5G Rain Speeds Slower then Expected

tjm21

So received my 5g Modem and Sim Yesterday.
Moving around the House and only getting speeds between 80-120MBPS.
I'm less than 1km away from the tower and thought I would get much better speeds.
I contacted Rain through the chat and they said they couldn't help or send a technician as the speeds range from 80-700Mbps and I am in that range.
I do have an external antenna (Dual Polarised High Gain LTE Antenna) that I used for my 4g Modem but I don't think it will work for the 5g, am I wrong?
Looking for any advice or tips to try get the speed up.

Stillie

Expert Member
4G wont work. No one has a 5G antenna either.

They waiting for the other providers to release 5G so that they know the specs for them or something like that

Regarding the speeds I get the same as you but the guy next to me gets 300 so its probably a LOS issue

Reactions: Yuu

BradleyKZN

Expert Member
So received my 5g Modem and Sim Yesterday.
Moving around the House and only getting speeds between 80-120MBPS.
I'm less than 1km away from the tower and thought I would get much better speeds.
I contacted Rain through the chat and they said they couldn't help or send a technician as the speeds range from 80-700Mbps and I am in that range.
I do have an external antenna (Dual Polarised High Gain LTE Antenna) that I used for my 4g Modem but I don't think it will work for the 5g, am I wrong?
Looking for any advice or tips to try get the speed up.
Can you post the signal stats you see on the router?

Reactions: Yuu

tjm21

4G wont work. No one has a 5G antenna either.

They waiting for the other providers to release 5G so that they know the specs for them or something like that

Regarding the speeds, I get the same as you but the guy next to me gets 300 so its probably a LOS issue
Thanks for the reply.

I thought the antenna wouldn't work so thanks for clarifying.

Rain representative on MyBroadband just organised for a technician to come through and have a look. I don't
think its the LOS issue as I can see the tower from my house and its a 2 story, but you never know.

Hopefully, the technician can help and improve the speeds.

Stillie

Expert Member
Thanks for the reply.

Rain representative on MyBroadband just organised for a technician to come through and have a look. I don't
think its the LOS issue as I can see the tower from my house and its a 2 story, but you never know.

who is the rain rep?? I want to get the ODU but rain has not replied to my support mail in 4 days and counting.

Must be the hot weather

Mimen

Thanks for the reply.

Just a question. Why do you need faster data speeds than you getting. Any 20 meg speed is fast enough for gaming.

OnlyOneKenobi

I also don't have any positive feedback on the 5G product. Despite being in the covered area, I only get about 80-Mbps in one spot in my house and it's not a suitable location for the router. Anywhere else in the house speed varies between 0.8Mbps and 30Mbps... I'm returning the router and cancelling the service.

Scorpion101

I also don't have any positive feedback on the 5G product. Despite being in the covered area, I only get about 80-Mbps in one spot in my house and it's not a suitable location for the router. Anywhere else in the house speed varies between 0.8Mbps and 30Mbps... I'm returning the router and cancelling the service.
Hi just out of curiosity which suburb you in? and have you tried the router outside at a high point for better LOS to the tower

BradleyKZN

Expert Member
Just a question. Why do you need faster data speeds than you getting. Any 20 meg speed is fast enough for gaming.
A 1mbps line is fast enough for gaming in the right conditions, its all about the downloading and streaming. 20meg isn't ideal for 4k these days

OnlyOneKenobi

So I practically had the Router outside when I achieved sufficient speed to activate it. Keeping the router outside or sitting on a windowsill with the window open or mounting it on a pole on my roof is not practical though.

cavedog

Honorary Master
So the Rain technicians just left, they were amazing they helped position it just right and the speed is now 300MBPS +, I had such great service and they came prepared. Didn't need to get an external antenna. Really happy with the Service from Rain
This is likely why they haven't launched 5G in other areas as they have their own technicians responding 5G queries and dealing with them. They are likely not sorted with technicians in other metros yet.