5 reasons why the iPad Pro should be your next computer

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
5 reasons why the iPad Pro should be your next computer

Apple has released a video outlining why it believes that the new iPad Pro can replace customers' traditional computers.

One of the reasons outlined in the video is that it is "more powerful than most computers", before showing it being used for gaming and other power-intensive functions.

cerebus

Honorary Master
I don't really understand why they would push this angle so hard. They already make excellent laptops with full-fat desktop applications. The iPad has another purpose, it's useful but it can't be a computer. I couldn't do my work on an iPad, it would be hell. Maybe a very small subsection of professionals can replace their laptops with an iPad but for most of us, we need a real desktop.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Reasons why iPad cannot replace a computer:
1. Cannot access the filesystem like you can on a real computer.
2. Locked down terribly (cannot change many notification tones)
3. Cannot add third party applications, everything has to be via the AppStore
4. Device's screen is easily cracked
5. No USB host, no SD card slot, no way or means to attach peripherals such as a Wacom pad
6. No digital video (HDMI or other) output without having to either fork a fortune for an adapter or use an Apple TV
7. It's NOT intended to be a computer in the first place

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Yeah, no..

Sorry Apple but the iPad Pro is not a complete replacement just yet.
"For me personally" is what you forgot to add.

For many people it can happily replace their PC's/Laptops as they weren't using their full capacity anyway.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
"For me personally" is what you forgot to add.

For many people it can happily replace their PC's/Laptops as they weren't using their full capacity anyway.
I would hazard a guess for the vast majority of people it couldn't... if they work with productivity applications...

Its close, but not quite there yet.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
1. Cannot access the filesystem like you can on a real computer.
This is a biggy, but in many cases you don't really need to. I can understand why they are reluctant on this one though as it's a massive hole that opens up for them and they would need to think about it cleverly to not make it a security problem or vulnerability.

iOS 13 should address this, the iPad Pro is a bit ahead of the software right now.
2. Locked down terribly (cannot change many notification tones)
I have never really felt locked down in iOS, especially not the modern versions.

Could it be more granular? Sure, but that would also make it more complex.

3. Cannot add third party applications, everything has to be via the AppStore
This is a good thing to me.

4. Device's screen is easily cracked
Look after your stuff better?

5. No USB host, no SD card slot, no way or means to attach peripherals such as a Wacom pad
It has USB-C now.

6. No digital video (HDMI or other) output without having to either fork a fortune for an adapter or use an Apple TV
Again, it has USB-C now so it can do this.

7. It's NOT intended to be a computer in the first place
Actually that is exactly Apple's pitch for the device.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
I think for general purpose computing. It should be okay with the addition of a wireless keyboard.

Should be able to process a couple of docs, and maybe a spreadsheet fairly quickly through Google Suite.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I would hazard a guess for the vast majority of people it couldn't... if they work with productivity applications...

Its close, but not quite there yet.
It's interesting because a number of Youtubers (depends what you call productivity applications I guess) have come out to show how they create, edit, render, process their entire channels and business on ONLY an iPad Pro without any other computer involved.

Sure there are some hoops to jump through, many facilitated by Shortcuts now but it's quite possible to do it if you kind of setup your workflow for it once and stick with it.

In my personal case if it wasn't for the desktop restricted VPN applications I need to use I could happily have made the switch.

As it stands I could do it with RDP, but that would be cheating as I'm using a PC to make it work.

I think the vast majority of people out there actually don't do the type of deeply technical work we do and could in fact do it quite happily on an iPad.

Specifically thinking outside of IT, I can't think of many admin and finance type setups that in reality require a full blown computer to make it work.

So in reality I think it's only the minority for whom it wouldn't really work.

I know for home use I could happily do away with a full blown computer...in fact I have 2-3 years ago already.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Need me a USB port to plug me mouse, keyboard and RD into....
RD?

The keyboard is already there.

Mouse is becoming more and more relevant as a need I have to agree. It can be odd using an iPad with a keyboard and then needing to use your finger or the pencil to navigate, especially when it's standing up at a distance.

newby_investor

Expert Member
So in reality I think it's only the minority for whom it wouldn't really work.

I know for home use I could happily do away with a full blown computer...in fact I have 2-3 years ago already.
This.

For me personally, since you can get a fairly decent full-blown computer for the price of an iPad Pro, I have a normal computer rather. But honestly, aside from work, I barely switch the thing on at home. At this point I could quite easily replace a computer with something like* an iPad Pro and have my needs met.

* something that I could install Linux on, that is, and hack around until it's the way I want it.