Abnormally high CPU usage

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
Usually I never needed to take my charger with to the office and still get back home with 30% or so battery power left, but recently my battery died by 12 and I started noticing the below. WTF is this Windows Command Processor and why does it use all of my CPU's cycles???

wernerdp

It is a windows process , but just on the look of it , it has an virus , download malwarebytes , run a scan

Pilgrim

Wugger
Right click on one of the column headings and enable the path or command column. Might give you some insight.

WAslayer

Expert Member
Use sysinternal's process explorer to see if any untoward applications are running CMD commands..

gamer16

Honorary Master
That's very odd, are you using command prompt for anything heavy or is it just idling?

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
Use sysinternal's process explorer to see if any untoward applications are running CMD commands..
There is also process hacker
Damn, I forgot about this thread. I haven't tried any of the suggestions yet, but will give it a shot later. Right now, I'm just killing the processes manually whenever I hear the CPU fan spinning loudly.

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
That's very odd, are you using command prompt for anything heavy or is it just idling?
No, nothing specific. Atom, however does use cmd.exe to compile Golang code. Problem is, even with Atom not running the cmd processes start at some random time in the background.

gamer16

Honorary Master
Damn, I forgot about this thread. I haven't tried any of the suggestions yet, but will give it a shot later. Right now, I'm just killing the processes manually whenever I hear the CPU fan spinning loudly.
W10 and its odd behaviours, what annoys me is when the PC is idling long after I've left it there will still be loads of disk activity but as soon as you touch it it stops, and its constant so I cant the wtf its doing.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
W10 and its odd behaviours, what annoys me is when the PC is idling long after I've left it there will still be loads of disk activity but as soon as you touch it it stops, and its constant so I cant the wtf its doing.
Sounds like windows is indexing.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Looking forward to what you find. Have not had an incident of that since 2016.

Used during the update process.
When last did you allow Windows update to run?
Only happens at work when connected to the work LAN?
What are your update settings? Do you allow PCs on the LAN to update from your machine or have you blocked that?

Last edited:

gamer16

Honorary Master
Im pretty sure that uses indexing too.

It does but it takes less than 2 minutes and so far as I can see doesn't rewrite the whole index. This is a case of the drives being utilized for hours as I'll wake up for something in the middle of the night and it's still going. Think a process or utilization tracker of some sort is in order. Also can't be defragging as that's been disabled and replaced with another which I run manually.