Prineshan_Amichand
New Member
- Joined
- Sep 29, 2026
- Messages
- 7
- Reaction score
- 2
Hi @CoolEscalator, @PBCool
I'm hoping someone can assist with a strange upload performance issue that Cool Ideas and Zoom Fibre have been investigating.
I have a symmetrical fibre connection, and the connection is clearly capable of approximately 200 Mbps upstream. However, single-stream TCP upload performance is consistently extremely low.
Testing against the Cool Ideas Johannesburg iPerf3 server (ter-jhb-iperf-1.cisp.co.za, port 17001) has produced the following:
Windows
I therefore booted the same Dell laptop from a Zorin Linux Live USB, disabled Wi-Fi and confirmed the Ethernet connection at 1 Gbps / Full Duplex.
Without changing the network connection, I repeated the Cool Ideas iPerf3 tests:
Zorin Linux
Other troubleshooting already completed includes:
Why can one upstream TCP flow only achieve approximately 20 Mbps, while 16 parallel upstream TCP flows collectively achieve the full ~200 Mbps — yet one downstream TCP flow can achieve ~200 Mbps?
At this stage the behaviour has survived different routers/direct ONT testing and now two completely different operating systems.
Cool Ideas and Zoom Fibre are still investigating the matter. I'm not trying to point fingers at either party — I'm hoping someone here, particularly the Cool Ideas network guys, may recognise this pattern or suggest where we should be looking next.
@CoolEscalator — I can PM you my existing Cool Ideas ticket/reference and any additional iPerf results required.
I'm hoping someone can assist with a strange upload performance issue that Cool Ideas and Zoom Fibre have been investigating.
I have a symmetrical fibre connection, and the connection is clearly capable of approximately 200 Mbps upstream. However, single-stream TCP upload performance is consistently extremely low.
Testing against the Cool Ideas Johannesburg iPerf3 server (ter-jhb-iperf-1.cisp.co.za, port 17001) has produced the following:
Windows
- 1 TCP stream upload: ~14–25 Mbps
- 16 parallel TCP streams upload: ~193–200 Mbps
- 1 TCP stream download: ~200 Mbps
I therefore booted the same Dell laptop from a Zorin Linux Live USB, disabled Wi-Fi and confirmed the Ethernet connection at 1 Gbps / Full Duplex.
Without changing the network connection, I repeated the Cool Ideas iPerf3 tests:
Zorin Linux
- 1 TCP stream upload: 22.9 Mbps
- 16 parallel TCP streams upload: ~200 Mbps
- 1 TCP stream download: ~200 Mbps
Other troubleshooting already completed includes:
- Testing directly via the ONT/CPE, bypassing my normal router.
- Zoom Fibre technician onsite testing.
- Physical Ethernet links confirmed at 1 Gbps/full duplex with no CRC/FCS errors observed on the normal router WAN.
- PPPoE/path MTU tested at 1480. A 1452-byte ICMP payload with DF passes; 1453 requires fragmentation.
- Temporarily reducing the Windows Ethernet MTU to 1480 made no material difference to the single-stream upload result.
- Multiple Speedtest servers can achieve approximately 200 Mbps upload, while the Cool Ideas Speedtest server has repeatedly been around ~85 Mbps upload.
- Zoom's checks so far have not identified a physical fibre fault.
Why can one upstream TCP flow only achieve approximately 20 Mbps, while 16 parallel upstream TCP flows collectively achieve the full ~200 Mbps — yet one downstream TCP flow can achieve ~200 Mbps?
At this stage the behaviour has survived different routers/direct ONT testing and now two completely different operating systems.
Cool Ideas and Zoom Fibre are still investigating the matter. I'm not trying to point fingers at either party — I'm hoping someone here, particularly the Cool Ideas network guys, may recognise this pattern or suggest where we should be looking next.
@CoolEscalator — I can PM you my existing Cool Ideas ticket/reference and any additional iPerf results required.
