3D Television: Active Shutter versus Passive technology

sin_x

I don't get it. The article says:
Buy Passive 3D if you plan on buying a 42-inch or smaller TV, the TV will mainly be used for 3D animation movies, and/or you want to invite your friends over to watch sports in 3D.

But then goes on to say that Active has a bigger viewing angle.
So, when you invite your friends over to watch 3D sport, you have to huddle together to get full effect?

Sensorei

Executive Member
Active shutter 3D has better resolution and a generally smoother 3D experience. Colours also look crisper. Active uses 1080 lines vs passive's 540 lines. However the actual 3D depth perception is the same with both technologies if you are looking at 2011 TVs.

The problem with active 3D glasses over passive is the price! Samsung have recently dropped their RRP of the ssg3100 glasses to $50 so we should see a price decrease here soon.

Sensorei

Executive Member

So, when you invite your friends over to watch 3D sport, you have to huddle together to get full effect?

True, active has a MUCH better viewing angle.

Sent from my MB525 using MyBroadband Android App

BGE

Expert Member

Is it not fun to huddle together, especially if theres a hot blonde or 2 along??

Last edited:

BGE

Expert Member
Exactly! You obviously have been following Lady Rugga!

LOM

Honorary Master
What is the cheapest reasonable 3d set? I'm thinking 32" ish or up. I'd hate to spend money on rubbish, but it would be great to consider an affordable 3d set.

Sensorei

Executive Member
What is the cheapest reasonable 3d set? I'm thinking 32" ish or up. I'd hate to spend money on rubbish, but it would be great to consider an affordable 3d set.

3D benefits a lot from a bigger screen. 32" 3D is pretty pointless. Best value is the 43 inch Samsung Plasma PS43D490 for R6499-R6999. Currently Plasma is better for 3D than LCD unless you have a top of the range 400hz LCD.

OverKill69

I got me a 3D projector!

The problem is... PS3 doesn't utilise DLP or Nvidia 3D view :( It utilises some other rubbish that apparently only supports full frame wadda wadda instead of side by side this or that and SUPRISE! only the NEWEST 3D tvs are equipped with.
My PC has an amazing video card... but now I still need to fork out for a NVIDIA 3D view kit!!!

This stuff never ends!

evilsee

Is there an industry standard for active glasses? will they be compatible across various manufacturers?

waz7710

i think there is still a way to go before I'll take the plunge and splurge out on a 3D set.....just a few more years to go.......

Saajid

Expert Member
Most important question for consumers, after price, is which technology has the best availability, the most content, and the most compatibility with existing hardware and content.

No use going for the best tech, when very few are supporting it, or there is very little content to consume.

Does the PS3 and other Blu-Ray players support both active and passive? Or is it a function of the TV to output using the correct technology. All these compatibility questions are making my head spin.

LOM

Honorary Master
I got me a 3D projector!

The problem is... PS3 doesn't utilise DLP or Nvidia 3D view :( It utilises some other rubbish that apparently only supports full frame wadda wadda instead of side by side this or that and SUPRISE! only the NEWEST 3D tvs are equipped with.
My PC has an amazing video card... but now I still need to fork out for a NVIDIA 3D view kit!!!

This stuff never ends!

So can it be used for ANYTHING?

al360

cause how many glasses can u afford to dish out for friends to come over once in a while to watch hence the passive works cause those glasses are like R5 compared to
R600

al360

Most important question for consumers, after price, is which technology has the best availability, the most content, and the most compatibility with existing hardware and content.

No use going for the best tech, when very few are supporting it, or there is very little content to consume.

Does the PS3 and other Blu-Ray players support both active and passive? Or is it a function of the TV to output using the correct technology. All these compatibility questions are making my head spin.

supports both its the function of the tv as to how to output the data thats how i understand thou i could be speaking under correction