900MHz or 2.4Ghz?

martinmo

Hey dudes and dudettes

I need some help from the all knowing WUG or WISP folks. I want to create a wireless bridge between myself and my brother's apartment which is 3.5km away. He lives in a complex that has no adsl or fibre infrastructure so they all rely on 3G/4G. I want to share my internet connection with him however even though we have line of sight he cannot mount anything on the outside of his apartment. Now he lives on the top floor so I was hoping that we could mount a Ubiquiti Powerbeam or Nanobeam inside his roof as the only obstruction will be the roof tiles.

Will this work? Would I be able to use the 2.4Ghz or should I use a 900MHz device? Also what kind of throughput can I expect as we want to share files through this link as well?

I would really appreciate some help guys.

Nuke

900Mhz is not available in SA. 2.4 may penetrate roof tiles better than 5Ghz (which is available here), but expect it to either not work or to give endless trouble.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
Ubiquiti PowerBeam M2 will probably work, but Ubiquiti also has window mounts for the NanoBeams, which you can use if you want to mount one in the window, in which case a NanoBeam M5 would work.

martinmo

900Mhz is not available in SA. 2.4 may penetrate roof tiles better than 5Ghz (which is available here), but expect it to either not work or to give endless trouble.
When you say endless trouble are you saying the connection will be slow or intermittent? I don't mind a slow connection as long as it is stable.

martinmo

Ubiquiti PowerBeam M2 will probably work, but Ubiquiti also has window mounts for the NanoBeams, which you can use if you want to mount one in the window, in which case a NanoBeam M5 would work.
Could this window mount work on the outside of the window or would it need to be mounted inside?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Inside is fine. Under normal roof tiles (them cement ones) works okay as well but is likely to show some attenuation when wet.
The lower freq has a better chance of penetrating structures than the higher frequencies. Both the 2.4 and 5.8 GHz ISM bands should be suitable though.

As stated before there isn't an allocation in SA at 900 MHz available to the public.

Not going to comment on the legalities though as I quite understand the problem your brother is faced with what with useless Body Corporates who refuse to or do not understand their obligations to ensure reasonable access for service operators to provide services other than cellular.

martinmo

Inside is fine. Under normal roof tiles (them cement ones) works okay as well but is likely to show some attenuation when wet.
The lower freq has a better chance of penetrating structures than the higher frequencies. Both the 2.4 and 5.8 GHz ISM bands should be suitable though.

As stated before there isn't an allocation in SA at 900 MHz available to the public.

Not going to comment on the legalities though as I quite understand the problem your brother is faced with what with useless Body Corporates who refuse to or do not understand their obligations to ensure reasonable access for service operators to provide services other than cellular.
I can understand that it might not look aesthetically pleasing if everyone had a little powerbeam/nanobeam outside their house but then they should provide some sort of infrastructure other than the pricey 3G/4G connections. rant over

Thanks for the feedback I think I'll go with the 2.4GHz as I would rather have the penetration of 2.4GHz over 5GHz. Any other recommendations on which Powerbeam to use other than the M2 like Slootvreter suggested? Also if I do this will we both need the some device i.e can he have a powerbeam and I have a nanobeam or do we need the same device to get the best result?

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
The PowerBeam is small, the dish is 40cm in diameter. The NanoBeam is something like 20cm, but I'm not sure how effective it would be at that range.

EDIT: You also get a PowerBeam M5 in 30cm

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Rather match the systems with the same terminals both sides.

martinmo

The PowerBeam is small, the dish is 40cm in diameter. The NanoBeam is something like 20cm, but I'm not sure how effective it would be at that range.

EDIT: You also get a PowerBeam M5 in 30cm
Thanks to all of you as this information was extremely helpful. I'll match the systems as suggested as well. Thanks a lot you guys.