2017 International Tests

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Lions squad got announced. Sam Warburton is captain again. Only the 2nd person to be captain more than once. Other was Martin Johnson.

http://www.espn.com.au/rugby/story/_/id/19191256/british-irish-lions-sam-warburton-named-captain

Backs: Dan Biggar, Elliot Daly, Jonathan Davies, Owen Farrell, Leigh Halfpenny, Robbie Henshaw, Stuart Hogg, Jonathan Joseph, Conor Murray, George North, Jack Nowell, Jared Payne, Jonathan Sexton, Tommy Seymour, Ben Te'o, Anthony Watson, Rhys Webb, Liam Williams, Ben Youngs.

Forwards: Rory Best, Dan Cole, Taulupe Faletau, Tadhg Furlong, Jamie George, Iain Henderson, Maro Itoje, Alun Wyn Jones, George Kruis, Courtney Lawes, Joe Marler, Jack McGrath, Ross Moriarty, Sean O'Brien, Peter O'Mahony, Ken Owens, Kyle Sinckler, CJ Stander, Justin Tipuric, Mako Vunipola, Billy Vunipola, Sam Warburton (captain).
Potent squad.

crackersa

Honorary Master
might be the wrong section...apologies. My father sent me this.....

[video=youtube;nVzzhq5whWE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVzzhq5whWE[/video]

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
From Supersport.com

Rugby headed for Orlando and Moses Mabhida Stadiums

International rugby will return to Soweto’s Orlando Stadium and debut at Moses Mabhida Stadium in Durban in June when the South African ‘A’ team take on the French Barbarians in two exciting encounters.

These matches are being hosted in Durban and Soweto with the assistance of the Gauteng Provincial Government and the eThekwini Municipality – Moses Mabhida Stadium, on the eve of the second and third tests between the Springboks and France respectively.

The opening clash in Durban, on Friday 16 June, will be the first-ever senior rugby match staged at Moses Mabhida, the iconic stadium which was built for the 2010 Soccer World Cup in South Africa. Kick-off is scheduled for 16h45.

The second match will see rugby return to Orlando Stadium for the first time since the 2010 Vodacom Super Rugby final, in which the Vodacom Bulls beat the DHL Stormers in an epic local encounter.

In fact, for two weeks in May 2010, nearly 80 000 rugby supporters flocked to Orlando Stadium for the Vodacom Bulls’ semifinal against the Crusaders and final against the DHL Stormers, as Loftus Versfeld was not available due to the Soccer World Cup that year.

The main match at Orlando Stadium, which will start at 20h00, will be preceded by a curtain-raiser at 17h00 when the Vodacom Blue Bulls take on the Xerox Golden Lions in the SuperSport Rugby Challenge Gauteng-derby.

“The hosting of these matches at two iconic venues will not only make for superb weekends of top-class international rugby between South Africa and France, but are also hugely exciting as we’ll be playing at non-traditional rugby venues,” said SA Rugby CEO Jurie Roux.

“We would not have been able to do this without the assistance of the Gauteng Provincial Government and eThekwini Municipality – Moses Mabhida Stadium and we would like to thank them for their commitment to bringing rugby to new audiences.

“Supporters can look forward to two unique days of international rugby against a French Barbarians team that we understand will be quite strong, and will provide a proper challenge to Johan Ackermann and his SA ‘A’ team.”

More information on ticket prices and other exciting plans around these matches will be announced in due course.
Some friends (Stormers supporters) were at the Orlando Stadium for the 2010 final and they had such an absolute blast (despite the result).

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
might be the wrong section...apologies. My father sent me this.....

[video=youtube;nVzzhq5whWE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVzzhq5whWE[/video]
I was hoping it will be bad...but it was excellent.

I'd love to tackle that "schoolgirl" myself....she's hawt.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Ben Youngs pulls out of Lions tour in response to family illness

Devastating family news has led the Leicester scrum-half Ben Youngs to withdraw from next month’s British & Irish Lions tour of New Zealand. The England international made the decision after it was discovered that the wife of his brother and team-mate, Tom, has terminal cancer.

“We are a very close family and, as I am sure everyone can respect, time is now precious together,” said Ben in a statement issued by the Tigers after the club secured a Premiership play-off spot with a 28-23 victory at Worcester. “The most important thing for me at this difficult time is to be able to offer as much support as I can to Tom and his family in the remaining time we all have together.

