2008 Opel Corsa lite issues

Hornett

Over fueling will not make your manifold glow red with heat. Rather under fueling. too much air in the fuel ratio burns hotter, more power and then melts your engine. those two symptoms seems to clash a bit.
Unless the outlet valves are still open, loss of power and the flames down the exhaust.

You did not mention water temp sender. Car is warm, but it thinks it is still cold. Will over fuel your car. Give you all the symptoms you state.

Make 100% of your timing.

Make sure idle control valve is clean.
I have checked and double checked timing yes I have changed the water tep switch ass
well
I thought it's over-fuel because I get a strong smell of fuel.
I'm going to change the coil pack tonight and see what it does if it still glow red I will move to valves and do Compression test.
Thanks for the repl.

carnagelan

The drum is supposed to offer resistance to the brake piston when you brake, braking without a drum extends the piston too far and causes the fluid leak.

You now have air in your brake lines and the brakes would need to be bled properly.
I went and bought all new springs and adjuster for the breaks. The adjuster they gave me is bigger than the original. Going back tomorrow to replace it.

Attachments

carnagelan

Yeah, it's probably the same thing, I had a premature failure on the last one I bought at Goldwagen, so I wouldn't be picky.
Hi man,
I have put the breaks back together which isnt a problem and pretty easy. The only issue i am having is connecting this spring. I know how it goes in but i can't figure out how to make the spring tight.

Attachments

thechamp

Honorary Master
Hi man,
I have put the breaks back together which isnt a problem and pretty easy. The only issue i am having is connecting this spring. I know how it goes in but i can't figure out how to make the spring tight.
It's a trial and error thing until you get it right. You need to press the nail type thing with you finger from the other side, get a long nose plier to compress the spring and twist to lock it. The challenge is that when you twist the spring the locking nail should not move.

carnagelan

It's a trial and error thing until you get it right. You need to press the nail type thing with you finger from the other side, get a long nose plier to compress the spring and twist to lock it. The challenge is that when you twist the spring the locking nail should not move.
I got that right. The breaks are assembled. Putting them back in is now another mission as the cover is not closing. Given up for today

thechamp

Honorary Master
I got that right. The breaks are assembled. Putting them back in is now another mission as the cover is not closing. Given up for today
You'll get it right, you need to properly align the shoes so that they make a nice circle shape for the drum to fit in, they are still new so you need to adjust them until the drum fits, adjust, tap into shape until the drum goes in. You need to get a nice snug fit, the drum should not go on too easy or too hard.

carnagelan

You'll get it right, you need to properly align the shoes so that they make a nice circle shape for the drum to fit in, they are still new so you need to adjust them until the drum fits, adjust, tap into shape until the drum goes in. You need to get a nice snug fit, the drum should not go on too easy or too hard.
Im going to do that tomorrow. Play around with it.

carnagelan

Hi Bud,
I just came back from visiting family before lockdown so i had my car in the garage.

The first pick is how it looks like with the new breaks. Everything seems fine.

The 2nd pick. The spring at the bottom connecting the 2 shoes together is very loose. As you can see in the picture i have put the bottom of the left hand shoe on top of the bracket. That way it closes fine.
If i put it next to the bracket like the right hand show where the hand break is connected two is doesn't close and the bottom part feels very loose

Attachments

thechamp

Honorary Master
Something looks wrong, the spring through which the cable goes at the bottom should not be that compressed, it's like you are working with the handbrake on? See if the cable was not over tightened at the handbrake to compensate for some defect.

Look at this and compare it with yours.

1618.jpg

carnagelan

Something looks wrong, the spring through which the cable goes at the bottom should not be that compressed, it's like you are working with the handbrake on? See if the cable was not over tightened at the handbrake to compensate for some defect.

View attachment 807359
Thanks for the image.
I thought there might of been something wrong with the hand break as when i was driving it always felt tight. The handbreak is down. The break lever on the shoe comes out further than your image when it is attached. I suggest the handbreak needs to be loosened
My corsa doesnt have a center consol and is only carpet with a very small slit under the hand break. It is really difficult getting in there. I will have a look tomorrow and find the adjustment and loosen it a bit.

When this virus is over and you around jhb ill take you for s couple of beers.

I Really appreciate your help and already have learnt alot about my little car

Last edited:

carnagelan

When i first bought the breaks and then i bought the spring set. I only realised today that the springs were slightly larger that the originals. So i am using the originals again. The breaks cost me 185 and midas and the spring set cost me just over 400 at gold wagon.

gamer16

Honorary Master
I have checked and double checked timing yes I have changed the water tep switch ass
well
I thought it's over-fuel because I get a strong smell of fuel.
I'm going to change the coil pack tonight and see what it does if it still glow red I will move to valves and do Compression test.
Thanks for the repl.
Engines that run lean (too little fuel) run very hot, its a tricky one to make sense of especially with very modern EFi engines as they have much more control and can run very lean very safely. Biggest issue is when your mixture is lean it won't ignite as it should in a uniform flow but will instead knock which is when parts of the mixture ignite at the incorrect time which will obviously damage things and most of what isn't burnt in the combustion chamber will ignite in the manifolds, which is why they may glow red.

carnagelan

View attachment 807359
Thanks so much for your help. The issue i had was the adjuster just needed tweaking and the one side if the adjuster with the long and short part was the wring way around.
The cover closes now.

While im at it i am going to see if i can fix the handbreak springs connected to the handbreak latch on the shoe. it is very compressed on both wheels when the hand break is down ad if the hand break is a little bit up

Thanks again for all your help

thechamp

Honorary Master
Thanks so much for your help. The issue i had was the adjuster just needed tweaking and the one side if the adjuster with the long and short part was the wring way around.
The cover closes now.

While im at it i am going to see if i can fix the handbreak springs connected to the handbreak latch on the shoe. it is very compressed on both wheels when the hand break is down ad if the hand break is a little bit up

Thanks again for all your help
But it is the cable that is compressing the spring surely and that's what you need to fix, have you found the adjustment nut on the handbrake?

carnagelan

But it is the cable that is compressing the spring surely and that's what you need to fix, have you found the adjustment nut on the handbrake?
No i haven't. I haven't looked properly as i was busy with the breaks. I did some googling and some peopel say the adjustment is in the center of the rear axle side. I will double check the handbreak nut a but later on