Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Wi-Fi Authentication Enhancements for Telkom subscribers and Non-Telkom Subscribe

Default New Wi-Fi Authentication Enhancements for Telkom subscribers and Non-Telkom Subscribe

1. What is the current Wi-Fi authentication process for Telkom mobile and non-Telkom subscribers?
    • Telkom Mobile subscribers are required to connect to 1 Telkom Connect network once they are within a Telkom

Mobile Hotspot to use the service
    • Telkom mobile subscribers are required to setup their device to connect via EAP-SIM authentication if the device
    supports EAP-SIM to connect to Telkom’s Wi-Fi
    • Or add a secondary device via MAC address on Telkom’s Self-service portal to connect to Telkom’s Wi-Fi using
    MAC authentication
    • Non-Telkom subscribers were required to send an SMS to 32676 to receive a PIN code that they are required to
    redeem on the Wi-Fi portal to access the 30 minutes of free Wi-Fi
    • Once connected to the Wi-Fi network Telkom Mobile subscribers will be able to connect to the internet immediately

2. What has changed with the latest Wi-Fi enhancements launched?
    a) Telkom mobile Contract and Pre-paid subscribers will be required to set-up their device to connect to Telkom’s
    Wi-Fi.
    1. EAP-PEAP authentication:
    • If the device does not support EAP-SIM authentication or is a non-SIM based device such as laptops and WI-FI
    tablets.
    • to link a second device to the Unlimited Wi-Fi VAS bundle
    2. EAP-SIM authentication
    • If the device supports EAP-SIM authentication or is a SIM based device

3. MAC authentication
    • It has been replaced by EAP-PEAP registration (Username and password registration) and Telkom mobile
    Subscribers will be able to use EAP-PEAP registration (Username and password registration) to connect two
    devices to the unlimited WI-FI VAS bundle.

4. Telkom mobile subscribers are then required to connect to “1 Telkom Connect” network to use the Wi-Fi service

b) Non-Telkom subscribers, Telkom fixed and non-qualifying Telkom mobile pre-paid and hybrid subscribers will be
    required to register their device to connect to Telkom’s Wi-Fi via:

1. EAP-PEAP registration (Username and password registration) on Telkom’s Wi-Fi portal page which can be found on
    the following link https://Wi-Fi.telkom.co.za/umbrella/Wi-Fi/myWi-Fi
    2. Subscribers are then required to connect to “1 Telkom Guest” network to use the Wi-Fi service

3. How do Telkom mobile subscriber’s set-up their primary device to connect to a Telkom Wi-Fi Hotspot?
    1. Via EAP-PEAP Authentication

Telkom mobile Contract and Pre-paid subscribers will be required to set-up their device to connect to Telkom’s Wi-Fi via EAP-PEAP authentication:
    o If the device does not support EAP-SIM authentication.
    o Or is not a SIM based device such as laptops or Wi-Fi tablets.
    o Or to link a second device to the Unlimited Wi-Fi VAS
    EAP-PEAP authentication involves the registration of a Username and Password that will be used in the once-off setup and authentication of devices.
    NB: EAP-PEAP authentication will not be applicable for primary IOS device as IOS devices get the EAP-SIM certificate automatically installed with carrier settings during the initial setup of Apple devices. EAP-PEAP authentication will only be required for secondary IOS device setup that is required to link a second device to the unlimited Wi-Fi VAS bundle.

STEP 1: User Name and Password Registration
    • Please register and / or login in to the My Telkom self-service portal on http://www.telkom.co.za
    • Once logged in to your account select Manage Subscription
    • On the manage subscription page select the number to be added from the drop down list or enter MSISDN Number:
    081XXXXXXX
    • Under existing services package view the status of the selected mobile number and ensure It is active
    • Click Fetch
    • When the data is returned, go to Set Wi-Fi Password
    • Register Username (Cell phone number) and password to use for Wi-Fi once-off registration
    • Enter your password, Password must be between 8 and 14 characters, must include 1 capital letter and one
    number
    • Enter the Confirmed Password
    • Click on Set Password, once done the message Successful reset of password will display

STEP 2: Once-Off EAP-PEAP Device Setup

• Connect to “1 Telkom Connect” when at a Telkom Wi-Fi Hotspot
    • Change EAP method to use EAP-PEAP or PEAP on your device under device setting section
    • In the identity field, enter the username and password supplied during registration in step 1 above
    • Append @ telkommobile.net to the username, format to be used is [email protected]
    • Enter the password supplied during registration
    • Click connect

2. Via EAP-SIM Authentication
    EAP-SIM authentication is applicable for devices that are SIM based as the validation or authentication to Telkom’s Wi-Fi network will be done based on the subscribers SIM information. NB: IOS devices get the EAP-SIM certificate automatically installed with carrier settings during the initial setup of Apple devices and will no longer be required to manually setup their devices. The following steps apply for EAP-SIM registration on device.