Scotland’s Greig Laidlaw called up to replace scrum-half for New Zealand trip.
Much respect.

bigboy529

Expert Member
So glad for CJ Stander, he wouldn't have reached the same career highs if he staid in SA. Permanently lost for the Boks now which is a pitty, mar ja.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Live streaming of the World Cup Draw here

[video=youtube_share;AJ9Ls_PKCR0]https://youtu.be/AJ9Ls_PKCR0[/video]

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Bok Squad announcement (including SA A squad) from 13:00 today on SS Blitz.

Last edited:

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
The Springbok squad for the Castle Lager Incoming Series (in alphabetical order):

Forwards (18):
Lood de Jager (lock), Vodacom Bulls – 28 caps, 20 points (4 tries)
Pieter-Steph du Toit (lock), DHL Stormers – 20 caps, 15 points (3 tries)
Ruan Dreyer (prop), Emirates Lions – uncapped
Eben Etzebeth (lock), DHL Stormers – 54 caps, 10 points (2 tries)
Steven Kitshoff (prop), Bordeaux Bègles (France) – 10 caps, 0 points
Siya Kolisi (flank), DHL Stormers – 16 caps, 0 points
Jaco Kriel (loose forward), Emirates Lions – 7 caps, 0 points
Frans Malherbe (prop), DHL Stormers – 15 caps, 0 points
Malcolm Marx (hooker), Emirates Lions – 2 caps, 0 points
Bongi Mbonambi (hooker), DHL Stormers – 5 caps; 0 points
Oupa Mohoje (loose forward), Toyota Cheetahs – 15 tests, 0 points
Franco Mostert (lock), Emirates Lions – 7 caps, 0 points
Tendai Mtawarira (prop), Cell C Sharks – 87 caps, 10 points (2 tries)
Lizo Gqoboka (prop), Vodacom Bulls – uncapped
Coenie Oosthuizen (prop), Cell C Sharks – 23 caps, 15 points (3 tries)
Chiliboy Ralepelle (hooker), Cell C Sharks – 22 caps, 5 points (1 try)
Duane Vermeulen (loose forward), Toulon (France) – 37 caps, 10 points (2 tries)
Warren Whiteley (captain, loose forward), Emirates Lions – 15 caps, 15 points (3 tries)

Backs (13):
Lukhanyo Am (centre), Cell C Sharks – uncapped
Andries Coetzee (fullback) Emirates Lions – uncapped
Ross Cronje (scrumhalf), Emirates Lions – uncapped
Damian de Allende (centre), DHL Stormers – 22 Caps, 15 points (3 tries)
Francois Hougaard (scrumhalf), Worcester (England) – 39 caps, 25 points (5 tries)
Elton Jantjies (flyhalf), Emirates Lions – 11 caps, 78 points (12 conversions, 18 penalties)
Jesse Kriel (centre), Vodacom Bulls – 17 caps, 15 points (3 tries)
Dillyn Leyds (wing/utility back), DHL Stormers – uncapped
Rudy Paige (scrumhalf), Vodacom Bulls – 7 caps, 0 points
Raymond Rhule (wing) Toyota Cheetahs – uncapped
Jan Serfontein (centre), Vodacom Bulls – 26 caps, 10 points (2 tries)
Courtnall Skosan (wing), Emirates Lions – uncapped
Frans Steyn (flyhalf/centre), Montpellier (France) – 53 caps, 132 points (10 tries, 5 conversions, 21 penalties, 3 drop goals)

Lions: 9 members
Stormers: 7 members
Bulls: 5 members
Sharks: 4 members
Cheetahs: 2 members

Last edited:

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Some real head scratchers here... Disappointed to see that Ruan Combrinck has only made the SA A squad but I assume that can only be as a result of his prolonged absence due to injury (otherwise, it's another epic brainfart).

FoXtroT

Expert Member
Wow, I don't know what to say. Very very inexperienced team. Well done to Warren, he made the right choice there. But the rest I don't know what to make of it.

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
meh, was hoping more current exciting players would get a look in but no, certain muppets have their places cemented come what may

FoXtroT

Expert Member
Some real head scratchers here... Disappointed to see that Ruan Combrinck has only made the SA A squad but I assume that can only be as a result of his prolonged absence due to injury (otherwise, it's another epic brainfart).
Yeah very strange. He came back on fire.

Also no sign of Lambie in either team? Very worrying that, I take it the concussion is worse than initially thought.

Edit: Reinach also missing from both teams. Wtf?

Last edited: