Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cell C Data Disappearing.

Default Cell C Data Disappearing.

I have a problem I am wondering if I can get some assistance. Around early September I bought 100gigs data from Cell C that I use for my online classes. I plugged the sim card in my Huawei B315 and everything was working perfectly. Prior to Cell C I had telkom adsl and never had any problems with people hacking into my wifi. Anyway by the end of september my usage was around 40gigs. I continued into October but working less hours as I had exams. Nearing mid October my data completely vanished. I went to the Cell C shop who printed out a usage sheet. It showed that around 50gigs was used up between the 2nd and 10th of October. That is 50gigs in 8 days. The usage showed according to Cell C, someone had managed to hack into my wifi network and was systematically "downloading" between 3 and 5 gigs of data on a daily basis between that period. The funniest thing is it was always at during the same time period between midnight and 1am.

The agent advised me to change passwords and all and I should be fine. I bought a new Cell C sim card, loaded another 100gigs. I went to my router, put in the most cryptic of all passwords, disabled my wifi broadcast and blocked all mac address except for mine. I loaded my new sim card into my router and suddenly without doing anything my data had already has 2gigs used up. I decided to leave it and continued working. Beginning of November I moved to a new neighbourhood. I resumed my work but the load on my LTE data is less because there is already wifi in the building. Since my wifi is disabled noone can actually find it and use it. I was doing my work and suddenly again my data vanished. I check the sim messages and shows that I consumed 20gigs in 6 days. My ethernet usage on my computer shows 26 gigs used in the last 30 days. How does this reconcile?

I tried to contact Cell C but they are not really helping at the moment. I am not sure if I am the only one but somehow i think many are being defrauded by someone. One some of the days my data has been shown to be used up, my router was actually off. I am asking for assistance on the best way to tackle this matter, or maybe I am just missing something.

look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by zimbobwe View Post
    My ethernet usage on my computer shows 26 gigs used in the last 30 days.
    Maybe this is just the download usage. LTE can upload pretty fast. Are you using windows 10?

Quote Originally Posted by samvan23 View Post
    Maybe this is just the download usage. LTE can upload pretty fast. Are you using windows 10?
    The windows 10 data usage monitor includes the upload.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocolateBadger View Post
    Welcome to life. It's your life. Do what you want.
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6136410418

I went to the Cell C shop who printed out a usage sheet. It showed that around 50gigs was used up between the 2nd and 10th of October. That is 50gigs in 8 days. The usage showed according to Cell C, someone had managed to hack into my wifi network and was systematically "downloading" between 3 and 5 gigs of data on a daily basis between that period. The funniest thing is it was always at during the same time period between midnight and 1am.
    I am pretty sure it is Windows updating itself and something is crashing during the update. It has a nasty feature that it will delete downloaded file and next time it will download again. Windows 10 major update take about 4GB. Disable automatic updates if you can.

I have a problem I am wondering if I can get some assistance. Around early September I bought 100gigs data from Cell C that I use for my online classes. I plugged the sim card in my Huawei B315 and everything was working perfectly. Prior to Cell C I had telkom adsl and never had any problems with people hacking into my wifi. Anyway by the end of september my usage was around 40gigs. I continued into October but working less hours as I had exams. Nearing mid October my data completely vanished. I went to the Cell C shop who printed out a usage sheet. It showed that around 50gigs was used up between the 2nd and 10th of October. That is 50gigs in 8 days. The usage showed according to Cell C, someone had managed to hack into my wifi network and was systematically "downloading" between 3 and 5 gigs of data on a daily basis between that period. The funniest thing is it was always at during the same time period between midnight and 1am.

The agent advised me to change passwords and all and I should be fine. I bought a new Cell C sim card, loaded another 100gigs. I went to my router, put in the most cryptic of all passwords, disabled my wifi broadcast and blocked all mac address except for mine. I loaded my new sim card into my router and suddenly without doing anything my data had already has 2gigs used up. I decided to leave it and continued working. Beginning of November I moved to a new neighbourhood. I resumed my work but the load on my LTE data is less because there is already wifi in the building. Since my wifi is disabled noone can actually find it and use it. I was doing my work and suddenly again my data vanished. I check the sim messages and shows that I consumed 20gigs in 6 days. My ethernet usage on my computer shows 26 gigs used in the last 30 days. How does this reconcile?

I tried to contact Cell C but they are not really helping at the moment. I am not sure if I am the only one but somehow i think many are being defrauded by someone. One some of the days my data has been shown to be used up, my router was actually off. I am asking for assistance on the best way to tackle this matter, or maybe I am just missing something.

look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Hi zimbobwe

Please PM us the number in question as well as your contact number, and we will look into the matter.

^SM

Quote Originally Posted by samvan23 View Post
    Yes I am

All my midnight data 200 gigs has gone missing

Waiting to hear what happened to their data.

Quote Originally Posted by maumau View Post
    Waiting to hear what happened to their data.
    Using Windows 10 and wondering what happened with their data. .LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by sajunky View Post
    Using Windows 10 and wondering what happened with their data. .LOL.
    Everyone forgets to open control panel and disable updates

Quote Originally Posted by tiger001 View Post
    All my midnight data 200 gigs has gone missing
    Hi tiger001

We would like to assist you. Please PM the cell phone number in question as well as your contact number and email address, we will validate your data usage for you.

^MM

I too have noticed and I'm sure it is a well known fact that windows 10 will download updates at times even when you switch off automatic updates. If I'm not mistaken there is some data connection i.e ethernet that will be used to download updates even when you turn off automatic updates. Thats windows 10 for you. The best way to observe this is have a data meter or bandwidth meter that you observe and track your usage. I have one although on mac and my usage would be as per normal but the moment I switch on the windows 10 VM data starts getting used. Even contemplating going back to windows 7. But yea my advice, use a third party app to monitor the bandwidth usage and track things that way.

I would not run Windows 10 even if you paid me.Still waiting for feed back from Cell C regarding my missing midnight data Cell C rep I sent you another PM
    Last edited by tiger001; 16-12-2016 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cell_C View Post
    Hi tiger001

We would like to assist you. Please PM the cell phone number in question as well as your contact number and email address, we will validate your data usage for you.

^MM
    Still waiting for feed back??

Thank you very much Cell C Rep all my data is back

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast