!
 
Telkom 4Mbps ADSL subscriber is not too happy with the speed which he gets from the service

Nor am I, but I have learnt to live with the speeds as experienced. On a 4096kbps line, I have never seen the minimum speeds Telkom states. I willing to wager that it's probably only 20% that get close to that.
 
Last edited:
The referenced report sounds a bit old if it uses 4096kbps, 512kbps and 384kbps.

I think a better ASA complaint would be about Telkom advertising claiming world class broadband....
 
The referenced report sounds a bit old if it uses 4096kbps, 512kbps and 384kbps.

I think a better ASA complaint would be about Telkom advertising claiming world class broadband....

Oh yes you can bet your bottom that Telkom won't call their offering a "best effort" and blame the weather in that presentation.
 
What is telkom suppose to do? Upgrade the entire infrastructure for one person? It wouldn't be financially feasible, no matter how we look at it :( sad but its true.

I'm only getting 1.6mbps from my 4mbps line, granted this is more than the guy in the article, but I can't expect them to spend a fortune on the infrastructure just for me. (I live on the edge of their network)
 
Telkom responded, saying that many factors outside of its control can influence the speed of an ADSL connection. These factors include climate, the distance between the customer’s location and the nearest interchange, the quality of the copper cabling, and other geographical factors.

Really? REALLY?!
 
I think a better ASA complaint would be about Telkom advertising claiming world class broadband....
Remember most of the people in the world are poor, malnourished and have no internet.
 
Telkom responded, saying that many factors outside of its control can influence the speed of an ADSL connection. These factors include climate, the distance between the customer’s location and the nearest interchange, the quality of the copper cabling, and other geographical factors.

For those who actually have copper cabling to their residence or a semblance of it... :p
 
“As a result, all advertising promotes a ‘best effort’ scenario,” Telkom told the ASA. Telkom added that its reference to “fast” in association with Internet access was justified, as it was a comparison to traditional dial-up connectivity.
Telkom is still comparing to 128kbps dial-up? ... :wtf:
They need to join the real world a.k.a. overseas, where intelligent folk run the systems
 
Their advertising which all says 'Up to x mbps' kind of says it all. Guy never stood a chance.
 
So what about something that is in Telkom's control? A congested Exchange comes to mind or is service delivery also "best effort" from Telkom?

/really, really wish that they would just go to hell and something better would rise from the ashes but this is Telkom a state-owned company and lets face it until the State leaves nothing but inept service will be delivered...
*ends rant*
 
Telkom responded, saying that many factors outside of its control can influence the speed of an ADSL connection. These factors include climate, the distance between the customer’s location and the nearest interchange, the quality of the copper cabling, and other geographical factors.

I agree. How exactly are these factors out of Telkom's control? Improve the quality of the copper cabling and/or build more exchanges closer to your subscribers. Simple, really! ;P
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X