2017 International Tests

DanDango

Executive Member
https://www.businesslive.co.za/bd/s...ulen-likely-to-play-off-bench-against-france/

Springbok loose forward Duane Vermeulen will only join the squad five days before the opening Test against France because of club commitments‚ which could influence who gets into the run-on Test team.

Vermeulen’s club Toulon qualified for the French Top 14 final after beating La Rochelle 18-15 in the semifinal and will now play Clermont in the showpiece next Sunday.

That would mean the earliest Vermeulen would return to SA is next Monday evening.

Considering he has missed all the Bok training camps‚ will only have three training sessions with the squad and is required to start out of position at blindside flank to accommodate new captain Warren Whiteley‚ Vermeulen is unlikely to make the run-on team.

Bok coach Allister Coetzee on Saturday added Sharks flank Jean-Luc du Preez to the Bok squad‚ a sure sign they are planning to play without Vermeulen.

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
I hope they do play without him, guys playing their arses of here should always get first bite ahead of these unknowns/unfits/whatevers

Sl8er

Executive Member

Yeah, it's only fair.

I hope they do play without him, guys playing their arses of here should always get first bite ahead of these unknowns/unfits/whatevers

I agree, but also, the couple of times I saw him play, he was a monster. It would be stupid to leave him out -Vermeulen, that is.
I just wish he'd come back to SA and spend more time with Boks in training...but...money, unfortunately, talks.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
New Springbok jersey is quite boring.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Springboks/pics-springbok-bok-jersey-unveiled-20170531

ABs have a special edition jersey for the Lions tour.
BK0732_01_laydown.jpg

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Not sure if someone wants to start a B&I Lions thread or just keep it here but it's good to see the tour games are televised (at least tomorrow's game is). Coverage starts from 09:05.

My fervent hope is that the Lions stay by and large injury free. I'd hate to see the tour diluted due to an extensive injury list!

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Geeze. The BIL had to work bloody hard to beat the NZ Provincial Barbarians. Basically Currie Cup level players...

Sl8er

Executive Member
Geeze. The BIL had to work bloody hard to beat the NZ Provincial Barbarians. Basically Currie Cup level players...

Yeah.
If they don't up their game, the AB are going to wipe the floor with them.

mbayshark

Expert Member
"The Springboks kick off their test series against France on Saturday, and will start the series without Duane Vermeulen and Damian de Allende.

SA Rugby confirmed that both players will miss the first test on Saturday. Vermeulen played in Toulon's loss against Clermont yesterday evening and will only join the squad on Tuesday. Jean-Luc du Preez was called into the squad for exactly this reason.

De Allende is ruled out as a result of an injury.

Meanwhile, another centre in Lionel Mapoe is doubtful to start the test as a result of some niggle.

The details surrounding the injuries are quite vague, with no press release out with information, rather just a simple tweet.*

With de Allende out and Mapoe doubtful, a return to the starting line-up for Frans Steyn looks increasingly likely."

SOURCE: https://www.sharksworld.co.za/2017/06/05/first-test-non-starters-and-doubtfuls/

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Steyn and De Jongh to form the midfield combination then?

EDIT: I see that Kriel and Serfontein are still in the squad as centres so there are a few possible combos.

Last edited:

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
B&I Lions team to face The Blues on Wednesday:

Lions (15-1): Leigh Halfpenny (Wales); Jack Nowell (England), Jared Payne (Ireland), Robbie Henshaw (Ireland), Elliot Daly (England); Dan Biggar (Wales), Rhys Webb (Wales); CJ Stander (Ireland), Justin Tipuric (Wales), James Haskell (England); Courtney Lawes (England), Maro Itoje (England); Dan Cole (England), Ken Owens (captain, Wales), Jack McGrath (Ireland)

Replacements: Rory Best (Ireland), Joe Marler (England), Kyle Sinckler (England), Iain Henderson (Ireland), Peter O'Mahony (Ireland), Greig Laidlaw (Scotland), Johnny Sexton (Ireland), Liam Williams (Wales)

SlowInternet

Executive Member
"The Springboks kick off their test series against France on Saturday, and will start the series without Duane Vermeulen and Damian de Allende.

SA Rugby confirmed that both players will miss the first test on Saturday. Vermeulen played in Toulon's loss against Clermont yesterday evening and will only join the squad on Tuesday. Jean-Luc du Preez was called into the squad for exactly this reason.

De Allende is ruled out as a result of an injury.

Meanwhile, another centre in Lionel Mapoe is doubtful to start the test as a result of some niggle.

The details surrounding the injuries are quite vague, with no press release out with information, rather just a simple tweet.*

With de Allende out and Mapoe doubtful, a return to the starting line-up for Frans Steyn looks increasingly likely."

SOURCE: https://www.sharksworld.co.za/2017/06/05/first-test-non-starters-and-doubtfuls/

De Allende is no loss at all

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Blues up 12 - 10 at halftime. Not watching the game so I don't know about the quality of rugby on display.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
Blues up 12 - 10 at halftime. Not watching the game so I don't know about the quality of rugby on display.
Blues are pummeling them... They are fortunate Imo to still be in the game. It's 15-13 now, with the Lions getting a penalty