How to setup your Device for EAP-SIM registration at a Wi-Fi Hotspot
    Telkom Mobile subscribers will need to apply the following EAP-SIM settings for the different operating systems to connect to the Telkom’s Wi-Fi service:
    Telkom Subscribers:
    o Go to device settings
    o Turn on Wi-Fi
    o Search for nearby Wi-Fi networks
    o Connect to “1 Telkom Connect” when at a Telkom Wi-Fi Hotspot
    o Change EAP method to use EAP-SIM or SIM on your device and click connect
    o Click connect
    o You will now be seamlessly connected to any of Telkom’s Wi-Fi Hotspot

1. How do I connect using an Android based device
    • Go to your settings, turn on your Wi-Fi, and search for nearby Wi-Fi networks.
    • Connect to the wireless network: 1 Telkom Connect.
    • Change EAP method to use EAP-SIM or SIM on your device under device setting section Click on Connect
    • You will in future be seamlessly connected to Telkom’s Wi-Fi when your Wi-Fi is switched on.

2. How do I connect using an IOS based device
    • IOS devices get the EAP-SIM certificate automatically installed with carrier settings during the initial setup of
    Apple devices and will no longer be required to manually setup their devices.
    • Customers need to ensure that their Wi-Fi is switched on to connect to 1 Telkom Connect Network at a Telkom
    Wi-Fi hotspot

3. How do I connect using a BlackBerry based device
    • Go to your network settings, turn on your Wi-Fi, and search for nearby Wi-Fi networks.
    • Connect to the wireless network: 1 Telkom Connect.
    • Change the authentication method of the enterprise sub-type to use EAP-SIM on your device, then save and
    connect.
    • You will in future be seamlessly connected to Telkom’s Wi-Fi when your Wi-Fi is switched on

4. Will Telkom mobile Subscribers be able to use MAC address authentication to access Telkom’s Wi-Fi?
    No, MAC authentication has been replaced by EAP-PEAP authentication. Telkom mobile Subscribers will be able to use EAP-PEAP authentication to connect to Telkom’s Wi-Fi or connect two devices to the unlimited WI-FI VAS bundle.

5. Can I use a second device to access Telkom’s Wi-Fi other than my registered primary device?
    Yes, Telkom understands that you may need to use a different device other than the registered primary device to access Telkom’s Wi-Fi service. Therefore, Telkom allows you to link a second device (e.g. a laptop or tablet) to access Telkom’s Wi-Fi service through EAP-PEAP authentication.
    Last edited by Telkom; 20-11-2015 at 08:43 AM.

6. How do Telkom mobile subscriber’s set-up their second device in-order to connect to a Telkom Wi-Fi Hotspot?
    NB: Please note that MAC Authentication for the addition of a second device was discontinued and contract and pre-paid customers that need to link a second device to their unlimited Wi-Fi VAS bundle will need to do so via EAP-PEAP authentication. The below process will apply when linking a second device to the Free Unlimited Wi-Fi VAS Bundle:

STEP 1: EAP-PEP User Name and Password Registration – For Second Device
    In instances where a Telkom mobile customer wishes to access Telkom’s Wi-Fi network with another device using EAP-PEAP authentication, the customer shall be required to register (once-off) on Telkom’s self-service portal and associate the Telkom subscription with his current profile.
    • Please register and / or login in to the My Telkom self-service portal on http://www.telkom.co.za
    • Once logged in link your account to your profile, if not already associated. (Under Personal Accounts select “Link Personal Accounts”)
    • Under Personal Accounts select Manage Subscription
    • Select the appropriate mobile number and click on fetch
    • Scroll down to the “Set Wi-Fi Password” section
    • Enter your password
    • Enter the Confirm Password
    • Click on Set Password

