241 Die in Easter Road Accidents

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Preliminary figures indicate that at least 241 people died in road accidents over the Easter holiday, Transport Minister Ben Martins said on Monday.

A total of 201 fatal crashes were recorded during the Easter break, he told reporters in Pretoria.

"It is regrettable and [a] sad reality that this year's preliminary road fatality figure is higher than that of last year, which was 217 as a result of 181 fatal crashes.

"The final figures will be released once the SA Police Service and the traffic officials have reconciled the available information," he said.

Martins said most of the people who died were pedestrians.

"Many passengers also lost their lives because they do not use safety belts. Only two percent of passengers use safety belts compared to 60 percent of drivers," he said.

He said campaigns would now be launched to ensure all passengers, including rear seat passengers, buckled up.

Martins said 250,000 vehicles were stopped during the holiday, and that 79,056 fines were issued. He said 1039 licences were suspended and 1024 vehicles were impounded.

"A total of 864 motorists were arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol. Approximately 600 of these motorists were arrested in urban areas," he said.

The 2013 Easter weekend began on March 28 and ended on April 1.

It coincided with school holidays and took place at the end of the month, which heightened traffic volumes, said Martins.

Source : Sapa /jm/hdw/clh/jje
Date : 08 Apr 2013 13:20

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
More spietkops is the answer. It's obviously working very well so far.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
More spietkops is the answer. It's obviously working very well so far.

I drove in opposite flow this Easter and was surprised how few there were on the road but I see some clever bastard has made avg speed prosecution from Van Reenens all the way to Durbs, with a small gap like 30kms. That seems to have worked.

Executive Member
"Many passengers also lost their lives because they do not use safety belts. Only two percent of passengers use safety belts compared to 60 percent of drivers," he said.

Is this right? I hardly every seen drivers without seat belts on these days.

Hemps

Honorary Master
Wonder how many where in unroadworthy vehicles and also what vehicles are most commonly involved in these incidents.
We all know how taxis are but recently I have seen Merc drivers driving like complete idiots.

Albereth

Honorary Master

Is this right? I hardly every seen drivers without seat belts on these days.

It is BS.

Most of the deaths are due to pedestrians and after that a disproportionate number are caused by taxis.

Yet the 'authorities' will continue to go after the wrong people becuase it is easier to justify all that money they waste.

You want to make a difference? Arrest anyone walking alongside highways and motorways, or any road with a speed limit above 60 and no pavement. Including school children. And get hardarsed with the taxis.

And roadblocks over the holidays add about an hour to someone's trip - that's an hour's worth of additional fatigue.

Albereth

Honorary Master
I drove in opposite flow this Easter and was surprised how few there were on the road but I see some clever bastard has made avg speed prosecution from Van Reenens all the way to Durbs, with a small gap like 30kms. That seems to have worked.

Interestingly AARTO doesn't allow for average speed prosecution.

I think that there are about 5 average speed thingies. They aren't just on the N3 - there is a stupid one on the road from Mooi River to Rosetta. I say stupid because if you aren't travelling the entire length you can almost do whatever speed you want.

The spietkops in Natal should police the trucks. I think that everytime that I have been on van Reenens there will be a truck over taking another one. One doing about 20kph, and the other doing about 21kph in the no trucks lane.

McSack

Executive Member
... and in other news, the easter road death toll has dropped in the Western Cape

(OK it was only 20 last year and this year it's 14, but an improvement never-the-less)

Just one more thing that the DA has improved on where the rest of the country is going backwards
;) ;) ... nudge ... nudge