STEP 2: Once-Off EAP-PEAP Authentication - Secondary Device Setup
    • Change EAP method to use EAP-PEAP or PEAP on your device under device setting section
    • In the identity field, enter the username and password supplied during registration in step 1
    • Append @ telkommobile.net to the username, format to be used is [email protected]
    • Click connect
    • You will now be seamlessly connected to any of Telkom’s Wi-Fi Hotspot
    NB: EAP-PEAP authentication will only be required for secondary IOS device setup that is required to link a second device to the unlimited Wi-Fi VAS bundle. The below process will apply when linking a second IOS device to the Free Unlimited Wi-Fi VAS Bundle:

STEP 3: Once-Off EAP-PEAP Authentication - Second Device Setup For IOS Devices
    • Delete the EAP-SIM certificate on the IOS device
    • Download the EAP-PEAP certificate for IOS devices on the following link: http://www.telkom.co.za/today
    /help/downloads/file/ios-Wi-Fi-configuration-file/
    • Click install on the next two window’s displayed
    • Please follow the steps highlighted in step 1 above to register and / or login in to the My Telkom self-service portal
    on http://www.telkom.co.za and register a Username and password
    • In the identity field, enter the username and password supplied during registration in step 1
    • You will now be seamlessly connected to any of Telkom’s Wi-Fi Hotspot
    7. I have subscribed to a Telkom Mobile offer but did not qualify for the Free Unlimited Wi-Fi VAS Bundle, what other options are available?
    Telkom has on offer Wi-Fi bundles that are available for purchase:
    • Telkom Mobile Wi-Fi 30 Minutes for R15
    • Telkom Mobile Wi-Fi 60 Minutes for R25

8. Where can I get my Wi-Fi bundle?
    For Telkom customers Wi-Fi bundles will be available to purchase in the following channels:
    • via Telkom Stores and external dealer channels in the form of pin-less/pin-based Wi-Fi vouchers
    • via the USSD menu by dialling *180#
    • via My Telkom account on the Self-service portal at http://www.telkommobile.co.za
    • via Telkom’s Apps – IOS and Android...

9. How does a Telkom Mobile subscriber check their Wi-Fi balance?
    Option 1: Self-service portal
    Telkom Mobile subscribers can log in to their My Telkom account on the Self Service portal at http://www.telkom.co.za to view their Wi-Fi balance.

Option 2: Dial USSD Short code
    Dial USSD short code *188#, to receive your Wi-Fi balance.

Option 3: USSD Menu
    Dial *188# under the USSD tab on your data modem dashboard

Option 4: Wi-Fi portal –applies only to non-Telkom Mobile subscribers

10. How do non-Telkom subscribers register their device to connect to a Telkom Wi-Fi Hotspot?
    a) Via EAP-PEAP Registration (Username and Password Registration)
    Non-Telkom subscribers will be required to register their device to connect to Telkom’s Wi-Fi via EAP-PEAP registration (username and password registration). EAP-PEAP registration involves the registration of a Username and Password that will be supplied during the registration process on Telkom’s Wi-Fi portal. EAP-PEAP registration will be applicable for primary IOS device if the subscriber is not registered on Telkom’s network.

STEP 1: EAP-PEAP Registration - User Name and Password Registration
    • Connect to “1 Telkom Guest” when at a Telkom Wi-Fi Hotspot
    • You will be redirected to the Wi-Fi portal landing page or can access the Wi-Fi portal page on the following link
    https://Wi-Fi.telkom.co.za/umbrella/Wi-Fi/myWi-Fi
    • Please register by clicking the register button and following the registration prompts if you are a first time user

STEP 2: EAP-PEAP Authentication (Username and Password login)

• After the registration process, login to your Wi-Fi account using the username and password supplied during the
    registration process outlined in step 1 above
    • Once logged in to your Wi-Fi account, you can either choose to use the 30 minutes free Wi-Fi access or purchase
    a 30 or 60 minutes Wi-Fi bundle using your credit card
    • In future you will be required to login to your Wi-Fi account using your username and password every time you
    connect to a Telkom Wi-Fi hotspot

11. How do non-Telkom subscriber’s set-up their second device in-order to connect to a Telkom Wi-Fi Hotspot?
    STEP 1: EAP-PEAP Registration - User Name and Password Registration
    • Connect to “1 Telkom Guest” when at a Telkom Wi-Fi Hotspot
    • You will be redirected to the Wi-Fi portal landing page or can access the Wi-Fi portal page on the following link
    https://Wi-Fi.telkom.co.za/umbrella/Wi-Fi/myWi-Fi
    • Please register by clicking the register button and following the registration prompts if you are a first time user

STEP 2: EAP-PEAP Authentication (Username and Password login)
    • Login to your Wi-Fi account using the username and password supplied during the registration process
    • Once logged in to your Wi-Fi account, you can either choose to use the 30 minutes free Wi-Fi access or purchase
    a 30 or 60 minutes Wi-Fi bundle using your credit card
    • In future you will be required to login to your Wi-Fi account using your username and password every time you
    connect to a Telkom Wi-Fi Hotspot

12. How many allocations per day does a no-Telkom subscriber have to the 30 Minutes of Free Wi-Fi?
    Non-Telkom Subscribers are only allocated one 30 minutes free Wi-Fi access per day

13. I have run out of the 30 minutes of free Wi-Fi access and need additional access for the day, what other options are available?
    Telkom has on offer Wi-Fi bundles that are available for purchase using a credit card that’s available on the Wi-Fi portal:
    • Telkom Mobile Wi-Fi 30 Minutes for R15
    • Telkom Mobile Wi-Fi 60 Minutes for R25

14. How does a Telkom Mobile Wi-Fi bundle work?
    Depending on the bundle purchased, the Telkom Mobile Wi-Fi bundle will give you either 30 minutes or 60 minutes to access the internet via Telkom Mobile’s Wi-Fi network. The countdown of the access window begins once the time based Wi-Fi ad-hoc bundle is activated; therefore you need to be in a Telkom Mobile Wi-Fi hotspot when purchasing the bundle.

15. Where can I access a Telkom Mobile Wi-Fi hotspot?
    To locate Telkom Wi-Fi hotspots around the country please visit http://www.telkom.co.za/ coverage, or dial USSD Code *120*8686# to find the nearest Wi-Fi hotspot.

16. Can I purchase multiple Wi-Fi bundles concurrently?
    No, as these are time based bundles, you can only buy one at a time and when depleted the timer will notify you to purchase another one.

17. How do I get hold of your call centre
    For support please call 081180 and choose the data option

TLDR
    Seems very easy simple process

PEAP-EAP for Phase 1. What is the Phase 2 method? Is it EAP-MSCHAPv2? or something else?

I meticulously followed all the steps listed & I can't connect on my notebook.
    Any suggestions?

Telkom please provide updated instructions . I'm finding it awfully hard to set up my secondary device.

changing the password in the webpage is impossible, tried dozens of time and nothing happens

Following 6.1 and 6.2, I had no problems connecting my Vodacom phone. However, the biggest problem was losing the connection, with authentication issues. Connecting to the guest site then back again sometimes helped, but all in all very frustrating to get a reconnect. I probably spent more time using Vodacom prepaid data than the free wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucano View Post
    changing the password in the webpage is impossible, tried dozens of time and nothing happens
    STEP 1: User Name and Password Registration
    • Once logged in to your account select Manage Subscription
    • On the manage subscription page select the number to be added from the drop down list or enter MSISDN Number:
    081XXXXXXX
    • Under existing services package view the status of the selected mobile number and ensure It is active
    • Click Fetch
    • When the data is returned, go to Set Wi-Fi Password
    • Register Username (Cell phone number) and password to use for Wi-Fi once-off registration
    • Enter your password, Password must be between 8 and 14 characters, must include 1 capital letter and one
    number
    • Enter the Confirmed Password
    Click on Set Password, once done the message Successful reset of password will display

Same problem here, have tried several times but that last stage where you click set password never complete, the thing just spins and spins but never confirms that the password has been reset. @Telkom is this a bug you are aware of?
    Have you tried a reboot?

changing the mac address, for secondary device, why can I not find it... did it once, now I cant find the option after logging into self service...

Anyone getting this to work? Logged in to eservices and there is no more an place to change/register wifi password

Anybody else experiencing very slow speeds on "1 Telkom Connect" when they previously had very fast speeds?

A Djinn

Quote Originally Posted by talentedone View Post
    Anybody else experiencing very slow speeds on "1 Telkom Connect" when they previously had very fast speeds?
    Slow as hell. It's been that way for the past month now for me.

The hell is going on?
    Quote Originally Posted by CorrieV2.0 View Post
    ... trust me I will feel threatened when you come.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast